Return to Hobby: Waterbox Peninsula 25

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 13 year hiatus I have decided to get back into the hobby, this time with interest and help from 3 curious kids! Wow so much jas changed, but so much is still familiar.

The AIO market has really taken off and the peninsula designs really caught my eye. As luck would have it. A local fish store was selling a used one with a Kessil 160WE and a bare frame stand for a great price.

We finished out the stand with sides (one of which is removable held in place with magnets), replaced the stock pump with a Jecod DCS1200, and 3d printed a filter cup and RFG. Aquascape is not quite NSA but also not a pile of rocks. We had a great time smashing and glueing them together and I think ot came out pretty darn good. We used about 15-20 lbs of rock and a 20 lbs bag of the caribsea direct live sand. The tank is in our dining room in a corner so you can see all sides, but it is not completely intrusive. We also built an acrylic lid to help with evaporation and a toddler...

Current inhabitants include a black ice and snowflake clown who are getting along well. Plan is for a mixed reef. We would like to eventually add an orange tail blenny, 6-line, and watchman/shrimp pair. I also plan on installing a hydros automation system.

Thanks for looking!

0925221957b.jpg 0926221747_HDR.jpg 0924221212_HDR.jpg 0923222156c.jpg 0923222156b.jpg 0921222011.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congratulations on the new adventure! It looks great!

If you would like, you can add the link for your build thread to your profile and you will automatically get a build thread banner that will link directly to this thread. Feel free to reach out to me if you would like help making this happen.

Glammers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back! I also took a long hiatus from the hobby and just returned earlier this year, we even have the same tank! I didn't realize how much I missed the hobby and am very happy to be back.

Watching your kids stare into the tank and smile is just the best feeling. Good luck with everything :)

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So many things the kids can learn abot, from biology, to chemistry, and even physics/hydrodynamics!

I am trying to nail down which powerhead and controller to go with. I am thinking Hydros. I wish their wave engine could control the Nero 3.

One thing is for sure: livestock prices are completely insane compared to the last time I was in this.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! So many things the kids can learn abot, from biology, to chemistry, and even physics/hydrodynamics!

I am trying to nail down which powerhead and controller to go with. I am thinking Hydros. I wish their wave engine could control the Nero 3.

One thing is for sure: livestock prices are completely insane compared to the last time I was in this.
Did you add a skimmer to this tank? I just purchased the same tank, can't wait to set it up!

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I love it. The peninsula arrangement is really neat and allows for some cool aqua scape and viewing angles you wouldn't normally get.

I do not run a skimmer. I removed the stock sock and 3d printed a small cylindrical filter cup to hold some fine sponge and 1Tbsp of rox carbon. Filter floss is flow restrictive amd clogs easily. In chamber 2 I have 3 pod hotels I printed, a mangrove shoot, thermometers, and a big bag of bio balls. Chamber 3 is just a heater. Additional flow is via Jebao SLW-20. I don't think I really need the skimmer.

JZ199

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome tank, how are you liking the peninsula so far? I was looking into getting one about a year ago, but my wife really like the Fluval Flex 32.5 so we ended up going that route. Eventually I still want to add some form of a waterbox tank!

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it alot. Perfect nano size tank. Only gripe is the 'metric' sized return loc lines lol.

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a second Kessil 160, not for PAR but for spread.

Lost our tail spot blenny yesterday due to extended carpet surfing. He somehow managed to jump through a nickel sized hole in our full size lid I use for lid removal. 1 in a 100000 shot! Sad to see him go but his aim was impeccable...

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot, I am also now running:

Hydros X4: pH probe, ATO reservoir sensor, temp 2

Hydros X2: ATO level, ATO pump, temp 1

Hydros XP8: all power, heater, etc

Hydros wave engine LE: Ice Cap 1k

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a Tampa Bay Saltwater Rox and Sand Treasure Chest (9 lbs gulf live sand and 3 lbs live rock) to add some biodiversity. I would rather deal with the random crab every now and then than 50 algae phases.

Never again dry rock and bottle bac!

liverock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to Ruckel Jr. High........many moons ago! Was great fishing in bens lake back then...

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way! Haven't fished much in Ben's lake..used to keep my boat there on base. Honestly the bay fishing hasn't been all the great, and I've spent most my efforts on offshore. Ever make it up this way?

OP
OP
FlyinAg

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shut down this tank... But upgraded to a Red Sea Reefer 200 XL G2!

Attachments

• PXL_20240227_001110325.jpg
    PXL_20240227_001110325.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 13
Back