Return Pumps: How long has yours been running? Which has been BEST for you?

How long has your current return pump been running without issue?

• Days

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Several Weeks

Votes: 22 3.2%
  • Several Months

Votes: 65 9.4%
  • Over 6 months

Votes: 88 12.8%
  • 1 Year or more

Votes: 142 20.6%
  • 2 Years or more

Votes: 111 16.1%
  • 3+ Years

Votes: 254 36.8%

• Total voters

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. How long has your current return pump been running without issue?
About 6 months since it's been cleaned/swapped out.

2. What has been the best return pump (brand) you have ever used?

Hydor Seltz D 2400 GPH controllable submersible pump. Definitely not the top of the line, but it's quiet, and seems consistent. I have 2 and just swap them out when it's time to clean the current pump. When the old pump is clean and dry, it goes back in the box for next time. I've been doing this for +- 3 years, so I'm sure I have over 1 year on each pump. This allows me to have a reserve pump for when one dies.

3. Do you have a regular maintenance schedule for your return pump? This will play into how long they run without issue!

I like to think I do, but it really comes down to when I have time and the inclination to swap them out. I try for every 6 months. I usually don't miss the 6 month mark by too much.

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwaki MD30-RXT w/ Japanese motor (external pump) running for 3+ years. Before I upgraded from 75 gal to 90 gal I ran a smaller MD20-XRT also w/ Japanese motor. I haven't cleaned it, but when I do have a reason to drain my sump I'll take it out and give a thorough scrubbing. I keep a new in box spare handy for backup. The MD30 is a little louder and warmer. The noise is low, white background noise to me anymore. The heat is not insignificant, hot to the touch, but offset by being external which was the reason I went with an external pump to begin with.

A few tanks ago I ran Rio submersible pumps. I remember that they lasted about 2 years before they needed replacing.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflo Barracuda- this year, 12th year
Thing's a major-league beast

20210413_005118.jpg

I believe Its lasted so long bc I have a pvc screen on the very end of the intake thst blocks shells and small rocks/debris from entering the pump.

20210413_010138.jpg

Last edited:

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25+ years nonstop. Iwaki (Fasco 7162) external AC pushing a 125 gallon tank plus in line sump, heater, chiller, and UV sterilizer. Never cleaned it or gave it one iota of thought the entire time. I've got no idea how much power it consumes and I don't care - I'm solar powered.

Last edited:

richarddeweerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aqua Medic 5.2 DC pump. It is running without an issue since I got it in June last year. The only issue I have with it is that after a power outage it does not remember that it is controlled by my 0-10V output on the Apex. When the power comes back it goes straight into a pre set value and I have to press a button to go into the 0-10V mode again. Luckily power outages are rare here in The Netherlands

Kaiser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a rio running in my 36 gallon for since August of 2017, the first time I cleaned it was 2 weeks ago. Honestly I wanted to clean it but I was both too lazy and wanted to see how long it would last without a clean. Truth be told, I could have gotten away without cleaning it too because I found a chunk of chaeto in my pipes which is why my flow had slowed. I don't treat my tanks like this normally but I hadn't seen any problems so I figured why not lol. Speaking of which, I guess I should clean my Varios-8 soon.....

ss30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao 3500ltr been running for almost 2 years cleaned it once and it's silent.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iwaki 70 RLT here running a 120gal DT, basement sump. Been running straight since 2016, I got this pump because if it’s longevity and al the reviews I was able to find. These pumps (Japanese models not American) are solid. I’ve yet to clean mine but probably should, however I am a bit intimidated as I don’t have a suitable backup. I do have a Sicce 2.0 I use in my salt mix tank that was used as my return on my old 40 breeder. That is also a really good pump. Return pumps I don’t like at all are Rio. They were never reliable and would regularly needed to be fiddled with. Iwaki for the win, ( I should have a back up huh?)

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a VarioS8 - running for almost 3 years now. No regular cleaning schedule, but it happens to be on the schedule for cleaning this weekend.

Young@Heart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a VarioS8 - been running for almost 3 years. No regular cleaning schedule, but it happens to be on the cleaning schedule for the week end.

iemsparticus

The Addiction is Real
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just installed a Varios on my current tank a few weeks ago. I used to have a Vectra M1 on it, which was on there for 4 or so years... and IMO the Varios is absolutely quieter. I've been a big fan so far...however, its early days.

Fish man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Jebao DCT 15000 variable speed dc pump. Had it for 5 years. Clean it about every 6 months. Before that I had a Jebao DC6000 that only lasted about a year. I was hesitant to try another one but they supposedly had an improved motor so I took a chance mostly because they're so inexpensive. Haven't regretted it. Moves a ton of water.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim, I bought it used 7 years ago so no idea on the true age but it keeps going strong and I pretty much never clean it and flow is strong! It has never needed a part.

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running two RE Red Dragon return pumps for a year and a half now and have not had the opportunity (time) to maintain them yet.

They are still totally silent and I have not noticed any reduction of flow whatsoever; haven't had to adjust my output from the overflow box (Bean animal system) at all.

I'm hoping to make the time to take one of them offline (they both run at 50% so I can just turn the other one up to 100% while I'm doing this) and I've very curious to see what I find inside. As they've been running the same since day one I expect that I won't find much build up that could impact performance...

Back