Returning to the hobby!! Biocube32 build!!!

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am returning to the hobby after about a 10ish year hiatus.

Boy oh boy a lot has changed. Never thought I would be the guy talking to the lfs employee saying "that wasn't around last time I had a tank" hahahah.

New techniques/different equipment. But now I have amazon and 2 day shipping to aid me.

I'm planning on documenting my build and hoping to get as much help as possible from others as I reacquaint myself with the ins and outs of the hobby.

Few data points.

Ordered the biocube 32 and stand reef package with live rock/sand from marineandreef.(had a decent black friday deal) I know I could have prob saved money by buying the individual parts but for time sake plus I am starting from scratch equipment wise I needed a new foundation.

From there I want to get that up and running and make upgrades.

Already went overboard ordering ro/di system, extra rock base, test kits and other seemingly "needed" items.

Put the tank/stand together and filled the tank.

Stand is more stable than the reviews said.

I ordered the tank combo that came with 15lbs of the life rock. Ordered 10lbs rock base on Amazon and 5lbs of live rock from a lfs.

12 lbs of sand came with the kit and I bought 20 lbs of live sand from a lfs.

The water system I got was the Aquatilife system. 60$ and had a DI add on. I got that one since I am able to hook it up to my kitchen sink so it is more convenient for me.

Started the cycle over the weekend. Picked up 20lbs of live sand and 5 lbs of live rock from a lfs to assist with the cycle.

Will test in the next few days and post the specs.

What is everyone's setup for their filters?

I have a skimmer that came with my kit. Thinking about putting that in the overflow box compartment. (Compartment one)

Then running filterfloss then carbon then a combination of chemipure blue/biofilter media gems in the second compartment.

The third has my heater and return pump.

Eventually I would like to get the intank media basket and refugium set up but baby steps after I bought the kit hahaha.

16074983268308171842735702551520.jpg 16074983608613807582899373583967.jpg 16074984070622747331402515312918.jpg

OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Boy oh boy a lot has changed. Never thought I would be the guy talking to the lfs employee saying "that wasn't around last time I had a tank" hahahah.

New techniques/different equipment. But now I have amazon and 2 day shipping to aid me.

I'm planning on documenting my build and hoping to get as much help as possible from others as I reacquaint myself with the ins and outs of the hobby.

Few data points.

Ordered the biocube 32 and stand reef package with live rock/sand from marineandreef.(had a decent black friday deal) I know I could have prob saved money by buying the individual parts but for time sake plus I am starting from scratch equipment wise I needed a new foundation.

Already went overboard ordering ro/di system, extra rock base, test kits and other seemingly "needed" items.

I ordered the tank combo that came with 15lbs of the life rock. Ordered 10lbs rock base on Amazon and 5lbs of live rock from a lfs.

The water system I got was the Aquatilife system. 60$ and had a DI add on. I got that one since I am able to hook it up to my kitchen sink so it is more convenient for me.

Started the cycle over the weekend. Picked up 20lbs of live sand and 5 lbs of live rock from a lfs to assist with the cycle.

I have a skimmer that came with my kit. Thinking about putting that in the overflow box compartment. (Compartment one)

Then running filterfloss then carbon then a combination of chemipure blue/biofilter media gems in the second compartment.

Eventually I would like to get the intank media basket and refugium set up but baby steps after I bought the kit hahaha.

16074983268308171842735702551520.jpg 16074983608613807582899373583967.jpg 16074984070622747331402515312918.jpg

Few data points.

Attachments

• 20201209_191328.jpg
    20201209_191328.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update

12/4/20 water in tank

2nd test. 12/13/20. Day 9.

Looks to me about:

8.0 ph

.50 ammonia

.50 nitrite

10 nitrate

Attachments

• 20201213_171307.jpg
    20201213_171307.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 51

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I was away from the hobby for just about the same amount of time as you. I also started with a Biocube 32 when started again. I upgraded the lights to Steve’s LEDs so I could grow sps. After moving, I didn’t want the biocube so I upgraded lol. Welcome back and goodluck with the build!

OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it. Happy to be back.

Any opinion on a warmer tank during cycle? Saw a few people had 84 degrees during cycle.

Also saw most recommend a water change after the cycle. Doesnt make much sense to me if the specs are good at that point. Is there a specific reason to do a change?

shandoee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it. Happy to be back.

Any opinion on a warmer tank during cycle? Saw a few people had 84 degrees during cycle.

Also saw most recommend a water change after the cycle. Doesnt make much sense to me if the specs are good at that point. Is there a specific reason to do a change?
I’m cycling my current tank at 81 degrees. I used Dr. Tim’s ammonium chloride and One and Only. He recommends between 81-84 degrees to help the bacteria grow.

Reason why I would do a water change is if the nitrate levels are too high. If it’s within reasonable levels, I would leave it alone. For me, if it’s at 10ppm I wouldn’t do a water change.

OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finished the cycle and grabbed a clown pair, small gsp and pulsing xenia. Nice to have some color in the tank and kick the lights on.

Been running a light schedule of about 14 hours. 8 of it is the full power whites and blues with overlapping sunrise/sunset and moonlights. Light out completely for about 10 hours. That's when I have the fuge light on in the back.

Didnt want to get the Cuc until the clowns were in the tank a few weeks. Read the cuc could die if there isnt anything to eat. But now with the lights on starting to get some minor signs of diatoms.

I hooked up the skimmer and threw my bag of chemipure blue in since I read that may help remove silicates that can combat diatoms.

So I have filter floss to catch debris. A protein skimmer. Chemipure blue and chaeto all running.

Is that a little overkill? Still trying to find out what the best filter set up will be

Attachments

• 20201220_165023.jpg
    20201220_165023.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201219_130234.jpg
    20201219_130234.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 61
OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dealing with heating fluctuations since I started the skimmer.

Heat bounced about 4.5 degrees from morning to night last few days. Did a minor water add and placed some bagged cubes to drop the temp back to about 80.

Is this normal with the biocube hood? I'm in SoCal so our outside temp is pretty stable at 73 year round. I have a heater in the tank but am starting to think the hood/lights/wave maker/return pump/skimmer may be enough to keep the temp at 80 during the day?

Is it common to run a heater less tank?

Anyone with guidance?

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dealing with heating fluctuations since I started the skimmer.

Heat bounced about 4.5 degrees from morning to night last few days. Did a minor water add and placed some bagged cubes to drop the temp back to about 80.

Is this normal with the biocube hood? I'm in SoCal so our outside temp is pretty stable at 73 year round. I have a heater in the tank but am starting to think the hood/lights/wave maker/return pump/skimmer may be enough to keep the temp at 80 during the day?

Is it common to run a heater less tank?

Anyone with guidance?
Can't say for sure but mine stays a stable 78-79. I live where it's currently 29 tho so a heater is a must.

OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I mean does the hood of your tank cause large swings in your tank through the day?

From sun up to sun down I'm having swings of 4 to 4.5 is degrees right now.

Full lights kick on at about 11 am temp around 78 f then off at 7pm with tems around 82. I'm assuming the hood with all the equip is causing the swing. But not sure if that 4 degree swing is normal. I'm trying to keep a lower swing 1-2 degrees.

Is it you heater that's keeping everything in the 1-2 degree range alone?

I had my heater set at 78 degrees but it still went up to 82.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I mean does the hood of your tank cause large swings in your tank through the day?

From sun up to sun down I'm having swings of 4 to 4.5 is degrees right now.

Full lights kick on at about 11 am temp around 78 f then off at 7pm with tems around 82. I'm assuming the hood with all the equip is causing the swing. But not sure if that 4 degree swing is normal. I'm trying to keep a lower swing 1-2 degrees.

Is it you heater that's keeping everything in the 1-2 degree range alone?

I had my heater set at 78 degrees but it still went up to 82.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
The ambient temperature of my apartment is like 68 F so the tank always needs to be warmed up relative to the surrounding air. That allows it to be kept within a narrow range solely by the heater. You could invest in a chiller or keep the room your tank is in colder, both would work.

OP
OP
Galliente

Galliente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started to pick up a few corals.

Gsp
Pulsing xenia with a couple zoa hitchhikers pretty cool bonus

Most recently picked up
Florida ricordia
Yuma ricordia
Green tip toadstool

I saw a video on brs tv about hydrogen peroxide dipping and wanted to give it a try.

Dipped In straight peroxide only about 20 seconds then a bowl of tank water and I turkey basted the frag to blow everything off.

Peroxide worked. 2 out of the 3 frags I got had hitch hikes. One bristleworm and one starfish.

The Yuma looks a little stressed after the dip tho. Some tissue on the outskirts are little loose. The transport from the lfs could have added to the stress too tho.

Any one out there with similar experiences?

I'm just a little worried since the coral that cost the most had to be the one that's stressed...sigh...

Back