Rex’s 7 Gallon Nano Build

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate it! I’m not very sure why the labeled it as only freshwater. My guess would be that the stock lighting and other equipment that came with the tank is designed for freshwater tanks.
Correct. :)

And from personal experience, never try to run a freshwater tank using marine lighting! ;Facepalm :D

Solid build so far!

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing a mixed reef but primarily acros. Also going to have a small CUC, along with some other interesting inverts. As of now for fish I’m looking at getting a Picasso Clownfish.

This will be fun! I had a small 9 gallon rimless nano for a long while. I tried the A80 and it wasn’t enough to keep across for me. I ended up adding two T5 bulbs to make it work and I had much more success. You might consider the Kessil 360 if you want to grow sticks.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on doing a mixed reef but primarily acros. Also going to have a small CUC, along with some other interesting inverts. As of now for fish I’m looking at getting a Picasso Clownfish.
If you're looking for a couple acros, I know a guy just to the south of you ;)

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the best on your new build.

You are off to a good start with the Sicce Pump (reliable with a great Warranty) and even better with the Kessil Tuna Blue light (Great Colors and Pop from this Light).
I have both and no regrets.

Will be interesting to see how a smaller tank runs compare to something larger like you had before.
Could be easier, but at same time will provide unique challenges.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the photo of your equipment... are these for some new type of filtration system? o_O
upload_2018-9-17_11-52-49.png

Off to a great start!!! Looking forward to a review of the powerhead after you have it running!
I'm very interested in this, too! I haven't seen one in the wild yet. Would love to see your opinion on them!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the photo of your equipment... are these for some new type of filtration system? o_O
upload_2018-9-17_11-52-49.png

I'm very interested in this, too! I haven't seen one in the wild yet. Would love to see your opinion on them!
It's a step by step process ;)
tenor.gif

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be fun! I had a small 9 gallon rimless nano for a long while. I tried the A80 and it wasn’t enough to keep across for me. I ended up adding two T5 bulbs to make it work and I had much more success. You might consider the Kessil 360 if you want to grow sticks.
So far the a80 looks fairly intense, so I’ll try it out and if it ends up not working I’ll get something else.

All the best on your new build.

You are off to a good start with the Sicce Pump (reliable with a great Warranty) and even better with the Kessil Tuna Blue light (Great Colors and Pop from this Light).
I have both and no regrets.

Will be interesting to see how a smaller tank runs compare to something larger like you had before.
Could be easier, but at same time will provide unique challenges.
I’m hoping it’s some what of a challenge!
Nicely planned out nano. Might I suggest a yellow clown goby.....nice little fish with personality.
Was actually looking at getting one of these! I like them quite a bit

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool :) I'm curious, how/why did you decide upon 10 gallon tank size? My daughter is kicking around the idea of a small salt tank. It would be a big step out of her "freshwater" comfort zone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool :) I'm curious, how/why did you decide upon 10 gallon tank size? My daughter is kicking around the idea of a small salt tank. It would be a big step our of her "freshwater" comfort zone.
I wanted to try something new! I’ve never had a tank below 10 gallons, so I thought it’d be fun to try out! Also I wanted to set something up in my room and didn’t have room from anything over 10 gallons. On the bright side I won’t have to spend as much on equipment.

jdpeters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was building the equipment list, I wanted a very compact powerhead since I’m working with such a small tank. Originally I was going to go with a MP10, but as soon as I found the CoralBox RN-1 I knew I wanted to try it out.

So it’s very similar to an MP10 but there’s about a $115 price difference. It comes with a controller which you can use to change the modes, speed, frequency and feed modes. You can also set channels which allow you to run different modes and speeds throughout the day. The footprint of the RN-1 is very small, I think it has the same length of an MP10 just a larger diameter. As far as noise goes I haven’t had much time to play around with it yet, but from what I can tell it’s fairly quite on speed 2 and pulse mode (which is what I’ll most likely be running when everything’s set up).

I would really suggest this pump to anyone setting up a small tank, or really any tank that’s looking for a cheaper alternative to a MP10. Here’s a few pictures so you can visualize the size of it.
09AEA050-68B3-4444-8D67-06F3582F26AA.jpeg

C80B17AD-E277-4371-8ACC-B0D573B0AEAF.jpeg

B7D11C43-9B08-4CB4-B4A9-B1242F45AFCD.jpeg
The price point on that is very exciting

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this nano set up, I’m looking at getting the JBJ 10 gal. Lol it’s in my amazon cart just waiting for me to push the “buy” button :D. Will be following.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to seeing this nano set up, I’m looking at getting the JBJ 10 gal. Lol it’s in my amazon cart just waiting for me to push the “buy” button :D. Will be following.

96ddd4c0be5fd015e6f641517f641903.gif

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup you have going on!

I’m interested in your review of the power head........and seeing it get wet!

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same powerhead on my nano 34g build and it's really impressive. I have it alongside an MP10 and it's a superior powerhead over the mp10 by far, however people should be aware that the flow is so broad if you were to get one and expect to have it push a long distance it will not - for most reefers this is exactly what they are looking for, but some might be disappointed to not move water across a 4ft tank like powerheads with jet-like outputs. It is larger than the wetside of an MP10, I would more put it as a replacement for mp40s even though it's right between the 10 and 40 max flow wise.

Can’t wait to see the tank come together!

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same powerhead on my nano 34g build and it's really impressive. I have it alongside an MP10 and it's a superior powerhead over the mp10 by far, however people should be aware that the flow is so broad if you were to get one and expect to have it push a long distance it will not - for most reefers this is exactly what they are looking for, but some might be disappointed to not move water across a 4ft tank like powerheads with jet-like outputs. It is larger than the wetside of an MP10, I would more put it as a replacement for mp40s even though it's right between the 10 and 40 max flow wise.

Can’t wait to see the tank come together!
Yeah it’s a really great pump for it’s price point! I actually just got it set up, working great so far! What mode do you run yours on?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it’s a really great pump for it’s price point! I actually just got it set up, working great so far! What mode do you run yours on?

I run the mp10, a DC tunze (forget the model) and this all long a long pulse setting so it makes all sorts of various currents. What I like about this and the tunze is they actually stop between pulses. The mp10 just slows so you can't get that great random movement with them alone.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a good build so far. If you have experience you won't have trouble with a smaller tank. It's the new people who have trouble with nano tanks, the experienced people just have a small kalk drip and do weekly water changes religiously. That's all you need and you'll be fine.

As for a small powerful pump... If you want a wide varied flow, consider the Tunze 6040. it's silent, more powerful than you will ever need, small, discreet, and has a wide gyre type flow pattern. You can do much, much worse for flow than this pump. I recently added one to the pair of 6095's in my tank, and you'd be surprised to know it pushes a LOT of water even in a 50 cube.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back