Returning to the scene of the crime.....

F&S reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, first post here. Ive been lurking here and reading threads that I found through google for a few weeks now. I am returning to reefing with my son after about a 15 year hiatus. Me and my son popped into a LFS just to look and he caught the bug the same way I did when I was about his age. He wasn't quite born yet when I got out of reefing and its exciting to see how cool he thinks it is. So we went on a metroplex wide tour of all the LFS to #1 see if he was still interested after seeing a lot of it and #2 decide what we liked if we decided to pursue this for real.

We did decide to dive in and I have purchased us a tank as of yesterday. We bought a waterbox marine x 90.3 with the oak colored stand. I did not buy their lighting package which is what I am here for today. The dimensions of the tank itself are 35.4"×19.7"×21.7" and the tank is 59.3 gallons with no brace or obstructions on the top.

After looking at all the lighting options at the various LFS I have seen all of the popular options that are for sale when it comes to LED lighting. When I last got out of this hobby the LED stuff was just coming on. I still have a brand new in the box 250w halide setup with m80 HQI magnetic ballast and phoenix 14k bulb that I was going to put over an oceanic 30g cube tank, lol. That stuff while never used is all 15+ years old now.

What this whole story gets down to is that I really liked the kessil a360x lights when I saw them in the stores. I liked how it made the corals in the stores pop, I like the shimmer, and I liked the aesthetics. Now I have spent quite a while searching, reading, and watching videos on these lights and the consensus that I observed is that its about 50/50 on them. For what we are going to do which is going to be softys and lps I think from what I have gathered we will be more than fine. I do not want to add supplemental lighting FYI.

My question boils down to this I know for sure I need at least 2 of these, the mounts and the wifi dongle. Would I be better off with 3 turned down a bit or the 2 running higher output? MAYBE one day after we get this down real good id like to do one of the easier SPS like a monti or something but that's way down the road.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on your tank!!!. Part of it would be the rock work design you're planning - and the types of things you want to keep. Coral? Soft coral? etc etc. What are the dimensions of that tank?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just popping in to say welcome to the community and welcome back to the salty side for you and it's great that your son is also involved! I look forward to seeing your setup. :) I don't know anything about Kessil lights (I run an AI Prime HD over my 5g) but you will get plenty of informed replies here. You can also search that light on here to see which members are running them (or did at one time). Intensity is important but I think what you need to figure out is the coverage each light will give you. You might find two is enough and not even at full intensity because where the light overlaps (if there is overlap) will have a fair bit of light. The other factor is how deep the light penetrates for the depth of your tank. You can always contact kessil with your tank's dimensions to get their opinion as to two vs three for the type of coral you want. :)

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, getting to enjoy this hobby with your son will make for some wonderful memories. For that tank with 2 of those kessils you should be fine even with sps. If need be you can always add another later.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Welcome Back :)

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy, first post here. Ive been lurking here and reading threads that I found through google for a few weeks now. I am returning to reefing with my son after about a 15 year hiatus. Me and my son popped into a LFS just to look and he caught the bug the same way I did when I was about his age. He wasn't quite born yet when I got out of reefing and its exciting to see how cool he thinks it is. So we went on a metroplex wide tour of all the LFS to #1 see if he was still interested after seeing a lot of it and #2 decide what we liked if we decided to pursue this for real.

We did decide to dive in and I have purchased us a tank as of yesterday. We bought a waterbox marine x 90.3 with the oak colored stand. I did not buy their lighting package which is what I am here for today. The dimensions of the tank itself are 35.4"×19.7"×21.7" and the tank is 59.3 gallons with no brace or obstructions on the top.

After looking at all the lighting options at the various LFS I have seen all of the popular options that are for sale when it comes to LED lighting. When I last got out of this hobby the LED stuff was just coming on. I still have a brand new in the box 250w halide setup with m80 HQI magnetic ballast and phoenix 14k bulb that I was going to put over an oceanic 30g cube tank, lol. That stuff while never used is all 15+ years old now.

What this whole story gets down to is that I really liked the kessil a360x lights when I saw them in the stores. I liked how it made the corals in the stores pop, I like the shimmer, and I liked the aesthetics. Now I have spent quite a while searching, reading, and watching videos on these lights and the consensus that I observed is that its about 50/50 on them. For what we are going to do which is going to be softys and lps I think from what I have gathered we will be more than fine. I do not want to add supplemental lighting FYI.

My question boils down to this I know for sure I need at least 2 of these, the mounts and the wifi dongle. Would I be better off with 3 turned down a bit or the 2 running higher output? MAYBE one day after we get this down real good id like to do one of the easier SPS like a monti or something but that's way down the road.

Welcome! To answer your question yes 3 would outperform 2. You will get better coverage with less shadowing and as you said you can have them turned down and then one day increase the intensity.

At the same time 2 likely be sufficient with your current stocking plan of lps and softies.

OP
OP
F&S reef

F&S reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your tank!!!. Part of it would be the rock work design you're planning - and the types of things you want to keep. Coral? Soft coral? etc etc. What are the dimensions of that tank?

Howdy and thanks for your response! I believe I put all of the particulars in the original post. Please let me know if I missed anything to help me make this decision.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Howdy and thanks for your response! I believe I put all of the particulars in the original post. Please let me know if I missed anything to help me make this decision.
You're right - you did - I scrolled up to the wrong post:)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back