REVIEW - AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch - Auto water changes the ultimate tank upgrade

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

I did a video review of the AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch, today's video is the culmination on a series of upgrades that lead to this point. I am excited to finally have a full auto water change setup operating on my tank.

I went with the AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch because it was the perfect solution for my tank which is about 80 gallons.
  • It was simple to setup,
  • easy to program
  • and the pumps were plenty powerful enough for my use case.
  • I really like the safety feature of not allowing abnormally long run times which can protect against sensor failure etc...
  • I found the pumps to be compatible with 1/4" RO tubing, or you can use the 6mm silicon tube it comes with
  • Has an integrated ATO function with the 3rd included pump
The only downsides to it I have found so far are
  • you need to buy an addittional accessory to use 3rd party pumps if the included ones are not powerful enough for your application
  • the screen can be a bit bright so make sure you install it in your sump if its in a location where that would annoy you

It runs a ~1.5% waterchange on my system everyday and also handles auto-top off with RODI water too!

If you like my video, subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more content!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIe1erR3_5aJysM5qn6PNTw

dB8NouU.jpg

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the AWC Touch as well. I think the first downside can be a benefit. You can use pretty much any pump you want with it, rather than being limited to specific ones.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this unit have any kind of backup sensor? Most ATO setups use an optical sensor of some sort and employ a backup float switch in case of emergencies. Seems to me this would be a really easy, obvious and inexpensive addition for the manufacturer? Sensors fail, get blocked, microbubbles, algae etc can impact an optical sensor.
The timer-based emergency feature is nice but AFAIK, it only kicks in if the AWC is going on for two or three times usual. That means if the optical sensor fails, you are putting up to three times as much water back in your tank. Why not add a $10 back up float switch for triple redundancy? I know floats can fail as well, but triple redundancy means: AWC/ATO uses an optical sensor under normal use. If optical fails, the float kicks in as a back-up, if the float fails, you then have the third timer-based as a final backup. There's a reason NASA uses triple redundancy - it allows for an additional level of safety.
The other thing that I would love to see, is the ability to manually set the time for the timer-based safety backup. Rather than a nebulous "up to three times the duration of the first calibrated water change" let us manually set it. Let me set the system up, figure out that AWC takes me 1 minute. Then let me go in and manually set it to emergency stop after 1.5 minutes. Let me hard code it o that the water in pumps will never run for longer than a time I choose.
If they added those extra features, that would make this perfect. I'm probably going to get this anyways but I think I might add an extra emergency switch of some sort to completely power off the device if the level gets too high. Just in case.

OP
OP
ReefNerd

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this unit have any kind of backup sensor? Most ATO setups use an optical sensor of some sort and employ a backup float switch in case of emergencies. Seems to me this would be a really easy, obvious and inexpensive addition for the manufacturer? Sensors fail, get blocked, microbubbles, algae etc can impact an optical sensor.
The timer-based emergency feature is nice but AFAIK, it only kicks in if the AWC is going on for two or three times usual. That means if the optical sensor fails, you are putting up to three times as much water back in your tank. Why not add a $10 back up float switch for triple redundancy? I know floats can fail as well, but triple redundancy means: AWC/ATO uses an optical sensor under normal use. If optical fails, the float kicks in as a back-up, if the float fails, you then have the third timer-based as a final backup. There's a reason NASA uses triple redundancy - it allows for an additional level of safety.
The other thing that I would love to see, is the ability to manually set the time for the timer-based safety backup. Rather than a nebulous "up to three times the duration of the first calibrated water change" let us manually set it. Let me set the system up, figure out that AWC takes me 1 minute. Then let me go in and manually set it to emergency stop after 1.5 minutes. Let me hard code it o that the water in pumps will never run for longer than a time I choose.
If they added those extra features, that would make this perfect. I'm probably going to get this anyways but I think I might add an extra emergency switch of some sort to completely power off the device if the level gets too high. Just in case.

Extra sensors are unlikely to improve the product... extremely low chance they would catch anything useful, in practical use, the 3x normal cut-off operation is negligible for most tanks... few people do more than 1-2% auto water change per day, so your really talking low single digit percentages of tank volume.

The biggest threat with these units is siphons, so cutting the power to the pump in the case of triggering extra sensors will do nothing. To improve the saftey factor of this unit, what you need is a float valve! Set just above your normal sump waterline. That will catch all the likely failure modes, including siphon. Also if the pumps somehow get 'stuck on' and the auto cutoff fails, they are no where near powerful enough to overcome most float valves so youll be fine in that circumstance too.

The other way to improve this product would be to replace the pumps with peristaltic pumps, as by their nature, no siphon can ever occur.

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really trust the ATO. I added siphon breaks everywhere, but I feel that I’ll eventually come home to water everwhere.

Another downside I found is that the ATO feature turns off if it looses power. You have to tap the icon again once you get power back to turn ATO back on.

I ended up swapping to the Smart ATO product.

OP
OP
ReefNerd

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really trust the ATO. I added siphon breaks everywhere, but I feel that I’ll eventually come home to water everwhere.

Another downside I found is that the ATO feature turns off if it looses power. You have to tap the icon again once you get power back to turn ATO back on.

I ended up swapping to the Smart ATO product.

Pretty sure the ATO function turns off for like 30 minutes to an hour after a power-out but then turns back on again if it was on before the powerout, check the manual it explains it. I think the reasoning was to make sure your sump water level has stabalized again after a presumed power out were your return pump could have been off.

James Tucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe mine is not working correctly?

My power was off for a few hours, and then the following day, when the power had been back on for several hours, I had to turn it back on by tapping the icon.

I’ve had this same experience twice.

Maybe there is a limit on how long the power could be removed?

Either way, I can’t rely on it.

Starganderfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra sensors are unlikely to improve the product... extremely low chance they would catch anything useful, in practical use, the 3x normal cut-off operation is negligible for most tanks... few people do more than 1-2% auto water change per day, so your really talking low single digit percentages of tank volume.

The biggest threat with these units is siphons, so cutting the power to the pump in the case of triggering extra sensors will do nothing. To improve the saftey factor of this unit, what you need is a float valve! Set just above your normal sump waterline. That will catch all the likely failure modes, including siphon. Also if the pumps somehow get 'stuck on' and the auto cutoff fails, they are no where near powerful enough to overcome most float valves so youll be fine in that circumstance too.

The other way to improve this product would be to replace the pumps with peristaltic pumps, as by their nature, no siphon can ever occur.
Cool. So a float valve would do the same sort of thing I'm talking about, only instead of only cutting power to the device, it actually closes the ATO return line so the pump can't keep filling the tank?
That takes care of both the "optical sensor fails and pump keeps running" failure and the "pump switched off but a siphon occurs" failure? That's an even better solution than I was lookimng at.
I did find that AutoAqua make a couple of devices to cut power in the event of a device failure (like I was considering): the AutoAqua Smart Level Security, Smart Skimmer Security and Smart Temp Security, each of which cut power to the device in the event of a failure. The Smart Level has an optical sensor to detect an overflow, the Smart Temp has a temp sensor in case of heater "always on" failure and the Smart Skimmer is kind of clever - an optical sensor that fits on the outside of the Skimmer collection cup to stop the skimmer in the case of an overflowing collection cup.
Considering AutoAqua already make an overflow prevention device specifically designed for ATO and AWC systems, it's pretty crappy that they don't incorporate this into their ATO devices (though not all that surprising). Given float valves are relatively cheap and work as a physical blockage, that looks like a definite no0brainer to add to an ATO device. Thanks!!

OP
OP
ReefNerd

ReefNerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. So a float valve would do the same sort of thing I'm talking about, only instead of only cutting power to the device, it actually closes the ATO return line so the pump can't keep filling the tank?
That takes care of both the "optical sensor fails and pump keeps running" failure and the "pump switched off but a siphon occurs" failure? That's an even better solution than I was lookimng at.
I did find that AutoAqua make a couple of devices to cut power in the event of a device failure (like I was considering): the AutoAqua Smart Level Security, Smart Skimmer Security and Smart Temp Security, each of which cut power to the device in the event of a failure. The Smart Level has an optical sensor to detect an overflow, the Smart Temp has a temp sensor in case of heater "always on" failure and the Smart Skimmer is kind of clever - an optical sensor that fits on the outside of the Skimmer collection cup to stop the skimmer in the case of an overflowing collection cup.
Considering AutoAqua already make an overflow prevention device specifically designed for ATO and AWC systems, it's pretty crappy that they don't incorporate this into their ATO devices (though not all that surprising). Given float valves are relatively cheap and work as a physical blockage, that looks like a definite no0brainer to add to an ATO device. Thanks!!

Not quite, a float valve wont cut the power to the pump... will just block the line so it cant keep filling your tank. The controller should cut the power to the pump after 3x run time security kicks in... or if that fails for some random reason (bug in the controller? or electrical fault?) the pump will keep running however they are pretty weak so it will just be spinning wheels essentially and will not do anything or overcome the float valve.

Their overflow prevention device you are refering to are designed for when your doing some kind of DIY ATO or something else DIY... can be used to shutdown anything really... they duplicate the functionality thats already built into their regular ATO's / AWC's... but could be used as another redundancy for your AWC/ATO if you really want to... however remember its only going to catch a failed sensor or bug in the controller... and wont do anything in the case of a siphon.

The reason (I am guessing) that they dont incorporate a float valve into their ATO's is because many sumps already have them as standard (i know red sea, cade and neptunian cube do, i think waterbox does as well) and there is often bespoke mounting methods required from tank to tank.

Also in their product line-up for ATO's specifically they do have a good/better/best lineup... there the top models do have extra redundant sensors. Its just a matter of 'spend more get more'.

Aaronhome27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the smart awc touch as well on my frag tank. It's not really practical on my larger display really. Bit it works as it says it's supposed to. I've been using the smart ato on my larger DT. I had though it needed a physical back up as well. Things do fail, but I'm not really to concerned about the photo eyes. If they fail the smart systems alarm. They are very sensative too. I have several bulky ato with dual floats here. I always swore by them. I was given a smart ato, so I tried it. In the end I feel very comfortable after using it for a year now. It has alarmed due to something in the tank. You are at the mercy of the controller though. If it fails in theory it could cause issues, but I don't know how it's programmed. It very well could also have safety built into it too. But if a photo eye fails you will get an alarm. Also have the Xx overfill alarm as a safety. That basically leaves any other failures to your install. If you install correctly you shouldn't have and siphon issues. Siphon issues would be the same between this or any other ato made. Mount pumps, tubing, return, and siphon breaks properly and you shouldn't have any issues with that.

Critical1984

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All

I did a video review of the AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch, today's video is the culmination on a series of upgrades that lead to this point. I am excited to finally have a full auto water change setup operating on my tank.

I went with the AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch because it was the perfect solution for my tank which is about 80 gallons.
  • It was simple to setup,
  • easy to program
  • and the pumps were plenty powerful enough for my use case.
  • I really like the safety feature of not allowing abnormally long run times which can protect against sensor failure etc...
  • I found the pumps to be compatible with 1/4" RO tubing, or you can use the 6mm silicon tube it comes with
  • Has an integrated ATO function with the 3rd included pump
The only downsides to it I have found so far are
  • you need to buy an addittional accessory to use 3rd party pumps if the included ones are not powerful enough for your application
  • the screen can be a bit bright so make sure you install it in your sump if its in a location where that would annoy you

It runs a ~1.5% waterchange on my system everyday and also handles auto-top off with RODI water too!

If you like my video, subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more content!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIe1erR3_5aJysM5qn6PNTw

dB8NouU.jpg

Hi there, how did you get the RO pipe to connect to the pump? The silicone piping that comes with its slightly bugger in diameter to ro piping? Thanks in advance

aquasculptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I see this review is from April 05, 2019. It is now Dec 2023. What comments do you have on the "AutoAqua Smart AWC Touch”.

Many thanks for your input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back