Return pipe over the top of eurobrace

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering a 2nd return pump for redundancy. Instead of plumbing it into the same pipe as the main return pump and then needing check valve's etc, I'm considering having a separate tube or pipe go from my sump up the back of my tank and then up and over the eurobrace. Does anyone see an issue with this? My concern would be somehow the return nozzle coming out of the tank and draining my sump onto the floor. I think the chances of this happening would be slim, but figured I would ask. Unfortunately my eurobrace is not drilled. I guess I would have to build something kind of like this with PVC to get around my eurobrace, but I'm open to ideas. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/3-4-barbed-return-jet-eshopps.html
The purpose of doing this would be:
1. Redundancy if main return pump failed while out of town.
2. This would be a distant 2nd, but added flow if I put randow flow generator of spinning nozzle on the end. Something like a Sea swirl would be cool too, but then run into the eurobrace issue again.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can your drain system keep up with 2 return pumps?
I don't know, that is a good question and one I didn't think about. I know it would handle it for sure if needed by utilizing the emergency drain, but I definitely would want to avoid that and save the emergency drain only for emergency.
My pump is a Fluval SP4 rated at 1822 and for my 2nd pump, I was looking at getting a Fluval SP2 rated at 950gph.
My main drain is 1". I'm not sure how much head pressure loss I have, but I'm sure it is significant.

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you go forward with this? I'm thinking about doing the same with the plumbing of my UV.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would say you’re way overthinking this. With decades in the hobbie can’t recall hearing of a single tank disaster because a return pump failed. One pump is enough. if you’re worried buy an eheim hobby pump. Have a few that are over 20 years old and still running. Hope you have a controller for your heater. Have heard of plenty of disasters in that regard

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering about putting a pipe over my eurobrace, it sounds bad but I'd like to see it first.

I assume your talking about me overthinking something or something.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering about putting a pipe over my eurobrace, it sounds bad but I'd like to see it first.

I assume your talking about me overthinking something or something.
I think he’s talking about me, however my friend had a reef tank years ago and his MagDrive died while he was on vacation. The pump was about 1-year old and clean.

I’m considering the 2nd pump for vacations when out of town for over 3-days and no tank sitters. I’ll do this eventually, as my acro collection grows.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s talking about me, however my friend had a reef tank years ago and his MagDrive died while he was on vacation. The pump was about 1-year old and clean.

I’m considering the 2nd pump for vacations when out of town for over 3-days and no tank sitters. I’ll do this eventually, as my acro collection grows.
Thanks
I would definitely do it if I were you, im only worried about the "looks" of it over a eurobrace but why not have a second pump, if even for more flow or one dies it seems like a good idea to me. im sure your overflow will handle it, most people use a gate valve to slow the flow to siphon anyway.

OP
OP
ryshark

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks
I would definitely do it if I were you, im only worried about the "looks" of it over a eurobrace but why not have a second pump, if even for more flow or one dies it seems like a good idea to me. im sure your overflow will handle it, most people use a gate valve to slow the flow to siphon anyway.
I have a canopy so wouldn’t even see it, plus I’d probably only run it when out of town. Plus like you said, I could just open the gate valve all the way. I won’t care about the noise if I’m not home. And there is also the emergency drain pipe.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canopy so wouldn’t even see it, plus I’d probably only run it when out of town. Plus like you said, I could just open the gate valve all the way. I won’t care about the noise if I’m not home. And there is also the emergency drain pipe.
Have heard of more disasters with ppl saying I changed this before vacation to be safe…. Run the tank as normal, a normal that is consistent and predicable.
You should only have a valve on a drain if it’s a full siphon. If it is a full siphon and you open it all the way it won’t only be noisy, it will fluctuate the water level.
Set up a camera that you can view remotely if you’re worried

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To have Two 12 volt Pumps that go over the side. They come on during a power failure. I was worried about them falling out and draining the sump. I took a Computer Cable hold down. Put some extra Contact Cement on it and glued it to the back of the aquarium. Put a loop of Velcro through it, and secured the tube. It holds the tube in place, but is removable for cleaning.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back