Revisiting the concept of a "Cleanup Crew"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's enough size disparity (and the hermit isn't starving) then you can probably keep some smaller snails with him. Try to find the smallest Cerith snails you can - sometimes you'll find them as small as 1/4"-1/2", which would be perfect. (Hermits at this size are great too....sadly they all grow into omnivorous monsters...LOL.) Empty shells don't seem to be very attractive, but regardless do make sure to have a couple empty "upgrade" shells in the tank for him to use as he grows.

-Matt

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info Scott! Well done!

stunkenwagon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20140615_172438_000.jpg

My urchin by far the best cleaner and if you can see my brittlestar's legs that comes out of the rocks he's over 3ft long and can't get him out of the rock! I have suspicions he's killed my watchman goby :-( any ideas how to kill get rid of him?

MrsDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I've had my 2ft cube (55gal) for about 4 months now and still have not bought any CUC. Really glad I had a read of this first. It's making me rethink my choices. I currently have a few starfish and a snail that came from my live rock. Been too unsure (scared) to get anything else until I understand more about my system. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's very helpful for newbies like me. :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good instinct! Keep listening to your gut and read, read, read! :)

-Matt

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I've had my 2ft cube (55gal) for about 4 months now and still have not bought any CUC. Really glad I had a read of this first. It's making me rethink my choices. I currently have a few starfish and a snail that came from my live rock. Been too unsure (scared) to get anything else until I understand more about my system. Thanks for taking the time to write this. It's very helpful for newbies like me. :)

Glad to have helped! There are some great insights from readers here. Most important is to not take everything you read as the last word on the subject...Just read ask questions, and use your gut!

-Scott

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scott, thanks for offering your perspective on thistopic. I remember when I got into thishobby a few years ago I was a little shocked to hear how many snails and crabs peoplewere recommending for my 29 gallon BioCube. When I upgraded to my 120 I had to execute some "mentaltoughness" about the type and how many CUC members I thought wasappropriate. Even then, I'm sure I addedtoo many Astrea's at one time and probably could have drawn out the process ofadding over a few weeks perhaps. Butthen again, I was probably caught up in chase for the "instant reef",after all successful systems have X number of snails, so I should too -right? Yep, mental toughness is a goodthing :)

*Sorry about the delayed reply

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read and I agree with what you're saying. I've always cringed at the CUC packages retailers sell that have 50 turbos, 100 red leg hermits, 4 Sand Sifter stars etc etc.

My current clean-up-crew for my 60 gallon SPS tank with notes:
8 Astrea Snails
2 Banded Trochus Snails
1 Turbo Snail
2 x Tiger Conchs *IMO an awesome member of the CUC both helping to aerate the sand bed and take care of detritus on the bottom
1 Emerald Crab- On duty for stray bubble algae that pops up *I've not had issues with mine ever eating corals, though others experience may differ. When they get above an inch-inch and a half in diameter they're traded in for a baby one.
2 x Nassarius Snails, the larger Tonga variety
1 Scarlet Reef Hermit
1 Electric Halloween hermit
2x Blue leg hermits

A couple that I plan to add soon:
Small Blue Tuxedo Urchin
Purple or Orange Serpent Starfish *these guys are awesome for eating left over food the fish miss and are harmless otherwise

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Hermit the Horrible along with his merry band of marauders. Of course a 10g sump can't support 6 hermit crabs so I toss shrimp and spectra pellets every other day to discourage cannibalism. It was great when I set up my new tank just to survey the sump and decide who was right for the job. No creature is expendable, not even the bad actors!

OP
OP
uniquecorals

uniquecorals

UniqueCorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny...I mean- there is nothing inherently wrong with vendors selling "crews" in order to give consumers more "bang for the buck"; however, I feel that the numbers being offered by many of us are simply too much for most aquariums, and perpetuate the horrible attitude that these are expendable animals. My attitude is, and always will be, for the reefer to stock his/her system with just a few of each animal...You can ALWAYS add more if the current "team" is not getting the job done.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of a sudden, I do not feel so bad about my Mexican Turbo mortality rate. I added too many, too fast, too early in the initial cycle, but they were doomed anyway. LOL

shornik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good read and I agree with what you're saying. I've always cringed at the CUC packages retailers sell that have 50 turbos, 100 red leg hermits, 4 Sand Sifter stars etc etc.

2 x Tiger Conchs *IMO an awesome member of the CUC both helping to aerate the sand bed and take care of detritus on the bottom

+1 for the Tiger Conch, I have one in my 60G and that's all it does, eat detritus and aerate. Plus its fun to watch moving around the tank, and those darn pesky hermits I bought as part of my CUC can't kill it for their shells :rockon:

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+3 on the fighting conch! I have maintained 3 in my 100G tank for many months. They are very entertaining as they skip around like rabbits. They have a weird snorkel tube mouth and they have their little beedy eyes on the end of eyestalks. Sometimes they bury themselves in the sand and all you can see is that snorkel mouth eating away at what I ASSSSUME is detritus....

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you keep them as full-fledged pets, that's one thing, but all conchs I've read about get at least as big as turbo snails.

As only part of a clean up crew, I doubt many tanks could support one with enough food through adulthood.

To help assure long-term survival, go SMALLER, not bigger when selecting your CUC species.

-Matt

Up2no6ood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny...I mean- there is nothing inherently wrong with vendors selling "crews" in order to give consumers more "bang for the buck"; however, I feel that the numbers being offered by many of us are simply too much for most aquariums, and perpetuate the horrible attitude that these are expendable animals. My attitude is, and always will be, for the reefer to stock his/her system with just a few of each animal...You can ALWAYS add more if the current "team" is not getting the job done.

Totally agree! I say go with the smallest package available and let them reproduce on their own.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering. I need something that will clean up detritus in between very tight spots where coral mats are blocking flow. What is a good candidate?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was wondering. I need something that will clean up detritus in between very tight spots where coral mats are blocking flow. What is a good candidate?

I'd go with good strong water flow and/or wave action vs a critter. If you must have critters, pick ceriths and a few hermits as tiny as possible - no bigger than 1/2", preferably closer to 1/4". Sometimes those sizes are hard to find, but I would not pick any larger than that.

-Matt

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have been trying to get the flow right so it gets to this area without disturbing the coral growing there too much but with a fully stocked reef everything I seem to do ticks something off.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back