Return Pump Plumbing

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, follow up question, what type of flex did you use?

I’ve used black vinyl multiple times without issue. It does take a set but I use that to my advantage. In my current setup, the two inline valves allow me to reverse the curve

That's good advice, hadn't thought about critters getting into the pipes

Most people don’t. But critters in the pipes are the main reason check valves don’t work properly IMO.

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used black vinyl multiple times without issue. It does take a set but I use that to my advantage. In my current setup, the two inline valves allow me to reverse the curve

Most people don’t. But critters in the pipes are the main reason check valves don’t work properly IMO.
Sounds like vinyl is good for me as a beginner, but can you please explain "take a set" and "reverse the curve". My simplistic approach was come off the single pump, add a barbed Y so that I had a return at each end of the tank. I was thinking without check valves I will need to ensure those returns are about the same level as the overflow box to ensure the sump could handle the reverse flow if there was a pump outage. Too simple maybe? Thanks again for your time and advice, much appreciated!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spa-flex and other Flexible PVC has a memory and especially in short lengths, is not as soft or flexible as you would expect. It takes on a bit of a natural curve you have to work with. It can and will change shape over a long period of time and can stress joints if you do not design to allow for movement.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like vinyl is good for me as a beginner, but can you please explain "take a set" and "reverse the curve". My simplistic approach was come off the single pump, add a barbed Y so that I had a return at each end of the tank. I was thinking without check valves I will need to ensure those returns are about the same level as the overflow box to ensure the sump could handle the reverse flow if there was a pump outage. Too simple maybe? Thanks again for your time and advice, much appreciated!
Like BeanAnimal stated, the vinyl likes to curve one way and not the other so doing an “s” shape is tough as the tubing goes along with the bend in one direction but fights the bend in the other direction.

Making sure the sump can handle all back flow and then some is the only true safe method to avoid a spill when the pump turns off. If you have enough extra space for what drains plus a little extra, physics dictates it can’t overflow. I trust physics way more than some mechanical device, physics doesn’t break.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u decide to go hybrid, I'd recommend spending extra $ and use silicone tube instead of vinyl to connect pump to pvc pipe for noise reduction. ALso, use gate valve instead of ball valve for better control and less leak.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u decide to go hybrid, I'd recommend spending extra $ and use silicone tube instead of vinyl to connect pump to pvc pipe for noise reduction. ALso, use gate valve instead of ball valve for better control and less leak.

I am seeing this a lot. Silicone tube for an internal pump may not be a bad idea - but I am not sure that I would trust it for an external connection, it has nowhere near the service life of schedule 40 or 80 flexible vinyl (PVC) and when/if it does fail it will fail catastrophically.

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks SuperFly, definitely using a gate valve. Not too sure on the silicone as I use that on my brew system and have seen issues handling pressure. Of course the temps are much higher LOL

OP
OP
D

DaBrewzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am seeing this a lot. Silicone tube for an internal pump may not be a bad idea - but I am not sure that I would trust it for an external connection, it has nowhere near the service life of schedule 40 or 80 flexible vinyl (PVC) and when/if it does fail it will fail catastrophically.
I like the look of the black vinyl, but is it as strong as the braided vinyl? I am more familiar with the braided so would appreciate your opinion.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the look of the black vinyl, but is it as strong as the braided vinyl? I am more familiar with the braided so would appreciate your opinion.
It is not as strong, but i am not sure that it needs to be.

The braided product does not kink as easily but is a bit less flexible.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back