Retrofit an old hybrid

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For a decade I nursed your 36" 2x 150wMH, 2x T5HO and LED combo along. It's time to rip out the MH and insert a couple Hydra 52 HDs. I already have the T5 ballasts hard wired to my apex as the switch kicked the bucket a few months ago so I no longer need the controller aspect of this hybrid. I only need the T5s and the fixture itself. I plan to rip the center module out that houses the switch to better place the Hydras closer together. As an electrician, I will find an elegant solution to send the far ballast power wires and the Hydra wires over into the near T5 section for a clean exit out to the Apex.

If I could sell this unit for $300 I'd just do so and get your new fixture but I would have to put a new switch in it and I doubt anyone would buy it anyways so.....

Has anyone done this and can offer tips?

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have spoken with a few over the years but not much out there. If the Hydras can fit where the MH were you may not have to rip much a part. The fans would need to be powered with the 12VDC power supply so that when the T5 come on the fans would cool the fixture. There is a wire harness to the fans attached to the relay box. You could connect that directly to the 12VDC and it to the AC of the ballast.

Are you going to keep the LED moonlights if you keep the center box?

Let me know and I will be glad to assist with any questions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back