redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BLEACHED ROCK COMPLETE

Rock came out of bleach today. I was surprised at the amount of rock that wasn't white....apparent mineral deposits.

Bleached Rock 1.jpg

Bleached Rock 2.jpg

I'll let the rock air dry a couple days and then give it a couple rinses. I've found that air drying blows off the chlorine faster than trying to rinse it out.

TANK READY FOR PAINT

Tank was flipped upright and brought outside in anticipation of painting. That will happen tomorrow. Had to work with my able bodied neighbor's availability to help carry the tank. Suppose to get rain tonight, so I'll cover it and then tape it off tomorrow. They are saying mid to high 60's tomorrow. Here it is and with the tank upright and you can get a better picture of the return lines, and that blue acrylic support, and see how the plumbing transverses the euro-bracing.

Return Line and Brace.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Kevin, it's the rock cure that's going to take the time.....I'm figuring another 1 - 2 months. At this point I plan to do a good part of that cure in the new tank....all set up. I'll get the first couple water changes done in the Stock Tank since these first few are the one that tend to be real stinky.

Reef_Pilot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm now going to get on the soapbox and pontificate about silicone and plastics.....I think in part because I'm aggitated from wasting half a day. I've bitten my lip in a number of posts when someone comments that 100% silicone does not stick to plastics...."Don't use acrylic baffles in a glass tank sump, it won't work." So I take this opportunity now to tell you that that statement is poppycock. These folks have never used a special 100% silicone that is specifically formulated to work with plastics. This stuff sticks like grim death.....I think better than GE Silicone I to glass on glass. Maybe the problem with them not having knowledge is that this silicone isn't found in the Paint Department (in HD), like all other silicones and caulks. This special stuff is found in the department that sells acrylic sheets. If you want or need to silicone plastics to whatever....glass or other plastics....buy this stuff....oh, and it's reef safe when cured:
Silicone Plastic.jpg

I respectfully step down off the soapbox. I'm pouring myself a Scotch! :cool:

So I am getting ready to build a sump, and will be using acrylic baffles to keep light confined to the refugium. when I read the description on the Home Depot website is says "Perfect for use in marine applications above the water line", which concerns me a bit. Have you used this on a build before? Thx

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-10-oz-Silicone-Cartridge-GE-55/202038071

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes....and they say similar warnings on GE Silicone I....I think actually saying not for aquariums. I haven't noticed any changes with submerged silicone using this stuff. Just let it cure for as long as you can....I like a week.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting The Back and Left Side of Tank

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather today and taped and papered the tank, getting it ready for paint.

Tank Taped and Papered.jpg

I used the best paint 98 cents could buy and put about 7 coats of paint on the back and left side (a total of 3 cans). This 98 cent spray paint from HD is actually made by a name brand company and is some good stuff. I used it on the original tank and still looks great after ten years. I buy it by the case. Here we are, all painted up.

Back of Tank Painted 1.jpg

Back of Tank Painted 2.jpg

Now the one thing I'm not crazy about is that the strip of glass not covered by the plastic frame is easily visible from the front of the tank. The overflow will cover most of this, but a portion to the left and right will be visible. Have to wait and see what I get. Worst case, I can cover it from the inside with black acrylic.

Front of Tank Painted.jpg

mmw64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Painting The Back and Left Side of Tank

I took advantage of the unseasonably warm weather today and taped and papered the tank, getting it ready for paint.

Tank Taped and Papered.jpg

I used the best paint 98 cents could buy and put about 7 coats of paint on the back and left side (a total of 3 cans). This 98 cent spray paint from HD is actually made by a name brand company and is some good stuff. I used it on the original tank and still looks great after ten years. I buy it by the case. Here we are, all painted up.

Back of Tank Painted 1.jpg

Back of Tank Painted 2.jpg

Now the one thing I'm not crazy about is that the strip of glass not covered by the plastic frame is easily visible from the front of the tank. The overflow will cover most of this, but a portion to the left and right will be visible. Have to wait and see what I get. Worst case, I can cover it from the inside with black acrylic.

Front of Tank Painted.jpg
Love this build!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @mmw64. It's going to be a pretty slow go for the next month or two while I wait for the rock to cure. In the mean time you can check out the first go around HERE.....it truly is deja vu all over again.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you doing for a stand?

I apologize that I didn't make it clear in the OP, but this build thread is simply the replacement of an existing five foot 90 gallon tank that is suffering from seam failure. It is currently being held together by a pipe clamp....that's working quite well....not a drop.

IMG_20171226_102841990.jpg

So the stand already exists and this is simply a redo of my original build....that's why I've titled it Deja vu All over Again.

You can see the original build and stand HERE.

And here is one of the more recent pictures of the tank and stand.

Full Image of Tank and Equipment Stand.jpg

And the reason it will now slow down is that I've decided to truly start fresh with new rock....that needs to be cured.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Third Rinse of Rock - Milky Water

This is my third fill of rinse water and the water still looks like I dumped a gallon of milk in the water. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to capture this in a picture, but I'm pretty sure it's quite clear. (I also didn't see the reflection of the high tension tower until after I looked at the picture.)

I don't like this.....I want clear water before starting the cure.

Third Rinse of Rock.jpg

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No....haven't gotten that far yet. This is simply filling it up with fresh water to rinse. I'm surprised I'm getting this, especially after three times. Could it be the chlorine leaching out of the rock? There still is an odor of chlorine. Time to dig out my sodium thiosulfate!

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it! I actually first put a submersible pump in the stock tank so that I could easily empty the tank....now buried under the rock. I've now flipped the short hose back into the tank, and I'm running it now. This is the pump I use to pump water off my pool cover and not comfortable running it overnight. I'll turn it off when I go to bed and turn it back on tomorrow.

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to throw anyone brand under the buss but is your old 90 a cheap brand the might have been why it started leaking?

Fair question, although I don't believe you can blame the tank maker.....more the idiot who used it when it shouldn't have been used in the first place.

Here's the history on the tank.....

This was purchased used from an elderly couple whose kids used it for hermit crabs. Kids were long gone from the house. It was obviously hand made in that the side panels were not flush with the front/back panels and the top edge wasn't level (even) between the sides and front and back panels. It was 1/2 inch glass with no frame or any kind of bracing on the top. No center/cross bracing as well. So with kids long gone, I'm guessing the tank was at least ten years old at that point, but most likely older.

So I brought it home, drilled it and set it up as a saltwater tank. My adult son actually predicted this failure. He said it wouldn't hold up....and he was right.

Now, I can't complain. I got ten + years out of it......and now it's an excuse to start over and rid my tank of the things I don't want....mostly softies and some weed like hard corals....like monti.....and hopefully aiptasia and bubble algae. I also wanted a rock-scape change. So it all works out.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back