rhodactis mushroom splitting??

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the ultra blue pic but is my mushroom splitting? It’s full of color, been new in the tank for about a week and I fed it only once since I got it. About a day or two later started looking like this. It’s placed super low on the tank for acclimating.
Thoughts?
B348A5DF-2F35-4971-9B3D-B0C1D895B896.jpeg

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry it may be bad news, but from experience wend they start doing this it ain’t good.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes splitting. Oddly I had 2 rhodactis in my main tank for a year. Never split. I moved into a newly cycled tank and both immediately split. I think the change in environment is the cause. IME, rhodactis aren’t invasive like other types of mushrooms are.

OP
OP
Just_Pete

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes splitting. Oddly I had 2 rhodactis in my main tank for a year. Never split. I moved into a newly cycled tank and both immediately split. I think the change in environment is the cause. IME, rhodactis aren’t invasive like other types of mushrooms are.
Thats great to hear. Thanks for the tip ;)

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic. Looks similar to mine being that it’s split from the mouth. At first, very concerning with all the guts falling out. Thanks again.
Yeah the mesenterial filaments will spill out a bit. One of the few times you’ll see them.

OP
OP
Just_Pete

Just_Pete

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely splitting! You’ll have two before you know it!
I really hope so. The last 24hrs, the shroom has shriveled in size. Still looks to be connected but also looks like it’s loosing its steam.

This shrinking... is it normal they get smaller and then puff back up once fully split?

Brad Waddell Wrath's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope so. The last 24hrs, the shroom has shriveled in size. Still looks to be connected but also looks like it’s loosing its steam.

This shrinking... is it normal they get smaller and then puff back up once fully split?
Yes, it's normal. Mine look nice and fat after about 3 or 4 days.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You couldn’t kill that kinda shroom if you tried.

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is older but comes up high in the search, looks like I have a splitting Rhodactis currently - will update here. It's been in this tank a month, noticed this a few days ago.

20230315_155636.jpg

Back