Return pump splashing

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty new to this hobby and just got a water box peninsula 25 gallon tank. My pump as you can see in the video, has produced a lot of bubbles at the top making for splashing and getting the back mirror and the sides of the tank fairly wet. Is this too high of a setting or is this normal? I can maneuver the flow downward which seems to fix the splashing but I have heard that there is supposed to be some water movement on top so I don’t know if that is the right move. Also the second video shows my clown at the bottom of the tank, it looks like he is breathing heavy almost gasping for air. Does my tank have to little air going through it or it normal for clowns to do that? Thank you for the help

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pump is on just enough to get the water into the tank, I rely on my gyres for water movement inside the tank.

I see very little rock in the tank. Should be close to a pound per gallon, the rock is the biofilter of the tank.

Is the tank cycled? when did you fill it with water?

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pump is on just enough to get the water into the tank, I rely on my gyres for water movement inside the tank.

I see very little rock in the tank. Should be close to a pound per gallon, the rock is the biofilter of the tank.

Is the tank cycled? when did you fill it with water?
Okay so you think I should get a gyre pump instead of relying on my main pump for water flow?

It has been almost 4 weeks, water went in on May 15

And yeah I only have about 6 pounds of live rock so far, you think I should get a lot more to match the amount of gallons? I was just trying to start out small to make sure I do things correct

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any wavemaker type of pump (not neccessarily a gyre) can help produce flow and get rid of dead spot better than just the return.

I would definately get more rock. More rock = stronger biofilter = more and healthier fish. Also adds to aesthetics, as well as give places for fishes and inverts to hide and feel safe. Also, rock is the home to tiny little micro fauna, such as copepods for example, rocks gives them more places to hide and multiply. More rock is good in every way.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid breathing in this case is unrelated to the water movement. It may be a sign of illness. Close up video and photos using white light will help the diagnosis.

How long have you had this fish and are others in the tank with it?

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any wavemaker type of pump (not neccessarily a gyre) can help produce flow and get rid of dead spot better than just the return.

I would definately get more rock. More rock = stronger biofilter = more and healthier fish. Also adds to aesthetics, as well as give places for fishes and inverts to hide and feel safe. Also, rock is the home to tiny little micro fauna, such as copepods for example, rocks gives them more places to hide and multiply. More rock is good in every way.
Okay awesome this makes sense I will get to work on this right away. Thank you for the input!

OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid breathing in this case is unrelated to the water movement. It may be a sign of illness. Close up video and photos using white light will help the diagnosis.

How long have you had this fish and are others in the tank with it?
I tried adding a video in the original post it looks like it didn’t work. I will try attaching it here as well

Attachments

• IMG_6532.mov
    20.5 MB
OP
OP
A

Alexjones.aj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried adding a video in the original post it looks like it didn’t work. I will try attaching it here as well

Not sure why videos are not working on here, is there something I need to do to make it work? So far the other fish I have which is a royal grama is not doing it only the clown fish is. Do you know what type of illness it could be? Can I help him?

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long ago did the fast breathing start - respiration rate that fast is usually an indicator for velvet, which would need to be treated with copper in a qt tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 37 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back