Return Placement

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide how I should place the return on my 120 gallon 5 ft tank. I want to place my external overflow off to one side instead of the center so that I have better access to it. I plan to use loc line inside the aquarium for the returns. The plan is to put a y on the return to have two pipes directing the flow. I was thinking of adding two returns but am wondering if maybe I should just add one directing the flow in one direction. Below are the options I was considering. Any advise would be appreciated.
Return Placement.jpg

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me I'd place the overflow in the center and a pair of returns on either side.
That would be ideal but the tank back is going to be up against a wall. There will be a few inches in between but still accessing the overflow in the center of a 5 ft tank would be a challenge. That is why I want to have the overflow off to one side.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be ideal but the tank back is going to be up against a wall. There will be a few inches in between but still accessing the overflow in the center of a 5 ft tank would be a challenge. That is why I want to have the overflow off to one side.
Are there any walls along the sides of the tank or just at the back?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
If this were me I'd place the overflow in the center and a pair of returns on either side.

I faced the same issue on my 7ft build, if you place an overflow in the middle there is no way you'll be able to reach it to tighten or adjust anything.

I too was forced to place overflow boxes on the ends - still not easy to reach anything.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Option B is better,

I've seen in on some tanks where if you use option A, the return closer to the overflow will push the surface film away from the overflow box and prevent proper skimming of the water surface.

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always set it up peninsula style with the overflow and returns on one side and make a feature out of it with matching plumbing, etc.
I love the peninsula style but unfortunately I don't know if it would be appropriate for this location. It would expose the plumbing and remove a viewing side while still leaving the back as a non-viewing side.

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B is better,

I've seen in on some tanks where if you use option A, the return closer to the overflow will push the surface film away from the overflow box and prevent proper skimming of the water surface.
I hadn't thought about the surface skimming. That is a very good point.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to aim a return away from your overflow, it’s gonna likely lead to pooling of waste between the returns that doesn’t make it easily to the overflow.

If you can’t center mount your overflow then option B - sometimes the old ways are best

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked the idea of having two returns for redundancy but it looks like option B is what I need to go with.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want 2 returns, what about option a but the other return in the middle of the tank. The left shooting more to the middle and the centered one shooting toward the return.

OP
OP
S

skyeshoppe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want 2 returns, what about option a but the other return in the middle of the tank. The left shooting more to the middle and the centered one shooting toward the return.
I want to avoid having anything in the middle of the tank that I can't tighten or adjust. I probably will go with one return on the opposite side of the overflow.

I could possible do two returns both on the same side. The only reason for this would be to add a second pump in the future for redundancy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back