reusing tank + equipment which had velvet or brook

Benhuan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Im thinking of setting up my nuvo 10 for breeding my clowns however the tank + its equipment all was exposed to velvet around 4 weeks ago. Since 4 weeks ago i emptied the tank and left it in my balcony where it was exposed to sun and rainwater. Fast forward today and i just rinsed off my tank and equipment in hotish water ~50-70 degrees Celsius and soaked the return pump and filter media in a bucket of ro water. My question is can i use this tank now or will it still have the parasite? Just worried that the rainwater might have allowed the parasite to live somehow.
Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my usual cleaning and sterilizing of tanks and equipment for tanks that have been used as a QT.

Always wear eye (face shield or goggles), mouth (mask) and skin protection (gloves) when using the following. ALWAYS!

First clean with bleach, rinse, rinse, rinse. Let completely dry. This kills bacteria.

Second clean with vinegar, rinse, rinse, rinse, Let completely dry. This neutralizes any copper that was in the tank by converting it into a harmless form.

Third clean with hydrogen peroxide, rinse, rinse, rinse. Let completely dry. This step totally destroys any carbon based materials. Often used in labs to sterilize equipment and facilities. I especially include this step for tanks that have had Brook, uronema, gram negative bacterial infections.

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Everyone nailed it. If after all that you are still worried...

1581987527713.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t resist

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back