Reverse ID?

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tank from a friend, I stocked it with some fish and have lost a few. I am not entirely sure what's in the tank. But I assume something is stressing the fish out. I have never seen anything other than maybe some bristleworms and not 100% but could be fireworms. I trapped for 2 weeks and have a dusky wrasse that eats worms which has cut down and I see very few in a trap now. Today I lost my tang. He was somewhat alive when found and had a pretty large bite mark on him.
cd7510eacfde4256d9c2b3253fd1093a.jpeg
ac4f974d952fc1d05e36148f9980755d.jpeg

Curious what you all may think is lurking in the tank. My theory is that this tang was getting weak because he was refusing to eat. He's a rather new addition. And because he refused he got weak before I could get another type of food and got bitten which did him in.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, nitrates are at 2 and phosphates are at .02 last I checked. The other fish in the tank are fine swimming normally and eating really well.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how the other fish died? Did they show any odd behaviors or marks similar to the tang? What was the timeline of the deaths? You said the tang refused to eat, what foods did you try and did you ever notice any white stringy poop? Was the tang a new addition or one that came with the tank?

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know how the other fish died? Did they show any odd behaviors or marks similar to the tang? What was the timeline of the deaths? You said the tang refused to eat, what foods did you try and did you ever notice any white stringy poop? Was the tang a new addition or one that came with the tank?

I have lost 3 fish in this tank only. I believe the reason why they died. Is because they were new fish and we’re still acclimating and we’re not eating. I have fish in the tank that are fine but have been in there for a month or so now. It appears that new fish have been hit or miss in this tank only. The other two fish that died also had bite marks on them.The tang was looking for food on rocks but would not eat seaweed or the Misys shrimp. And there was no white stringy poop at all. She had been in the tank for around 14 days. I had just ordered purple and red sea weed before he died and obviously am not able to test if he would’ve eaten that.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red light at night might find something.

I have tried the red light. Never see anything troublesome. I saw some worms at one point. So it’s possible there could be something. But I have had the following for closing in on 2 months.

Alive:
Lineatus
Dusky Wrasse (same genus as melanarus)
2 lyretail anthias
Firefish

Dead:
White tail Bristletooth Tang
Flame Wrasse female was a pair the male had been on hold. So maybe separation anxiety? She wouldn’t eat just died.
Lyretail Anthias

The first time I added fish, I woke up to what appeared to be a fireworm wrapped around an anthias with a hole bit out of its side. I trapped for weeks. My other tank has only vermatid snails but no worms at all. So I have never had this problem. I am setting up a new tank with dry rock and cycling it and dipping/transferring everything over. It’s just weird that some new fish do fine and others just don’t. For now I am counting my blessings that my LFS is giving me credit and I will wait to get more fish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds more like a predator, than a disease, that is taking your fish out.

Do you QT your fish?

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I unfortunately don't have a QT yet, that is something I plan to setup. But I just bought a house, and this tank was sprung on me. I hadn't intended to setup another tank just yet I was going to build out a QT system etc. But sometimes plans change :). If it is a predator, the only logical options I can think of would be a fireworm or eunice worm. The new red sea reefer 350 isn't going to be setup for at least another 2 weeks and than it still has to cycle. If I have a predator in there, what's the best option to try to remove it? Fireworms are easy with a trap but if it's a eunice worm... I have no idea where to even start other than to take out rock and do hypersalinity which causes good bacteria die off too :/.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sry if I missed it but how big is the tank and do you have a pic?

This one is 75 gallons. I think all of this rock was wild live rock. Which I haven’t ever used. Once I can get this Red Sea reefer 350 running. I plan to do hyper salinity because I am curious at the very least what’s in that tank. Than all of those rocks are getting a acid bath.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it's not something bacterial? Predator damage I have seen usually manifests as large cuts or deep wounds/gouges. That looks like shallow (dermal) damage from what I can see in the pic. (Maybe i'm just not seeing the deeper wound)

Shame he didn't make it. Got the same fish and they're sharp little guys.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure it's not something bacterial? Predator damage I have seen usually manifests as large cuts or deep wounds/gouges. That looks like shallow (dermal) damage from what I can see in the pic. (Maybe i'm just not seeing the deeper wound)

Shame he didn't make it. Got the same fish and they're sharp little guys.

Anything is possible, once the fish are established they seem fine. It’s entirely possible this fish was on its way out and it got bit by something that thought it was dying or dead. I am not entirely sure, no real signs of any skin defects etc.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the same that would lead me to conclude you have something in the tank that is causing the mark. Also interesting you have only new fish dying.

Are They sleeping by the sand in the same area? If that's the case the old fish know there's a predator in that area and stay away.

OP
OP
Brogratz

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does seem to 1 or 2 areas. But one of the rocks is brand new. Unfortunately I think without doing hyper salinity. I likely will never know, but it would make sense that the newer fish are dying and older are fine. I mean each fish that has died, was definitely not healthy yet. They weren’t eating, and would be slightly easier to catch.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back