Results after you purchased a PAR meter?

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a direct comparison before and after, because it mostly marked a mindset change of mine. The result didn't show until a year or two later.

Before, my mindset was to run this hobby as cheap as possible, trying to push what was achievable with cheap gears. After several years operating under this mode, I had some ups and downs. I was able to kept some considered difficult stuff at the time, like couple maxima clams and anemone. But after I got into sps, and lost them for one reason to another, I decided to crack down on the uncertainties, in order to narrow down the actually problems I need to solve. Getting a PAR meter was one of the first several things I did then.

After that, I stopped mostly on trying out my own ideas and theories on lighting, especially when I found out with the PAR meter that the spread of my lighting was quite uneven. Instead, I just went for some known good solution, and got two Radion XR15. At that time, I didn't have many local reefers or stores in my area, so I didn't have much a chance to experience what good looks like for reef tank lighting. The PAR meter was the only way to educate myself, and eventually convinced myself for the investment.

In hindsight, the most important role the PAR meter play was to convince my stubborn self that I didn't know better than seasoned reefers and high end lighting brings real value, was not just overpriced snake oils.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love the seneye. It not only give PAR, but show the PUR%, which is the actual spectrum used by corals. I changed my light lately for a known chinese brand, but with a new model which had no review. I was able to confirm that the PAR, PUR and coverage were very satisfying, so I completed my set of 4 light. Having a mixed reef, its good to know that your softies dont get too much light and your SPS gets enough. But, as other stated, its not something you use regularly. Now that my light are set, I took measurements or various spots, it will be sitting and waiting for a few months.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Neptune PMK (PAR sensor) is of real value if you have the Apex - it's a cost effective solution, plus it monitors PPFD through the day. If multiple tanks (without Apex devices on each), go for the Apogee MQ-510. If you're OK with toting a laptop around to multiple tanks, any of the plug and play sensors are OK, as long as correction factors are applied. I recently acquired an Apogee PQ-500 Daily Light Integral meter - it reports light intensity and calculates DLI to your smart phone or tablet. I'll report on this new meter in a separate thread.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back