Restarting my 225 3' x 5' x 2' After 4 years

Monkeynaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large pvc is a smell trap? I like that idea.

I have been mulling over some ideas for a skimate locker myself. I didn't know they had air tight containers like that. I just showed my wife this and she said, "yeah they have air tight storage containers". I should have asked her weeks ago.
It will make installing level sensors easy while still being air tight. I also want to have a pump in mine to pump the skimate into a drain line. That wide opening will make installing everything easy.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large pvc is a smell trap? I like that idea.

I have been mulling over some ideas for a skimate locker myself. I didn't know they had air tight containers like that. I just showed my wife this and she said, "yeah they have air tight storage containers". I should have asked her weeks ago.
It will make installing level sensors easy while still being air tight. I also want to have a pump in mine to pump the skimate into a drain line. That wide opening will make installing everything easy.

I have a DIY thread on it here. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/diy-skimate-locker.367280/
I attached the drain from the skimmer to the fitting on top of the container. The large PVC pipe is for venting. I put in a drain screen and then filled that PVC pipe with a carbon sponge to eliminate any smell. I've only had it operating a couple weeks but so far working great. I like your idea of a pump to drain, I have plenty of extra MJ1200's that would be perfect I think I may do that upgrade tomorrow. It's large enough that it will take a month to fill it up even half way so I can leave town for a week or two with no worries at all.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since my last update and I have made a few changes. I have added a skimate locker that is DIY I posted it in the DIY forum. I also added a 1/2 HP Penguin Chiller. I have also added corals for the WWC, and Acan lord live sales.
IMG_0177.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG

Things are progressing well my current fish list is Blue Hippo Tang, Powder Brown Tang, Red Sea Sailfin Tang, Purple Tang, Pair of Ocelaris Clowns, Yellow Head Jawfish, and Blue Reef Chromis. The only other fish I would like to add is a pistol shrimp and pair of shrimp gobies and later after tank ages more I will add a Manderin. Other than that just need to add more corals.
I also just purchased a KR620 Kalk reactor from another reefer that I expect to receive next week.

Thanks For looking.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I bought this unbelievably nice Anemone on the @AcanLord live sale. I bought other nice corals also but this will fore sure be my favorite. This will be the second Live sale from Acanlord which I have purchased and I have to say the first was a great experience and I can't wait to receive the new shipment next week. I would recommend them to anyone.
anemone.jpg

I also bought a used Precision Marine KR620 Kalk Reactor and a BRS doser pump. I will be getting this hooked up over the next couple of days. Tis should be able to supply Calcium and Alkalinity to keep things stable.
IMG_0184.JPG

I also added a couple of 24" T5 lights to my light rack. Thought the more diverse spectrum I could get would be the best thing for the tank so I will be experimenting with different T5 bulbs to see what works best.
IMG_0185.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been way too long since my last update and a lot has happened. First thing is that I purchased an ATI 6 bulb dim able 36" T-5 light which is centered on the tank with the 4 Mars Aqua LED's on each side (2 per side).
I then built a counter top area complete with sink and shelf for a place to do water testing and other tank tasks.
IMG_2236.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about 6 weeks ago I made what I'm thinking is my best purchase so far. I got an Apex controller along with ATK, DOS and DDR. With a very busy work schedule and travel this has really help to stabilize the tank parameters and I am already seeing a difference in the corals.
IMG_2233.JPG

IMG_2234.JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I went over and visited with Harry and got to meet him for the first time, What a nice guy and some nice tanks. I went to get a few frags and left with an even dozen:). Don't tell my wife;)
IMG_2222.JPG

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can host a meeting this year. I'm anxious to see this in person. Really nice setup.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you can host a meeting this year. I'm anxious to see this in person. Really nice setup.

I definitely plan on it. As soon as we start getting good weather because I would like to have more of an outdoor affair. I have been making some tasty meats on my smoker grill.Just to get your mouth watering.
IMG_2164[1].JPG

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a nice deal from Algae Barn they had their 5280 Pods buy 2 get 1 free. So I just added 15740 Pods to my refugium. My Mandarin should be a happy fellow for a while. I already have a large amount of Cheato filled with pods but figured it wouldn't hurt to add a few more. The deal also comes with 2 bottles of Ocean Majik Phytoplankton so the Pods should be happy until they become food for the other inhabitants in the display.

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I owe you a couple of frags I believe. I would like to repay the debt. I also have some rose bubble tip anemones for sale if you’re interested I got a large number of them from a person so they are quite cheap

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Major Upgrade coming to the Mehaffy 225. I just scored 3 Kessil 360X lights of this forum. I should get them next week.Can't wait to see how they look on the tank. I will need to buy 1 more but figured 3 is a good start.

wadesims2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you actually did it. Let me know when you set it up can’t wait to see what it looks like

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped on the sale forum this morning and a guy had 3 of the new 360X and the controller for a good price so I grabbed them. Ill need to get another one to cover the whole tank but this will be a good start. I am planning on the 4 Kessils on the corners with the ATI 6 bulb fixture in the middle. I should be completely set on Lighting for this tank.

OP
OP
mehaffydr

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is WOW. I received 3 of my Kessil lights today. I was late getting home from work and then had to leave to go to my granddaughters Karate class so I didn't have much time when I got home. I took down the current light fixture that housed 4 Mars Aqua lights and 1 ATI 6 bulb t5 fixture. I then temporarily installed 2 of the new Kessil 360x lights. First off these things are incredibly small and lite. I can't believe the amount of light they put out. Also the look of the tank is incredible. Before it was good n=but just kind of plain looking. The shimmer that these lights create is awesome I don't understand how they do it but I am extremely please with this purchase. Now to just give them some time and see how the tank likes them.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! You have one of my favorite fish too, potters angel. I had one for about 3 or 4 year before I went SPS and he was a nipper. I sold him but still miss it and that was 7 years ago.

I got the pleasure to see them in the wild diving in Hawaii.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back