return pump plumbing

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am trying to plan the plumbing for my 65 gal tank. the return pump that i have is the jabao dcp 5000. for the tank drain, i will be using 1 1/4 inch pipe, but for the return, i would like to split that return from 1 to 2 so that i can have my returns be one on each end with the overflow being in the middle of the two. i am hoping that someone has any suggestions on tubing/pvc diameter. i feel that if i have 1 1/4 from the return pump, and then spit it into 2 seperate 1 1/4, there isnt going to be enough backpressure to properly move water.

would it be best to have it maybe be a smaller diameter, such as a 1" all the way up, or 1" to the split, and then run 3/4 to the ends? or, would it even matter? i dont want to run the pump at 100% just to move water, and want to make the pump as efficient as possible, but at the same time, dont want to strangle it.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m using 1” all the way until the returns hit the tank, then it’s down to 3/4”. I used a ball valve on the return that’s closest to the pump so I can dial it down to match the other end. I’m only running my pump at 50% and it’s more than enough to get my RFG’s working properly. It’s probably easier going from 1” to 3/4”, instead of 1 1/4”. Just use unions wherever you can in case you ever need to change something.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by "there isnt going to be enough backpressure to properly move water"

I would plumb it with 1 1/4" to a tee then come out of the tee with 1" to each side. If you want it to be balanced you would have to add a valve on the side with the least restriction to force to the other side.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back