Return pump run 24/7 ?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my first tank and started the cycle process. I’m leaving the skimmer turned off as I don’t have any livestock. Should my return pump run 24/7 or should I turn it off from time to time to avoid burning it up?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your return pump certainly shouldn't be at risk of burning up at any time; they're designed for constant use. Do you have it in a sump or is it in an AIO tank?

I've turned off one of my return pumps on my RSM250 just because it adds excessive heat to the tank. That's about the only reason of which I can think to not use a return pump constantly if you have one.

OP
OP
Supa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your return pump certainly shouldn't be at risk of burning up at any time; they're designed for constant use. Do you have it in a sump or is it in an AIO tank?

I've turned off one of my return pumps on my RSM250 just because it adds excessive heat to the tank. That's about the only reason of which I can think to not use a return pump constantly if you have one.
I have a Red Sea reefer 250v3 it has a sump, and DT is 54gallon. The return pump I’m using is vario s-2.

TCoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always ran mine 24x7. Currently, I use Kasa powerstrips and when I feed, all powerheads and wavemakers are turn on and my skimmer and main pump are turned off. ~1hr later, the main pump and skimmer are turned back on. I only do this to prevent skimmer overflow and give the food time to move around the tank and feed all the animals w/o being sent to the sump.

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually pumps and most electronic devises fail and burn up from the frequent on/off. Leaving it on 24-7 is how they are designed to run and it’s better For your tank. Kinda like a lightbulb. The ones you are always turning on and off tend to fail MUCH faster than the ones left on all day.

OP
OP
Supa

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually pumps and most electronic devises fail and burn up from the frequent on/off. Leaving it on 24-7 is how they are designed to run and it’s better For your tank. Kinda like a lightbulb. The ones you are always turning on and off tend to fail MUCH faster than the ones left on all day.
Thanks, will keep mine running…. I just got the sump and tank levels at the right spots i assume as it’s quite and not sucking air and making gurgling noises. Was curious what will happen if/when I turn off the return pump will I need to re-turn the valve etc.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, will keep mine running…. I just got the sump and tank levels at the right spots i assume as it’s quite and not sucking air and making gurgling noises. Was curious what will happen if/when I turn off the return pump will I need to re-turn the valve etc.
Probably not much at all if water levels in the sump are kept at a safe level. I'm not currently running the return on my Reefer 350 because the return chamber has a leak (corroded o-ring on the main return; waiting for a replacement in the mail). The Reefers' plumbing is actually very simple. Overdesigned (and not in a smart way), in my opinion, but very simple.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first light bulb made when they were invented is still burning today, because they never turn it off. Incandescent bulbs usually burn out when first turned on. The sudden heat to a cold filament.

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump should be big anouph to hold the excess run off of your tank. I only turn mine off for feeding ,cleaning screens,and filter. Turn off your pump and see how high it gets in your sump.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first light bulb made when they were invented is still burning today, because they never turn it off. Incandescent bulbs usually burn out when first turned on. The sudden heat to a cold filament.
It is the sudden current through a cold filament that does them in. The resistance increases in tungsten at the temp rises. If you were to ramp the voltage up when powering it up it would last a lot longer than instantly applying the voltage to a cold filament.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps on all of my tanks run 24/7. Had one return pump run for 9 years, no issues (Danner Mag 9 I think) sold it because I had a tank tear down. Had a Varios 6 burn out in 10 months. Literally hours before a flight out. Make sure to clean pumps bi annual or at least annual.

My pumps are on off usually at least once a day for feeding.

BASEDVXO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just make sure to keep on an eye on the water level if you don’t have an auto top off in the sump chamber where you keep your return pump .

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always ran mine 24x7. Currently, I use Kasa powerstrips and when I feed, all powerheads and wavemakers are turn on and my skimmer and main pump are turned off. ~1hr later, the main pump and skimmer are turned back on. I only do this to prevent skimmer overflow and give the food time to move around the tank and feed all the animals w/o being sent to the sump.
I love the kasa 6 outlet powerstrips they are great timers and surge protection. They even have a power consumption monitor and you can view the wattage being used theres allot of tech to them! Go kasa!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps on all of my tanks run 24/7. Had one return pump run for 9 years, no issues (Danner Mag 9 I think) sold it because I had a tank tear down. Had a Varios 6 burn out in 10 months. Literally hours before a flight out. Make sure to clean pumps bi annual or at least annual.

My pumps are on off usually at least once a day for feeding.
I used to turn off my return pump when I feed the tank twice a day. Besides being a PITA, I think they will last longer with less on/off cycles. I presoak my food so most of it will not end up in the filter, I do get some but is okay, I can use the extra nutrients of food breaking down.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a photo I cannot see it.

Eheim Feeding Station, is this what you are referring to?​

Yes. Not sure why the photo is not showing. I was posting a link from Amazon. I did use a Eheim feeder also but have since changed it for a Hydros feeder. They look almost the same. It would not surprise me if they were made by the same manufacturer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back