Reusing old sand

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read dozens of threads on this and there seems to be a lack of consensus. Much of it depends on the specifics, so here goes.

I am setting up a 75g mixed reef. I have sand that I bought new and used on my last set up. When I took it down, I placed the sand in a bucket. It would cost me about $150 to replace so I would like to try and reuse it.

What process do I need to go through to insure that it won't cause me any problems in my new set up? Or do I have to toss it out and start over?

Thanks.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used old sand like this before. I used bleach and cleaned the sand and then rinsed and re-rinsed really well. Then I used the sand. :D

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've beached and reused gravel substrate. Loaded 5 gallon salt buckets a little less than half full of substrate and used a garden hose to stir and rinse the gravel. Once It begins to rinse fairly clean, pour off off half add 1-1.5 cups of unscented beach and stir it up well. Let it sit for a couple of days. Then I rinse again with the garden hose with enough pressure to stir the substrate in the bucket but not enough to push it over the top of the bucket. I let each bucket flush this way for a while stirring occasionally to make sure every bit gets rinsed - when I'm satisfied, I pour enough water out so that the gravel/sand just remains covered - add a couple of caps of prime, stir thoroughly and let sit for an hour or so.

Finally I pour off all the water that I can and spread the substrate out on an absorbent material and let the sun thoroughly dry it. I use a clean bed-sheet, if you use plastic it takes longer to dry as water will pool on top of the plastic under the sand.

Smell the gravel - if you smell any bleach - let it dry longer. I don't know that it wouldn't be safe to use the substrate immediately after the prime step - but once I get bleach smell in my nose - I smell it everywhere and I'm really paranoid - so I let it dry. I use ordinary tap water - I guess it might be better to do the final rinse in rodi but I never have.

One last thing - if you have any bits carbon media in the sand - pick it out before bleaching. The bleach will turn the carbon to mush and it will then take forever to rinse completely out.

Last edited:

Glenn

Reefer and Model Railroad
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am going from 'old tank' to 'new tank' in the same day (or next day), I skip the bleach. I rinse it out to get rid of most detritus, but I think the beneficial bacteria remaining from the freshwater rinse is better for the tank.

If the sand will be sitting for more than one day, I do the same as Robert - i.e. rinse well, bleach, and dry.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just rinse it well and just use it, but if you ever had a phosphate issue in the tank with the sand I would toss it. Calcium carbonate sand can bind phosphates and release them latter.

ReefCycle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm all for recycling the sand for the next use but from tank to tank (instant swap) sand is a no reuse situation for me. Crushed Coral or gravel you can easily stir and use but sand is dangerous. My setups cost way more to me than 3 bags plus of sand. To lose any fish or coral over sand seems silly. Now don't get me wrong if u have the time to fully clean and dry sand prior to new setup be my guest but typically in an upgrade situation you don't have that time.
My .02

OP
OP
oigimsar

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes a difference. The sand is a mixture of Tropic Eden reef flakes (Aragonite) and Carib Sea (Fiji Pink). No one sells the Tropic Eden near me and shipping on sand is ridiculous so I am trying to figure out a way to resuse it. I agree that crashing a tank is more expensive than sand that is why I am asking...if it won't work, I won't do it.

Sounds like the bleaching method works for sure, it just takes time. Right?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it makes a difference. The sand is a mixture of Tropic Eden reef flakes (Aragonite) and Carib Sea (Fiji Pink). No one sells the Tropic Eden near me and shipping on sand is ridiculous so I am trying to figure out a way to resuse it. I agree that crashing a tank is more expensive than sand that is why I am asking...if it won't work, I won't do it.

Sounds like the bleaching method works for sure, it just takes time. Right?

Bleaching will make the sand white again and oxidize any organics in it, It will not remove phosphates. It also needs to be pure bleach and you have to make sure there is no bleach left in the sand after. You could use dechlorinator to help remove the bleach.

You could always go bare bottom.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rinsed sand before and reused it in my tanks... I have also dealt with an algae bloom as well after setting one of these up which I cannot attribute directly to the sand, but after that I have used new sand and it never blooms...

There is just too much stuff that can get caught in the sand and cause you issues. I don't think I would reuse it at all other than maybe making your own frag plugs or something...

If you are going to rinse it, a low grade acid like vinegar can get some of the nasties out of the sand. You will eat away some of it though so be ready for that. Bleaching will help as well but you need to let it dry. Just rinsing leaves too many unknowns since the sand can absorb things and it will not rinse out easily.

OP
OP
oigimsar

oigimsar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am having a hard time getting my arms around is that the companies we buy dry sand from in bags must have done something to it to make it usable in our tanks? I realize there is some sand that is bagged directly from the ocean but many people buy dry sand and seed it from another tank.

It sounds like it is best to use it for something else and get new but I would still like to understand this.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 76 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back