Reusing water for WC

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, could you reuse water from an different tank to change the water in a fowlr? I do not have a fowlr but I do have a reef tank. In this reef, my pH, alk, cal, nitrates and phosphates are all in the correct range to grow coral. My dosing and WC regimen keeps these parameters stable. Therefore when I do WC it is for replenishing trace elements and slight reduction in nutrients. So the water taken out is not technically dirty or wrong chemically. Then can't you reuse this water to do a water change on a fowlr? Fish are not as sensitive to nitrates and phosphates and I do not think they will mind a lack of trace elements.
To add another step if I add extra ro water to increase the % of water change for the fowlr without adding salt and I lower salinity, I do not think the fish will mind this either correct?

Thanks and Happy Reefing!

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, could you reuse water from an different tank to change the water in a fowlr? I do not have a fowlr but I do have a reef tank. In this reef, my pH, alk, cal, nitrates and phosphates are all in the correct range to grow coral. My dosing and WC regimen keeps these parameters stable. Therefore when I do WC it is for replenishing trace elements and slight reduction in nutrients. So the water taken out is not technically dirty or wrong chemically. Then can't you reuse this water to do a water change on a fowlr? Fish are not as sensitive to nitrates and phosphates and I do not think they will mind a lack of trace elements.
To add another step if I add extra ro water to increase the % of water change for the fowlr without adding salt and I lower salinity, I do not think the fish will mind this either correct?

Thanks and Happy Reefing!
That should not be a problem at all, imo.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypothetically, you could do that. It would be worth doing if the water you pull out of the reef is "clean." I've filled my QT that way.

My water change water is really dirty, and full of algae and cyano.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 69 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 62 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back