Return Pumps: How long has yours been running? Which has been BEST for you?

How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

• Days

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Several Weeks

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Several Months

Votes: 65 9.4%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 88 12.8%
  • 1 Year or more

Votes: 142 20.6%
  • 2 Years or more

Votes: 111 16.1%
  • 3+ Years

Votes: 254 36.8%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Return pumps keep the water flowing from crucial areas and through crucial pieces of equipment all the while helping provide oxygen exchange and even flow! So safe to say they are pretty important to the life of our saltwater reef aquariums. So important that many people keep a spare just in case theirs quits working. With that in mind I would like to ask you a couple questions regarding your return pumps today! Let's GO!

1. How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used?

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue!

Untitled-5 copy.jpg

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a generic pump from ebay. I've had it and a sister pump for more than 6 years. I take one out put the other in and clean the first and store it for the next cleaning. and I have a back up in case both fail. they cost me around 20 dollars each so i got three. flow has been fine never had one fail as of yet.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Sicce for 3 years no issues, now I have a Neptune COR20 working flawlessly and completely quiet.

EDIT: I clean all my pumps at least once a year with vinegar.

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the standard Fluval 13.5 pump since I started the tank over seven months ago. It seems to be running alright, hasn't broken yet. It provides decent flow, though if it broke I'd probably upgrade to a better model.

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
1. Answered in poll. (1 year +)

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used? Best has to be Reef Octopus Varios pump.

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue!
If by "regular", you mean on a schedule, then no. But if you mean regular as in whenever I think it needs it, then yes ;). When I have to turn it up to keep the same flow, it's time to clean it!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have a varios 8. Running two years I think without issue. Prior to that had a vectora L1 that literally melted inside (and was just out of warranty).

I must have a silent return since my tank is a peninsula dividing living and dining room.

I have an Iwaki 55rlt Japanese motor that powers my 100g mixing tank. It’s been running for 30min every 2 hours for 7 years and I haven’t touched it once.

if I can ever have a noisy return it will be an Iwaki.

I clean return once a year. I must admit that the melted L1 had gone about 2 years with no cleaning. I suspect some calcium buildup caused friction and heat thus the melting. Still disappointed.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eheim pump been running since early 2017. I bought it used off of r2r so not sure how old it is. I clean it maybe once a year. It runs perfectly.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

I have been in the hobby long enough to have had my first pump (an Iwaki) last 20 years. I now run an assortment of PanWorld pumps that vary in age from 10 years to 3 years.

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used?

If you intended to equate best with longevity, then Iwaki hands down. I have also been running a Vectra M1 for over five years on a closed loop and been quite pleased with it's ability to automatically ramp up and down. My PanWorld/Blueline pumps show all signs of being of equal durability to Iwaki.

I am quite remiss about doing maintenance .... usually when a pump starts to show flow loss or makes a funny noise.

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sicce silent running over a year on one system, no problems
Hydor Seltz AC vario2400 on main system over a year no problems running on middle setting no back-pressure inducing throttling valve needed

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps... Great subject :D

Back in the day, I always bought external pumps. What with halide lighting and the submersible pumps of the day producing a great deal of heat, everything you could do to keep from warming the tank was a good thing. Iwaki pumps were my go-to choice. Very reliable, reasonably inexpensive, not terribly loud.

Submersible pumps of the day were noisy and hot. I bought a Danner Mag-Drive 18 to run an external skimmer. That was what.... 1994? Still use that pump today to push water up the slide for the kids in the pool. Loud, hot... doesn't really matter much for this purpose :D

Back when I re-entered the reefing hobby, what, 2014 or so? I picked up a Jebao return pump and a couple Jebao wave pumps. None of the three lasted the year.

Today, I'm running a Current USA EFlux 1900 pump. Ok, not top quality, but it's virtually silent, it's been running for 3 years without issue, and it was reasonably priced.

If and when it starts giving me trouble, I'm apt to re-plumb my returns, separate them, and use a pair of reasonably inexpensive pumps in the 900 gallon per hour range.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
mag drives and panworld's ,some mags dated back to 90's ,tried and true.. :)
cannot forget the sendra skimmer pumps..;)

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My return pump has been running for almost 3 1/2 years. It's the best I've ever owned. A Reef Octopus Vario S-6. I don't have a schedule for cleaning. It needs it now.

Tmrvstyle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running Rio pumps that I've been running over 2 years, however I don't know how long I've ran them, used of and on for years, have an aquarium pump tote full in the shed I pared down to running well pumps with spare parts and easily accessible spare parts.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back