Returning after 10 years... as a 21 year old

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I wanted to introduce myself. I recently got the time and money (LOL) to get back into the reef-keeping hobby. I had to give my last saltwater tank away at the age of 11 after moving across the country and have only been keeping freshwater since. During the past couple of years, I dabbled in aqua-scaping but recently fell back in love with reef keeping as I enjoy the chemistry and biology aspect of understanding the processes going on in the water and what makes the ecosystem so complex. I am a biochemistry major and aspiring medical student, so this is a really fitting hobby for me!
I am looking forward to sharing many pictures with you of my nano reef that I just recently set up and am very excited to learn about how others keep their nano tanks!
Welcome back to the hobby. Some awesome stuff has changed since then. Lots of good equipment but some of the costs have really skyrocketed. I have been in this hobby for over 30 years...Seems crazy. Anyways, welcome back. Feel free to ask me any questions :). This is a really Good Forum...with lots of awesome people.
What type of equipment are you using on your Nano tank? You might want to setup a thread for your tank so people can follow along.
I really need to update my thread but here it is.

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby. Some awesome stuff has changed since then. Lots of good equipment but some of the costs have really skyrocketed. I have been in this hobby for over 30 years...Seems crazy. Anyways, welcome back. Feel free to ask me any questions :). This is a really Good Forum...with lots of awesome people.
What type of equipment are you using on your Nano tank? You might want to setup a thread for your tank so people can follow along.
I really need to update my thread but here it is.
I agree, it's very expensive! Iļl be really trying to focus on DIY stuff to try and dampen the high costs but I feel like some are unavoidable.
Thank you for sharing you build thread! I'm excited to check it out! Mine is right here:

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
I wanted to introduce myself. I recently got the time and money (LOL) to get back into the reef-keeping hobby. I had to give my last saltwater tank away at the age of 11 after moving across the country and have only been keeping freshwater since. During the past couple of years, I dabbled in aqua-scaping but recently fell back in love with reef keeping as I enjoy the chemistry and biology aspect of understanding the processes going on in the water and what makes the ecosystem so complex. I am a biochemistry major and aspiring medical student, so this is a really fitting hobby for me!
I am looking forward to sharing many pictures with you of my nano reef that I just recently set up and am very excited to learn about how others keep their nano tanks!
Hi all! I've been hearing recommendations to post a builder's thread. Here is mine:

Jonify

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
[Time and Money both look at each other, sigh, and say "well, that didn't last long."] :D Welcome back!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Med school and a tank. Big goals. I wish you the best. My son will be heading to med school too (cross fingers). He will have no interest in a tank though. :(

Read the build. A 15g AIO will be nice for budget and stocking. You can always get an acrylic piece to place over the top (during running light days to help with evap or take off at night for better air). Since you are putting a skimmer in, should not effect air exchange. Just a though. Keep fish in too.

For fish, only ones in that small would be an ocellaris pair or pink skunk. Other than that, their are some great little fish for that size. A shrimp and goby pairing, neon gobies, green headed gobies, tailspot blenny, any trimma or eviota goby, clown gobies, two spot blenny, barnacle blenny. What fun!

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
Hello and welcome to the channel. Glad you are back into the reefing business.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby and to the R2R community

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard
ZomboMeme 26122020215907.jpg

OP
OP
SandyBay

SandyBay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Med school and a tank. Big goals. I wish you the best. My son will be heading to med school too (cross fingers). He will have no interest in a tank though. :(

Read the build. A 15g AIO will be nice for budget and stocking. You can always get an acrylic piece to place over the top (during running light days to help with evap or take off at night for better air). Since you are putting a skimmer in, should not effect air exchange. Just a though. Keep fish in too.

For fish, only ones in that small would be an ocellaris pair or pink skunk. Other than that, their are some great little fish for that size. A shrimp and goby pairing, neon gobies, green headed gobies, tailspot blenny, any trimma or eviota goby, clown gobies, two spot blenny, barnacle blenny. What fun!
Great reccomendations! Thank you!

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!
LOVE this post! Passion and youthful exuberance are better than Starbucks. Congrats on following your dream. I look forward to your 600 gallon custom build in about ten years.
family guy pond GIF

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back