Return Pumps: How long has yours been running? Which has been BEST for you?

How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

• Days

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Several Weeks

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Several Months

Votes: 65 9.4%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 88 12.8%
  • 1 Year or more

Votes: 142 20.6%
  • 2 Years or more

Votes: 111 16.1%
  • 3+ Years

Votes: 254 36.8%

• Total voters

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my Vectra L1 just died yesterday after 6 years without one issue, regular cleaning and calibrations. Luckily I had a L2 on backup so the swap only took 30minutes.

jeffp1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using a Catalina Aquariums 2200 for over 10 years. Have a backup that I swap every 6 months, clean and put in box until needed. I bought the backup about 3 years ago.

Rob Mathews

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump for an old post. My reeflo dart has been running 14 years (Throttled back) at 5ft of head with no issues.

L.R.

Attachments

• 17031708031004200770121936200894.jpg
    17031708031004200770121936200894.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 16

reefnfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflo Hammerhead. Old school, they keep going and going. I have to change the seal about every year and a half.

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I returned to old school as well, running iwakis on my current tank. My last tank had 2 vectra returns and 2 closed loop vectras. I cleaned them every 6 months and 2 spares were barely enough to keep the tank running as designed. They felt like rebranded Chinese crap, a shame because they were really quiet pumps

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sicce SDC are the best I’ve ever used. My old 6.0 was in use for a couple years before I sent it to my buddy who used it for another year before breaking his tank down. He still has it for his next tank. Not a single issue.

I have 2 of the 7.0 now and one has been running almost 2 years and never been cleaned. The other went 16 or so months without cleaning before something clogged up the propeller so I had to pull it and clean it thoroughly

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reposted post...
First of all the number one rule for me is;
NO internal pump ever, heat, plastic DC NO WAY. The life on these plastic pumps is so, so, stinkin short. I control all my water flow with ONE T-handle, not my phone why I ask, just why..? if it's set it's set. My Apex takes care of all feeding cheap auto feeders! My Apex shows with it's perfectly set power calculations - $68.41 per month in electricity and it's loaded, Main pump (Iwaki 100r), halide, T-5's, doser's, sump light, canisters, ect... ect.. ect... Ever had a pump go down and be at the mercy of your next pay check..? Everyone can tell you about all the pumps they have both used and tried. Not me period. It is nothing to plump a pump in, I have never had one leak or drip ever!. With that being said, there is ONLY one pump I would ever both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** Over 25 years ago, more like 27++ years and I do mean just that! For my car lot, I leave them every night and go home. It has pumped right at 2160 gallons an hour, 36 plus gallons per min at a head height of 39ft at 25psi. I run 265 gallons plus total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts, it is a 100 gallon plastic horse trough with my sump in it, I keep that down in my basement lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 8 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS - Bulk Reef Supply ( I did shop very extensively both new and USED at 1st ) new for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD EVER ..! It lasted right at 27 plus years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 27 years.

That breaks down like this..
This is figured this at ONLY 25 years... 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours a week x 52 weeks = 8736 hours in a year, 8736 hours x 25 years = 218,400 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... Plus two more years beyond that**** I opened my car lot in January of 1996 I BOUGHT THIS PUMP BRAND NEW! Now someone out there tell me, is there a better pump out there..? I have never changed any part on this pump ever, not an even the impeller. Nor ever cleaned it..! No other pump will last this long ever! This is all true to life.. They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct in the USA no changes where ever on them. And I did get the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** the Japanese pump only. No other pump will ever last that long ever...**NONE...

I also after a little homework only after the replacement came in, (I ordered on pay day.. lol) I did find out, after a lot more research. I can replace $8.90 in bearings to rebuild my OLD Japanese Iwaki 100r pump, and anyone can do it them selves!!! A easy peasy fix!. Nothing on these pumps EVER where's out!! Again other than the bearings it's a extremely easy. "" Everyone has an opinion only because that's what THEY bought!"" With this being said again can anyone tell me there is a better pump out there, really???? I am waiting so, so, patiently.. lol. Some 40+ years with salty fingers here and still going hard... Happy Reefing, And A Merry Christmas To All... :):)

Last edited:

spacedcowboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Reeflo darts (the "gold" variety) plumbed into my tank, with ball-valve plumbing to switch between them - only one is ever running at a time. The original idea was that if one of them broke, I could just switch over to the other and replace the broken return pump at leisure rather than dashing around like a madman.

The Reeflo pumps have stubbornly spurned any opportunity to play ball with that idea and resolutely refused to break down, so instead I switch over to the other one every 6 months or so, just to make sure they're still going ok.

<mumble, grumble> darn working pumps <grumble>

andyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say eheims are great pumps an last forever. however my return pump is a royal exclusiv 230w running for 10+ years. The pumps been cleaned twice and has been fairly reliable. The controller on the other hand failed 6 months ago due to failing capacitors. Fortunately the fix was cheap but you have to desolder all the power capacitors and replace them (the symtom was the pump would not spin if you unplugged the power for cleaning then powered it back up.) So other then that, the physical pump works great and doesn't get hot and last a long time.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running with dual Reef Octopus VarioS 8 pumps for about 18 months, controlled by the Apex.

One is running the tank, the other runs UV and utility outlets.

It was important to me to have the same pump so it could be swapped if needed.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only run 2 return pumps in my 20 years of reefing with a sump. The first was a used Magdrive 9.5. I upgraded about 9 yrs ago and moved my sump to the basement and bought a jabao DC- 6. I continued to use the Magdrive for water changes for a number of years before it finally died. The Jabao is still going strong. I do not know if this makes a difference but I ran both pumps submersible which kept them cool.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Eheim pump and it’s been running for 5 years. Never had a problem.
And I had another smaller pump from Eheim for another 3 years with no issue.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Danner 12, for over seven years. Replaced the Impeller once. I was actually very lax about cleaning it. Decided to replace it with a Simplicity 1600 after a 9.5 went to ground, and comparing energy usage and the heat output. I previously replaced the 9.5 with a Simplicity 1000.

moonwaxx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my 900 gallon system and my 400 gallon grow out run Abyzz . 400 on the main and the 200 on my grow out tanks.. They are bulletproof. going on 5-6 years on the big boy on the 900 gallon system.

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps keep the water flowing from crucial areas and through crucial pieces of equipment all the while helping provide oxygen exchange and even flow! So safe to say they are pretty important to the life of our saltwater reef aquariums. So important that many people keep a spare just in case theirs quits working. With that in mind I would like to ask you a couple questions regarding your return pumps today! Let's GO!

1. How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used?

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue!

Untitled-5 copy.jpg
I own 6 COR-20, the oldest maybe 6yrs old. I needed to order the orange front piece, volute? For one, I guess it warped a little, maybe aggressive soak in cleaner. No other complaints except the power bricks could be a little more robust. One of my tanks is on a circuit that drops to 110-109 v and I’m sure a power supply has to work harder a that voltage.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back