return pumps

Cessnapilot1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a silly question, but is there a smart return pump that will increase or decrease it's return flow based on the the level of the sump? I am having huge issues trying to regulate flow from the tank into the sump and from the sump back to the tank. If I run my return pump much more than minimal, I empty the sump. However when I find a sweetspot that it's about equal, that only lasts a day or two at most before the pump starts to slack off and the sump fills, or the return filter starts to get clogged a little and the sump starts to empty. I'm constantly chasing my tail here and it's driving me crazy!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I suspect you’ll have more luck setting the pump flow to where you want and finagling the gate valve instead. I have a Sicce ADV and it does auto-detect if the water gets too low and shuts off.

What I did with my tank was open the gate valve all the way, find/set a flow and then just dialed back the gate valve until the water level in the overflow was just at the edge of the emergency overflow.

The Sicce can also be controlled through an Apex which allows it to be set to +/-1% increments (the ContrAll app only has increments of +/-3%).

OP
OP
Cessnapilot1974

Cessnapilot1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, but I suspect you’ll have more luck setting the pump flow to where you want and finagling the gate valve instead. I have a Sicce ADV and it does auto-detect if the water gets too low and shuts off.

What I did with my tank was open the gate valve all the way, find/set a flow and then just dialed back the gate valve until the water level in the overflow was just at the edge of the emergency overflow.

The Sicce can also be controlled through an Apex which allows it to be set to +/-1% increments (the ContrAll app only has increments of +/-3%).
do you put the gate valve on the pump return line, or the tank return line?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you put the gate valve on the pump return line, or the tank return line?
Well, the RedSea tanks arrive with all the plumbing pre-configured, but the gate valve is on the tank return pipe. If you don’t have any way of adjusting or controlling the flow from your overflow to your sump it could explain why you’re having difficulties.

You typically don’t need (or want) anything on your return pump pipes, as you want the flow to be as unobstructed as possible (and you have the ability to adjust the flow rate through the return pump itself).

Arthurfarris

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the distance increases, there is loss on the flow called headloss. Here is a link to a headloss calculator so you can do a best estimate. I would recommend that you slightly oversize your return pump and use the pump’s control features or a gate value to reduce the flow rate to get it to the proper gallons per hour that you need. To figure out if a pump provides enough delivery head for your sump, measure the distance between the bottom of the sump and the top of the aquarium. The delivery head of the pump should at least be the same height.

downonthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably a silly question, but is there a smart return pump that will increase or decrease it's return flow based on the the level of the sump? I am having huge issues trying to regulate flow from the tank into the sump and from the sump back to the tank. If I run my return pump much more than minimal, I empty the sump. However when I find a sweetspot that it's about equal, that only lasts a day or two at most before the pump starts to slack off and the sump fills, or the return filter starts to get clogged a little and the sump starts to empty. I'm constantly chasing my tail here and it's driving me crazy!
I had this problem when I first setup my Redsea reefer, I couldn't have it higher than 1.01 otherwise the ATO would start filling up the return chamber. I spent 30 minuted with it, opened the gate valve, turned up the pressure by .01, let it level out then did it over and over until i'm now at about 1.15 with the max being 1.2. But also, maybe your filtration is to thick, I had water clogging up because I had too much floss and the water couldn't get through faster than it was being pumped back up

OP
OP
Cessnapilot1974

Cessnapilot1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the distance increases, there is loss on the flow called headloss. Here is a link to a headloss calculator so you can do a best estimate. I would recommend that you slightly oversize your return pump and use the pump’s control features or a gate value to reduce the flow rate to get it to the proper gallons per hour that you need. To figure out if a pump provides enough delivery head for your sump, measure the distance between the bottom of the sump and the top of the aquarium. The delivery head of the pump should at least be the same height.
My pump is powerful enough, I barely have it pumping at all or it empties my sump quicker than it can fill. My filtration is via canister filters, so there is no filter media slowing the return water. The problem I have is I just can't keep a very steady level in sump. (Picture) This is what I'm using now. not sure what it is, can't find the box. The adjustments to this pump are very coarse. If I move it a fraction, it starts to pump out the sump. If I move a fraction the other way, the sump fills. When i find (usually accidently) a point of equilibium, that last for a while, but then the level in the sump will start to rise again. I correct this by unplugging/replugging the pump, which seems to reset it somewhat, but now I'm chasing that magical equilibrium again. The plumbing from the tank to the sump and the sump itself is here (pics)

I guess I can live with the poor flow to the sump, but the variable return pump flow is giving me grey hairs, and making me worry if I leave the house for a vacation...Do the better pumps keep their pumping power more steady, without these variations I'm dealing with?

Attachments

• 2021-08-23 21.04.31.jpg
    2021-08-23 21.04.31.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 2021-08-23 21.11.24.jpg
    2021-08-23 21.11.24.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2021-08-23 21.11.34.jpg
    2021-08-23 21.11.34.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 22
  • 2021-08-23 21.14.43.jpg
    2021-08-23 21.14.43.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
Cessnapilot1974

Cessnapilot1974

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any experience with one of these?

Jebao DCQ Series 900-2600 GPH DC Flow Adjustable Water Pump Wave Maker with Controller for Aquarium Fish Tank DCS DCT Update​

Back