Restarting tank

Nathan4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on restarting my tank due to laziness, which led into an absolute overgrowth of algae (hair, dino, and red slime). The only thing from the old tank going to the new one will be the fish. I'll get new sand, new dry rock. does anyone know how long the tank should sit empty to not have the algae come back right after I fill it up. Or how to sanitize the tank after I empty it.

Or if you just have any suggestions or tips on restarting a tank would help too

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on restarting my tank due to laziness, which led into an absolute overgrowth of algae (hair, dino, and red slime). The only thing from the old tank going to the new one will be the fish. I'll get new sand, new dry rock. does anyone know how long the tank should sit empty to not have the algae come back right after I fill it up. Or how to sanitize the tank after I empty it.

Or if you just have any suggestions or tips on restarting a tank would help too
You're restarting the same thing you're going through now. My tank didn't balance out until around a year old. Starting with new dry rock, you're just repeating the process.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is a normal part of the maturing process when using dry rock. The things you can do are remove what you can by hand, maintain your parameters and reduce white light and bolster your CuC. You're never going to have dry rock that doesn't go through the ugly phase.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back