Reusing sand from 3 month old tank

Spfd60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my tank to a new house 3 months ago. At that time i replaced my sand. I just purchased a new tank since the seams on my old tank are starting to fail. I am taking everything out of my tank today and will have the new tank plumbed up ready for everything by Friday. Would it be ok to keep the sand in a tub with water, powerhead and heater or should I bite the bullet and replace the sand again?

Thanks

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reason to trash and replace your sand. Put it in a bucket and rinse it in hose water until the water runs clean. Run a few gallons of rodi over it then into the new tank.

If you are witching over most components and rock, your tank won't need a jump start. It's already started. You'll lose some bac on the old tank walls but the new tank will quickly colonize and you shouldn't have any "break in cycle"

r4rlee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved my tank to a new house 3 months ago. At that time i replaced my sand. I just purchased a new tank since the seams on my old tank are starting to fail. I am taking everything out of my tank today and will have the new tank plumbed up ready for everything by Friday. Would it be ok to keep the sand in a tub with water, powerhead and heater or should I bite the bullet and replace the sand again?

Thanks
I just change tanks I upgraded from a 13.5 gallon to 125 gallon I kept my Sand and like you’re suggesting had it in a bucket with water and the heater and it seems to have been ok

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back