Revamped Quarantine Procedure!

Tide Pool Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
This is how I've been quarantining for the past several months. I thought it was time to officially post the updated version! The biggest difference is that I'm prophylactically treating with a variety of medications now.

Quarantine

Here at Tide Pool Aquatics, we take pride in the health of our fish. Our quarantine procedure starts with our suppliers. We only work with the best in the industry to assure that we are receiving healthy specimens from the start. Moreover, transportation stress is minimal due to our short distance from the distributors.

Once received and acclimated, we perform a freshwater bath on all fish to minimize the introduction of disease into our systems. Once the bath is complete, we move our fish with specimen containers or by hand to the main quarantine system. This system holds over 300 gallons and is running two oversized protein skimmers. Unless the fish exhibits excessive signs of disease, they remain in the main quarantine system for a minimum of 2 weeks. They are then moved to tanks with no medication and listed for sale.

We were not having as much success with our QT protocol as we had hoped, so we’ve introduced the use of many different medications. First and foremost, we run 1.7ppm copper power in the main quarantine system at all times. The constant copper prevents outbreaks of ich and velvet in our systems. Additionally, each fish is dipped in a methylene blue solution and a nitrofurazone solution every evening. The methylene blue treats for fungus and the nitrofurazone prevents bacterial infections such as red sores, pop-eye, and fin & tail rot. New arrivals receive freshwater baths every other day for the first week. Every fish listed for sale has undergone at least one round of praziquantel. This treats for any flukes, intestinal worms, or turbellarians that the fish may be carrying. Lastly, all new arrivals are fed with metronidazole and kanamycin for three days to prophylactically treat for bacterial diseases. If any condition is especially persistent, we have designated hospital systems for medicating fish.

Once fish have completed the 2 week quarantine process, they are moved to tanks without medication to prevent overexposure to copper and possible head and lateral line erosion. At this point, healthy fish are listed for sale. In the case of a fish contracting disease part way through the quarantine process, the timeline resets. The fish must be disease free for another 2 weeks before going on sale. Because we want the best possible outcome for our fish, we take care to make sure they’re in their best health with great coloration before leaving our facilities. Although we are diligent about our quarantine procedure, it’s always a good practice to quarantine all incoming fish prior to introducing them to your display tank.

Thank you if you made it this far! Please let me know any comments or questions you may have.

-Blake Lewis

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Kudos to you folks for being so pro active while the supply chain is so badly polluted with sick, injured and parasitic fish. ;)

Do consider yourself a successful reef keeper?

• Yes (tell us in the thread what it takes to keep a healthy reef)

Votes: 129 40.6%
  • No I wouldn't consider myself successful yet

Votes: 161 50.6%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 28 8.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
The WaveEngine is Available November 12th!