Return pumps

Justin Williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at setting up my first reef tank it will be a 40 gallon breeder tank with 20 gallon sump here is my question what return pump would you recommend the various- 2 to the variousVARIOS-4.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am looking at setting up my first reef tank it will be a 40 gallon breeder tank with 20 gallon sump here is my question what return pump would you recommend the various- 2 to the variousVARIOS-4.
Without knowing anything else except the size of the display tank, my recommendation is the VarioS-2.
IMO you don't need any more than 200-250 gallons per hour going through your sump and after normal head loss, the VarioS-2 ( 792 gph at 0 head) should be more than enough.

ccrabtree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the varios-4 plumbed only to a manifold with flow sensors for a 25w UV and a dual media reactor. It is on the lowest setting and I still have to reduce the flow with gate valves to get flow around 800gph between the two so I would go with the varios-2 unless you are going to add a manifold to supply other things in the sump.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the varios 2 on my 90 with an Eshopps R200 sump under the DT. It's turned up pretty much to the max. Bought another varios to replace the 2 when the time comes, but this time the Varios 4 to get more umph. Really like the pump. Absolutely quiet. No vibration. Highly recommend.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back