ReUsing Rock

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some rock I’ve taken out of my 60 tall as I am about to break it down...was wondering what’s the best process to cure the rock and get it ready to be placed in a new tank.
The old tank had hair and bubble algae issues...neglected a little after my sump burst on me.
Would I be better off just using new rock?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timeframe?

I'd probably just leave it out in the sun for a week or two (or longer, powerwash it and use it in the new system. You could go to the trouble of bleaching or even a acid bath, but at least IME it just isn't necessary.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how bad the rock is. If you want to use it sooner, just put it into a dark bin with lid and some saltwater and pump and let it sit for a few weeks. Change water as algae dies away. Then it will stay live, but kill the algae.
However, if it had aiptasia, I would take out and powerwash, leave out in sun to dry for weeks, then use as dead rock.
If really bad, acid wash and powerwash and leave in sun to dry.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timeframe?

I'd probably just leave it out in the sun for a week or two (or longer, powerwash it and use it in the new system. You could go to the trouble of bleaching or even a acid bath, but at least IME it just isn't necessary.
There’s no rush, the tank isn’t even up and I just want to use the rocks from the old tank as islands because we already have an aquascape for the 120 tank.
I’m leaning toward power washing and leaving in the sun, thank you for you suggestion!!!!

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few ideas for you. Curring rock naturally with salt water, heater and so on works great, but it does take time. To speed it up, I would do a bleach bath. Put rocks in a bucket, fill with tap water, add bleach and let it soak for few days to a week. Wash rocks, put back in with RO/DI water, add dechlorinator (or you can skip this step and leave rocks out in the sun so that all bleach disappears) finally, soak again in RO/Di water for few days and test for chlorine and phosphate. Whole thing should take no more than 3 weeks max.

Or if you know what you are doing, you can do the same thing with acid bath. Word of warning, acid is quite dangerous if you dont know what you are doing, and you really need to wear all the safety gear. Acid bath lasts few minutes to 1 hour at most. Only thing you would need to do after acid bath is completed is to soak in RO/DI and check for PO4. Again, dangerous and not recommended if you dont know what you are doing.

Great video explaining all, and showing results

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s no rush, the tank isn’t even up and I just want to use the rocks from the old tank as islands because we already have an aquascape for the 120 tank.
I’m leaning toward power washing and leaving in the sun, thank you for you suggestion!!!!

No matter how long you leave it in the sun or how much power washing you do the exact same algae will reappear. If that is the route your are leaning you are better off just giving those rocks a good hard bristled scrubbing and thorough rinse in saltwater to keep the good bacteria alive.

If you don't care about the bacteria then acid bath or bleach. Acid bath in my opinion is overkill a lot more dangerous. Bleach is just as effective at killing algae spores. You will soak in bleach for 5-10 days with mixture of anywhere from 5-1 to 10-1 water to bleach. Leave the rock out in the sun for a couple days to completely dry and bleach to evaporate. Give it another fresh water rinse if you want to be extra cautious before putting in the tank.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter how long you leave it in the sun or how much power washing you do the exact same algae will reappear. If that is the route your are leaning you are better off just giving those rocks a good hard bristled scrubbing and thorough rinse in saltwater to keep the good bacteria alive.

If you don't care about the bacteria then acid bath or bleach. Acid bath in my opinion is overkill a lot more dangerous. Bleach is just as effective at killing algae spores. You will soak in bleach for 5-10 days with mixture of anywhere from 5-1 to 10-1 water to bleach. Leave the rock out in the sun for a couple days to completely dry and bleach to evaporate. Give it another fresh water rinse if you want to be extra cautious before putting in the tank.
Oh really?
I thought the time spent out of the water would effectively kill algae spores!

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh really?
I thought the time spent out of the water would effectively kill algae spores!

Nope. I have learned the hard way. You can let it sit out in the sun for months and power wash it until the sun does down and you have accomplished next to nothing in regard to preventing that algae from coming back. Bleach or Acid will kill it. Although that too is a total waste of time if you don't do a better job of reef keeping as you will eventually be back to where you are now.

My tank was once completely overrun after about a 6 month period of total neglect. I scrubbed all the rocks really good with a hard brush and rinsed well in salt water. Did almost a 100% water change and really reduced my fish load / feeding. It's a couple hours of hard hands on work but your tank is basically back to normal the same day. Plus you feel better about doing it that way than just killing everything on the rock. At least I did :)

I also did a better job of choosing my fish and went with a couple good algae eaters. I don't have a problem with it but if you don't want to put a tang in that size tank, there are some really good looking rabbitfish that absolutely hammer algae all day long.

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a acid wash, then a mixed bleach wash, then a freshwater soak and rinse, the a 1 month cycle in a plastic bin with actual RODI saltwater, monitor phosphate and nitrates water change as needed make sure a skimmer is used to help with organic removal, and heated is important, if you donit right it will full of great bacteria and almost a rock solid staple, I'd maybe keep in mind of your rock scape ahead of time and make it one or too pieces before starting this process, nyos reef cement is a great way to make rock scape and if 100% reef safe just my 2c

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I have learned the hard way. You can let it sit out in the sun for months and power wash it until the sun does down and you have accomplished next to nothing in regard to preventing that algae from coming back. Bleach or Acid will kill it. Although that too is a total waste of time if you don't do a better job of reef keeping as you will eventually be back to where you are now.

My tank was once completely overrun after about a 6 month period of total neglect. I scrubbed all the rocks really good with a hard brush and rinsed well in salt water. Did almost a 100% water change and really reduced my fish load / feeding. It's a couple hours of hard hands on work but your tank is basically back to normal the same day. Plus you feel better about doing it that way than just killing everything on the rock. At least I did :)

I also did a better job of choosing my fish and went with a couple good algae eaters. I don't have a problem with it but if you don't want to put a tang in that size tank, there are some really good looking rabbitfish that absolutely hammer algae all day long.
I did my first saltwater tank with no RODI water, it held up ok until my sump burst only me and I lost my refugium...then all hell broke loose algae-wise. Then I was so upset after the sump burst (I made it myself) I found myself neglecting the tank. This time I’m doing it right, getting the RODI set up in the next few days, hopefully with better success. If nothing else it will have a better maintenance schedule!

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did my first saltwater tank with no RODI water, it held up ok until my sump burst only me and I lost my refugium...then all hell broke loose algae-wise. Then I was so upset after the sump burst (I made it myself) I found myself neglecting the tank. This time I’m doing it right, getting the RODI set up in the next few days, hopefully with better success. If nothing else it will have a better maintenance schedule!
When you are going to start a tank over again, you want to kill off all bacteria that is inside the outside the rock, if their is pest in the rock you should clean them correctly, removing them and scrubing everything is effective on the outside, but remember live rock is like a house for bacteria and lots of other microorganism to thrive and help with nutrient export, 90% of the time your tank will go through a recycle and it will look horrible for weeks to months due to bacteria reproducing so fast it will have a white cloudy water column, so if your doing a new tank with old rock follow the procedure with works

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd do a acid wash, then a mixed bleach wash, then a freshwater soak and rinse, the a 1 month cycle in a plastic bin with actual RODI saltwater, monitor phosphate and nitrates water change as needed make sure a skimmer is used to help with organic removal, and heated is important, if you donit right it will full of great bacteria and almost a rock solid staple, I'd maybe keep in mind of your rock scape ahead of time and make it one or too pieces before starting this process, nyos reef cement is a great way to make rock scape and if 100% reef safe just my 2c

Acid and bleach would kill absolutely everything on that rock, so there wouldnt be any organics left to remove during cycle. You could have PO4 leaching from the rocks though.

jstncoffman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are going to start a tank over again, you want to kill off all bacteria that is inside the outside the rock, if their is pest in the rock you should clean them correctly, removing them and scrubing everything is effective on the outside, but remember live rock is like a house for bacteria and lots of other microorganism to thrive and help with nutrient export, 90% of the time your tank will go through a recycle and it will look horrible for weeks to months due to bacteria reproducing so fast it will have a white cloudy water column, so if your doing a new tank with old rock follow the procedure with works
[/URL]

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back