Return Pumps: How long has yours been running? Which has been BEST for you?

How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

• Days

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Several Weeks

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Several Months

Votes: 65 9.4%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 88 12.8%
  • 1 Year or more

Votes: 142 20.6%
  • 2 Years or more

Votes: 111 16.1%
  • 3+ Years

Votes: 254 36.8%

• Total voters

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some of the earliest Varios pumps and I had a miserable time with them, they never broke they just would shut off for mysterious reasons. Surprisingly I had two Jebao DC pumps run 4 years + without cleaning or stopping, they were suppose to be temporary pumps while I waited for the brand I wanted to come back to market... it never did and the pumps never got replaced.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all the number one rule for me is; NO internal pump ever, heat, plastic DC NO WAY. The life is so, so short. Ever had a pump go down and be at the mercy of your next pay check..? Not for me period. It is nothing to plump a pump in, I have never had one leak or drip ever!. With that being said, there is ONLY one pump I would ever both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** 25 years ago it has pumped right at 2160 gallons an hour, 36 plus gallons per min at a head height of 39ft at 25psi. I run 265 gallons plus total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts, it is a 100 gallon plastic horse trough with my sump in it, I keep that down in my basement lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 4 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS ( I shopped very extensively both new and USED 1st ) for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD EVER ..! It lasted right at 25 years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 25 years. That breaks down like this.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours a week x 52 weeks = 8736 hours in a year, 8736 hours x 25 years = 218,400 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... Now someone out there tell me, is there a better pump out there..? I have never changed any part on this pump ever, not an even the impeller. Nor ever cleaned it..! No other pump will last this long ever. They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct no changes ever on them. And I did get the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese only. No other pump will ever last that long ever... NONE... I also after a little homework, I can replace $5.90 in bearings to rebuild my OLD Japanese Iwaki 100r pump. Again anyone tell me... Some 40+ years with salty fingers here...

somethingfishyny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a cor20 for years until I built a new fish room in the basement and needed more head pressure and I bought the royal exclusive speedy dragon 230w. This this has been a workhorse!! I Stull use my cor20 to run my algae scrubbers though

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current Orbit DC return bottom of sump where it can get challenging. 3 years. Sicce 1000 in the skimmer 5 years.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

On my Main tank, running Reeflo Hammerhead Gold going on two years. I do have a new Backup unit

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used?

Danner supreme. Used on three different tanks over 4 years without a single issue

Discovery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Panworld 200 on my 250 running 24/7 for 7 years and never cleaned it (save vacuuming dust from the fan screen). I recently started getting micro bubbles in the tank and carefully reviewed every bit of plumbing. No air leaks anywhere. Shut it down several times to ensure no air in the lines. Since I added some additional equipment to my manifold, I purchase an Iwaki 100 which pushes a bit more water. Same fit into my set-up. A bit more noise, but micro bubbles are gone. Guess the Panworld started cavitating. Nevertheless, still using the swapped out Panworld in my mixing station pumping strong up a floor.

Urkin$Urchin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Jebao dc pumps, both have been running over 4 years and have never been touched, still going strong

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2-3 weeks ago my 4 year old vectra M1 quit working. Called Ecotech and they replaced it free of charge with the M2.

CakeOrCrayons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 for 2+ years

Neptune COR20- the is awesome!

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue
Once every 2-3 months I disconnect the pump and let it circulate it in a bucket of vinegar for a few mins

Operation Philo Beddoe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps keep the water flowing from crucial areas and through crucial pieces of equipment all the while helping provide oxygen exchange and even flow! So safe to say they are pretty important to the life of our saltwater reef aquariums. So important that many people keep a spare just in case theirs quits working. With that in mind I would like to ask you a couple questions regarding your return pumps today! Let's GO!

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue!

Untitled-5 copy.jpg
I own 5 COR-20 pumps. 1. Never plug into EB832 because it’ll die and stop your pump. 2. COR-20 power bricks, early one failed on me. Neptune support was very good.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all the number one rule for me is; NO internal pump ever, heat, plastic DC NO WAY. The life is so, so short. Ever had a pump go down and be at the mercy of your next pay check..? Not for me period. It is nothing to plump a pump in, I have never had one leak or drip ever!. With that being said, there is ONLY one pump I would ever both buy and use. I bought a **Japanese Iwaki 100r** 25 years ago it has pumped right at 2160 gallons an hour, 36 plus gallons per min at a head height of 39ft at 25psi. I run 265 gallons plus total on my system. 2 tanks a 90 and a 110 and a 100 gallon sump of sorts, it is a 100 gallon plastic horse trough with my sump in it, I keep that down in my basement lol. Heavy duty pumps these are and with a huge head height. It went bad on me right at 4 months ago now. I bought another one from BRS ( I shopped very extensively both new and USED 1st ) for $478 dollars free freight. I would use NO OTHER PUMP PERIOD EVER ..! It lasted right at 25 years! 365 days a year, 24-7, for 25 years. That breaks down like this.. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week = 168 hours a week, 168 hours a week x 52 weeks = 8736 hours in a year, 8736 hours x 25 years = 218,400 TOTAL HOURS THIS PUMP HAS RUN NON - STOP... Now someone out there tell me, is there a better pump out there..? I have never changed any part on this pump ever, not an even the impeller. Nor ever cleaned it..! No other pump will last this long ever. They have never changed anything on these pumps at all. I did talk to the factory direct no changes ever on them. And I did get the dark gray replacement pump just like "I" had before, again bought the new one from BRS aquarium ** Japanese only. No other pump will ever last that long ever... NONE... I also after a little homework, I can replace $5.90 in bearings to rebuild my OLD Japanese Iwaki 100r pump. Has anyone had any pump last that long with straight running like this one...? Everyone likes what they bought, but if you are going to buy a new pump buy one of these... Not something that lasts 4 years, why..? They all aren't cheap, but these pumps are the best buy out there period!. Some 40+ years with salty fingers here...

Low Tech Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to keep things as simple as possible. I have two reef tanks and run the same size RIO return pumps in them. I usually get 3 to 5 years out of them before I replace them. This way if there's an unexpected failure (usually in the middle of the night for some reason...) I have one new one in the box for a replacement, strip down the bad pump of parts and keep them in my spare parts stash. I usually take one out of service for cleaning about every 8 months.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Answered in poll. (1 year +)

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used? Best has to be Reef Octopus Varios pump.

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue! If by "regular", you mean on a schedule, then no. But if you mean regular as in whenever I think it needs it, then yes ;). When I have to turn it up to keep the same flow, it's time to clean it!
Yep using the same. Just cleaned it during a recent teardown and restart. They are the best Ive had so far which includes many others.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwasaki and Ehiem. Sicce is well regarded but relatively new on the scene and I’ve had impeller seizing issues.

gerards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim 1260 it’s been on four different tanks over the last ten years. It gets cleaned maybe every two years or so and still going strong!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 18.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back