Review of Denver Stores

Freddie40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the last few weeks I have been to these 6 stores, so I wanted to share my experiences so that others may learn. I hope you find it useful. I will go in order from Best to worst, and ratings will be based upon the store that I feel is the best.

1) Aquatic Art: Cris and Nicole run the best shop in Denver. Clean, Friendly, Great selection of Healthy corals and great prices. Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness ***** The store and tanks are always clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: ***** Cris is one of the most Knowledgable reefers in Denver and if his staff doesn't know the answers they ask him.

c) Health of Corals ***** It is rare that you will see a sick fish or coral.

d) Selection and Prices ***** They have the best selection and Prices in Denver.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crab Prices 9/$10. I will compare prices of these between the stores as they reflect the general overall prices.

2) Neptunes: Sharon has been at this location for many many years and has a nice shop. Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks are mostly clean, but when I was there there were a few saltwater tanks that had very dirty glass.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: **** They are busy so they aren't as attentive as I would like.

c) Health of Corals **** They don't have a lot of fish or corals, but what they have are in good shape.

d) Selection and Prices *** Minimal selection of corals and fish, but have a very nice selection of inverts.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crab Prices 6/$10. 50% more expensive than AquaticArt.

3) AquaMart: Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks are mostly clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: *** They are reasonably friendly and ask if I need help, but not much else.

c) Health of Corals **** The corals seem reasonably healthy.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a decent selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Assorted Hermit Crabs $3 each. I found this to be reflective of the store Not the best organized and very Expensive.

4) EliteReef: Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness **** The store and tanks are mostly clean.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * When I walked in they said hi, but did not offer any help after that. Horrible service.

c) Health of Corals **** The corals seem reasonably healthy.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a limited selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs 10/$15. 50% more expensive than AquaticArt.

5) Murrman's Reef Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness * The Tanks looked as if the glass hadn't been cleaned in weeks. To me this is a reflection of how well the tanks are cared for.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * When I walked in they said hi and asked if I was looking for anything. I said I was looking for Hermit Crabs and Turbo snails. One of the people d disappeared to go look for snails. 5 minutes later he showed up but had forgotten what he was doing. When he was asked he gave me a blank looked and said they didn't have any. Poor Service.

c) Health of Corals *** The corals seem reasonably healthy, but the tanks were so dirty that it was hard to tell. I didn't like the lighting either as it was hard to see how the corals were doing. I would not buy anything from this store.

d) Selection and Prices * I found that they have a limited selection but are about 40% more expensive than AquaticArt.

e) Blue Legged Hermit Crabs Not sure.

6) Todd's Tropical Fish: Here is how I rate them.

a) Cleanliness ** The tanks are always on the dirty side.

b) Friendliness and Knowledge: * Sam is a very nice guy, but doesn't really seem interested in running a shop or helping people. At least with the salt water fish.

c) Health of Corals * I wouldn't take one if they were given to me.

d) Selection and Prices * Very poor. As far as dry goods they are at least double the price as what you would pay on Amazon. If you are serious about Salt Water avoid this place.

These are my observations and I feel they truly reflect my experiences. If you are serious about Salt Water Fish and Corals go to Aquatic Art and skip the res.

alindell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah aquatic art is probably the best coral shop in town. Technically they aren't in Denver. It's highlands ranch in Douglas county outside of Denver county and metropolitan area. Other shops can vary depending on what they get in and what not, but I have also been to about every coral reef shop from Colorado springs to fort collins and Chris just has a phenomenal store. Prices are pretty fair for the most part. You might find a shop or two that has a better deal or has something for cheaper but generally speaking alot of the other shops are not nearly as nice nor are they as knowledgeable, caring and offer as high quality pieces as Chris does. Other shops are usually more expensive and have less selection. I will say Chris does not have as much fish selection and they know this as they say they are more of a coral store.

I will also say Chris at reef koi has the best coral store in the springs. There is another store off academy that I'm saving on the name and whike the store has a larger fish selection they do not have much of a coral selection and the lady/owner that works there is knowledgeable but has the absolutely worst customer service skills I have seen. It's just an awful experience. The guy/owner that works there is more reasonable and I don't mind talking to him while the woman is very crabby, kareny, and snappy. It's almost like she hates being there and would rather just shut everything down.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back