Restarting

shuggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g. Due to some health issues, it sat empty for the past 3 years. I kept water running in it, but not salt water. I just kept it topped off. No water changes, no lights, etc. The base and canopy etc was just too big to mess with. Now I’m ready to restart it. I’m lost!
Before I lost my last fish, that I had for 11 1/2 years, I was battling bristle worms and GHA. I have a DSB. I want new sand but having a brain dead moment on how to get all of that old sand out. My base is really tall so my tank is at eye level. I’m 5’2”, even on a ladder I can’t reach the bottom.
Would you nuke the rock? As I mentioned above I gave only been topping it off with fresh water for 3 years. I really don’t want to deal with bristle worms again if anything is hiding deep in my roach pores.
Any tips on restarting this? Thank you. I look forward to getting to know you all. I hope I posted in the right thread.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Let's start with why do you want to replace the sand? Just ready for a new look? Or? Is any algae growing in the tank or is it pretty sterile?

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150g. Due to some health issues, it sat empty for the past 3 years. I kept water running in it, but not salt water. I just kept it topped off. No water changes, no lights, etc. The base and canopy etc was just too big to mess with. Now I’m ready to restart it. I’m lost!
Before I lost my last fish, that I had for 11 1/2 years, I was battling bristle worms and GHA. I have a DSB. I want new sand but having a brain dead moment on how to get all of that old sand out. My base is really tall so my tank is at eye level. I’m 5’2”, even on a ladder I can’t reach the bottom.
Would you nuke the rock? As I mentioned above I gave only been topping it off with fresh water for 3 years. I really don’t want to deal with bristle worms again if anything is hiding deep in my roach pores.
Any tips on restarting this? Thank you. I look forward to getting to know you all. I hope I posted in the right thread.

Welcome to R2R! :)

I’m not sure why bristleworms would have been a large problem considering they are good guys to have in a reef tank. Do you just not like the way they look?

Eleni18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to replace the sand and cannot reach the bottom, I would get a long handled shovel, stand on a ladder and shovel out the old sand

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I generally remove old sand by using either :

large cat litter scoop
Plastic broom pan

1601839983778.png

OP
OP
shuggins

shuggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Let's start with why do you want to replace the sand? Just ready for a new look? Or? Is any algae growing in the tank or is it pretty sterile?
No there isn’t any algae at all in it. It has been running with no lights and no inhabitants for 3 years. It hasn’t had a water change in years just topped off with fresh water. I assumed I needed new sand.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Stacey,
You should replace the sand, or rinse it really well since it is likely full of dead stuff and bacteria, not the good kind.
You can rinse with fresh water.
1. Stir up the sand to clean
2. Drain all the water you can
3. Fill to twice sand depth
4. Go to 1 until the water after stirring is clear.
I just went thru this with about 10 lbs of dirty sand, really not worth the effort vs rinsing new sand.
Up to you

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No there isn’t any algae at all in it. It has been running with no lights and no inhabitants for 3 years. It hasn’t had a water change in years just topped off with fresh water. I assumed I needed new sand.
Yep just give it a thorough rinse. The tiny rocks/sand at the store aren't any newer than the tiny rocks in your tank..

OP
OP
shuggins

shuggins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t got that sand out yet. I bought a bucket head last night. I’m going to try vacuuming it out.
The instructions say to remove the filter for liquids, but dirt can damage the motor. I don’t know what to do about wet sand. Am I supposed to leave the filter on? Does anyone know?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Back