Reviving. I have aqua uv 25w. Should i upgrade

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new aqua uv 25w classic installed on my waterbox 130.4 the tank is cycling so I'm not even using it yet. Ita plumbed but bulb isnt installed yet. I'm debating on using it or buying a 57w transformer and 57w bulb and installing that in the sterilizer body as its identical. Would.this be a good idea and worth it I have a varios 2 on 1 inch PVC plumbing it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a brand new aqua uv 25w classic installed on my waterbox 130.4 the tank is cycling so I'm not even using it yet. Ita plumbed but bulb isnt installed yet. I'm debating on using it or buying a 57w transformer and 57w bulb and installing that in the sterilizer body as its identical. Would.this be a good idea and worth it I have a varios 2 on 1 inch PVC plumbing it.
I’m not sure what you are using it for, but I think the 25 watt is plenty. Your tank is about 50 gallons right?

GThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it would depend on what you plan on keeping in the tank. I have a 25watt for my 125 g but I’m keeping corals and I don’t need to kill everything that lives in the water as far as micro algae and the like

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure what you are using it for, but I think the 25 watt is plenty. Your tank is about 50 gallons right?
Its 130gallon after sand and rock it's more like 100-110g actual water
I believe it would depend on what you plan on keeping in the tank. I have a 25watt for my 125 g but I’m keeping corals and I don’t need to kill everything that lives in the water as far as micro algae and the like
I plan on having reef. Sps - acros

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 130gallon after sand and rock it's more like 100-110g actual water

I plan on having reef. Sps - acros
I use the 57 watt version as a dino annhilator on my 180 gallon tank. If you are looking to reduce algae or increase visibility, then the 25 watt version would be ok. If you are looking to reduce parasites or control dinos, the 57 watt is probably better. I didn’t realize the 130 was gallons, I thought it was code for liters.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the 57 watt version as a dino annhilator on my 180 gallon tank. If you are looking to reduce algae or increase visibility, then the 25 watt version would be ok. If you are looking to reduce parasites or control dinos, the 57 watt is probably better. I didn’t realize the 130 was gallons, I thought it was code for liters.
How will the 57w effect my temp. Will it be much of a difference with the 25w? I have the varios 2 pump. So I'll be guessing the gph flow through it. It's on 1 inch PVC. Not much head height. Maybe up a foot and a half and over it splits to 2 aquamaxx filters but mainly will be using one for carbon. Other is extra in case I need. But all on gate valves.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing, I looked at that 57w set up that is in the 25w tube... I’m not buying into it. It’s still the same narrow tube and the contact time with the volume of water is about the same. Just more intense... nah..

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny thing, I looked at that 57w set up that is in the 25w tube... I’m not buying into it. It’s still the same narrow tube and the contact time with the volume of water is about the same. Just more intense... nah..

Its identical to the aqua uv 57w uv sterilizer. Same exact body. As the 57w so basically I could have bought the 57w initially. Basically.same price after all this. But oh well. I'll feel better I guess.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I guess technically I'd be able to put a little more water through it since it's more intense. I guess in theory. I dunno.

Now I have a 25w transformer and 57w. So I can always go back down

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 57w bulb and transformer to convert the new 25w to 57w. And got an extra quartz sleeve to use to replace during cleaning rotation...

How did the 57w AquaUV work out for you on your system? Any issues with this model? I have a dino issue that I want to use a UV sterilizer to help eradicate. I have the opportunity to buy a used Aqua 57w from someone closeby...I was initially looking at a 25w Aqua vs Pentair sterilizers when this opportunity presented itself. I have a 75g...total about 100g system.

OP
OP
Michael Gray

Michael Gray

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the 57w AquaUV work out for you on your system? Any issues with this model? I have a dino issue that I want to use a UV sterilizer to help eradicate. I have the opportunity to buy a used Aqua 57w from someone closeby...I was initially looking at a 25w Aqua vs Pentair sterilizers when this opportunity presented itself. I have a 75g...total about 100g system.
I have it running. Same size same as the 25. But i upgrated stuff. Id say get it. it wont hurt. Like me, you will regret buying a 25 if you have the ability to buy the larger one. go for it so that in itself doesnt happen.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it running. Same size same as the 25. But i upgrated stuff. Id say get it. it wont hurt. Like me, you will regret buying a 25 if you have the ability to buy the larger one. go for it so that in itself doesnt happen.
Thanks! Kind of hard to pass it up. I can get the 57w for $150 from this guy.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back