Revised stocking list for 110 gallon. I need HELP!

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been up for about 3 months. I already added a pair of clownfish to my 110 gallon tank. This is what I want my stock list to be :
2 clowns
Royal gramma
Firefish goby
Six line wrasse
Kole or tomini tang
Longnose hawkfish
Yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp
Lawnmower blenny
Orchid dottyback

After doing all kind of research and reaching out to several saltwater groups, i have veen told that an orchid dottyback, a longnose hawkfish, and a six line wrasse is a no go. I was going to replace the six line wrasse in the yellow corris wrasse.. I am so lost and don't know what other fish I could add. Also, as fat as tangs go, I would like a smaller one. So that's why I put kole or tomini. Also, it is going to be a reef tank and I do have a clean up crew so keep that in mind. Any help would be appreciated.

Any ideas in what order I should add these ?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with tangs it is volume but also territory and flow. Are there channels they can cruise and places to hide.

I for one would put two unrelated bristle-tooth tang in a 110 (i have 3 in a 90 lagoon )
also 6 line wrasses are crap shoots, and would go coris/leopard/melanurus - all small
Good luck

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with tangs it is volume but also territory and flow. Are there channels they can cruise and places to hide.

I for one would put two unrelated bristle-tooth tang in a 110 (i have 3 in a 90 lagoon )
also 6 line wrasses are crap shoots, and would go coris/leopard/melanurus - all small
Good luck
Yeah there's room to cruise and hide for a smaller tang such as kole or bristletooth and yeah I am definitely switching the six line for a yellow coris wrasse. I just dont know what to replace the hawkfish and the dottyback with. I've been researching for a long time and no luck.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a small longnose hawkfish to my 110, I really like it and no aggression to speak of but if you're worried I'd consider something like a good sized and pretty blenny. Midas are the coolest in my opinion, might have to replace the lawnmower blenny but I think they're awesome and fun fish and have a somewhat similar lifestyle to a hawkfish.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a small longnose hawkfish to my 110, I really like it and no aggression to speak of but if you're worried I'd consider something like a good sized and pretty blenny. Midas are the coolest in my opinion, might have to replace the lawnmower blenny but I think they're awesome and fun fish and have a somewhat similar lifestyle to a hawkfish.
Thank you, I'll check it out. I was thinking adding a clown GOBY as well.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there's room to cruise and hide for a smaller tang such as kole or bristletooth and yeah I am definitely switching the six line for a yellow coris wrasse. I just dont know what to replace the hawkfish and the dottyback with. I've been researching for a long time and no luck.
I have a CB Splendid dotty that is pugnacious but not a problem. Have heard CB orchids are not so bad but do not have personal experience. Not too sure where the veto on the long nose came from - if it is small enough
I have a Royal Gramma and a black capped basslet in hte same tank. Took a week posturing and was fine after that. - again with plenty of hidey holes
a pair of Neon yellow stripped gobies - again CB are options

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a CB Splendid dotty that is pugnacious but not a problem. Have heard CB orchids are not so bad but do not have personal experience. Not too sure where the veto on the long nose came from - if it is small enough
I have a Royal Gramma and a black capped basslet in hte same tank. Took a week posturing and was fine after that. - again with plenty of hidey holes
a pair of Neon yellow stripped gobies - again CB are options
Thank you

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 clown gobys in a big tank with lots of staghorn. - awesome!
I dont have any corals yet. I want my ugly stage to be done first. Would that be a problem for the clown goby? I really like the way they look and they are peaceful

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any corals yet. I want my ugly stage to be done first. Would that be a problem for the clown goby? I really like the way they look and they are peaceful
yes, need to wait for the staghorn, and no, do not need to wait, have another clown in a 15 WB and no SPS

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a lot of rocks and hiding place, your tank is big enough for most of the fish you wished for. They are not very big fish.
I do not know why the sixline wrasse has such a bad reputation. Neither of the 2, I had before, not the one I have now have ever been a problem. It is mostly swimming in and out of rocks looking for worms and pods. My first one jumped out, the second I killed by mistake, when I removed a rock to scrubbed out the algae. It was in the rock and I did not see it. After scrubbing the rock with running cold tap water, I found my fish, dead in the sink. The third one is doing well. I never had a orchid dottyback, but I have read they can be aggressive too.
The main thing is, add your fish slowly, 2 or 3 at a time no more. And start with the less aggressive, such as the firefish, and end with the most aggressive, maybe the tang.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Longnose Hawkfish, yellow coris wrasse, orchid dottyback, royal gramma. All are peaceful unless you have bad luck. I would definatly do a tang or 2 for algae control, you could also consider a dwarf angel like a coral beauty or flame angelfish. None of the fish on your list are notably agressive aside from the 6 line and tangs should be added last. A melanarus wrasse could replace the 6 line if you were concerned about agression.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I will never do non qt fish. TSM aquatics and a couple other online have pre qt fish. I would at least put new buys from any lfs in a "qt" tank for a couple weeks to see if they break out in white spots before adding to the display.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Longnose Hawkfish, yellow coris wrasse, orchid dottyback, royal gramma. All are peaceful unless you have bad luck. I would definatly do a tang or 2 for algae control, you could also consider a dwarf angel like a coral beauty or flame angelfish. None of the fish on your list are notably agressive aside from the 6 line and tangs should be added last. A melanarus wrasse could replace the 6 line if you were concerned about agression.
Dis you add the royal gramma and the orchid dottyback together ? And I'll have to check out the wrasse

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I will never do non qt fish. TSM aquatics and a couple other online have pre qt fish. I would at least put new buys from any lfs in a "qt" tank for a couple weeks to see if they break out in white spots before adding to the display.
Hope you do have a simple QT set up - you seem like a caring soul and nothing worse than velvet

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dis you add the royal gramma and the orchid dottyback together ? And I'll have to check out the wrasse
I have a splendid DB and a gramma and a black capped in a 180 - with the right shelter and adding the RG first you should be able to do 2 of the 3

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you do have a simple QT set up - you seem like a caring soul and nothing worse than velvet
No velvet thankfully. I upgraded from a 75g to a 180g about a year ago. My first 3 new fish I bought from my local LFSs died in qt - white spots not ammonia poisoning or something of my doing. I ordered 9 fish from TSM after that and they came in healthy and eating immediately. Thankfully I didnt lose any fish from my display.

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the dottyback 2nd. My royal gramma was much bigger than the dottyback when added him. He paid no attention to him or anybody else really. Neither are netoriously agressive and should be fine in a big tank.

OP
OP
Reefgirl0412

Reefgirl0412

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah im going to get one before adding anything else. My lfs treats all of the fish when they arrive. But yes I do care and am purchasing one soon

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back