OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then i realized there was a problem unknown to me before partly because this is my first time building a controller board and owning a Ecotech MP series pumps. The dry side power cord does not disconnect, and my holes were 2", and the wet side on a MP10 is 2.5"! Short of making the hole bigger i decided to take it apart the same way you do an upgrade and feed the control wire through the grommet hole that way.

Notice the cord on the right, it does not disconnect.

8Ye7gQz.jpg

Flip it over, and unscrew the 3 screws on back, take off the back cover.

JzwKvDn.jpg

The front knob pull straight out and only goes in or out 1 way through the keyed slot.

3YJxP5g.jpg

Undo the connector carefully and feed it through the hole.

7D0i3RB.jpg

Reverse all the steps and seal the driver back up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let the cycle and equipment break in begin. Picked up some man made Reef rock at PK and shooting for the minimal look this time around with lots of swimming space. Had great success cycling the tank with Dr. Tim's last time so i'm using it again. Will be cycled in a week after it levels out. Programmed the Apex, setup powerheads and the control board and the Tunze ATO is so easy and accurate to use. Still getting all the chemistry to dial in numbers wise but so far everything is stable within the appropriate range. Tank is currently running at 1.025 using Fritz RPM and i'm loving this salt. No residue and super easy to mix.

21081569_1626119150765930_1729525217_o.jpg

21122910_1626119140765931_211914468_o.jpg

21081364_1626122604098918_1645556056_o.jpg

21082184_1626119157432596_1321032918_o.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great build! I'm a week behind you (getting mine hopefully next week delivered). Which NYOS skimmer did you end up getting?

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Nyos 120, the chamber is pretty big in this sump for the Reefer 170. I'm thinking even a 160 would fit but not going to change that now.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Nyos 120, the chamber is pretty big in this sump for the Reefer 170. I'm thinking even a 160 would fit but not going to change that now.
Any concerns that it might be oversized? I used to run skimmers that were way too oversized (total water volume wise) and they never pulled any skimmate after awhile. There was just a really perfect sweetspot.

That's one of the last pieces of equipment I don't have yet, just because I can't decide what to get. I've been looking at the Simplicity 120. It's a DC pump too that you can adjust, so it has a lot of different adjustments that might work out, and being a DC pump should be fairly quiet. I've seen a lot of people with great success with the Bubble Magus Curve 5 too, and even the extremely affordable IceCap k2-50. I can't believe that thing works so well, it's tiny.

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure the Nyos 120 is a good fit, could always use it for a future upgrade and it would still handle it. I have a Curve 5 sitting in the garage that won't get used on this tank because this Nyos skimmer rocks.

NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you keep the controller board relative to the tank stand, just propped up next to it? Would there have been enough room to mount the equipment within the 170 stand?

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do you keep the controller board relative to the tank stand, just propped up next to it? Would there have been enough room to mount the equipment within the 170 stand?
Yes there probably would have been enough room inside the stand if i decided to mount everything inside, would have been too much clutter for my taste. The board currently is next to the stand, painted to match. Down the road i will redo it with smoked glass and into a cabinet, for now it is only temporary but also have to be pleasing to the eye.

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a busy week! Dialed everything in, tank is fully cycled using Dr. Tim's and all levels are stable. Stopped by AquaSD and left with a HUGE box of goodies. Always love supporting small businesses especially one with the best livestock hands down in SD. Thanks Will! Everything is acclimating for a few days while adjusting to the lighting and flow. Next update coming soon!

4E0wiDV.jpg

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a lot of corals. did you buy them that large, or did they grow out in the tank? Couldn't have grown out that fast right? Pretty awesome.

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a lot of corals. did you buy them that large, or did they grow out in the tank? Couldn't have grown out that fast right? Pretty awesome.
Being in the military i don't have time to watch frags grow as every 3 years i'm moving. So it's always been colonies to get the full blown look for as long as possible before being broken down and i hate seeing frag plugs :)

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being in the military i don't have time to watch frags grow as every 3 years i'm moving. So it's always been colonies to get the full blown look for as long as possible before being broken down and i hate seeing frag plugs :)

That's really great. Tough to keep moving, especially with a tank!

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a few more colonies of various hammers plus a nice colony of gold Aussie hammer, my euphyllia garden is coming along nicely.

KUARBrO.jpg

eG5Up0L.jpg

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost there. GFO and carbon reactors are tuned and running perfectly.

8LhNd8A.jpg

Picked up a Hannah magnetic stirrer today to stir the Kalkwasser and it's great to use. Didn't feel like stirring everyday so it's definitely worth the money to save the hassle.
d8yyHsr.jpg

This Nyos skimmer is a beast, this is 1 day of skimming, coffee black and it smells if i don't clean it out every 3 days. Totally impressed.
uSltJNE.jpg

x0bqMs1.jpg

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE update coming soon after everything acclimated but I've done RBTA's dominated tank, mixed reef, acans dominated, so for this one i've decided to do a Euphyllia tank. I love LPS and the moving motion of everything so as soon as things settled, i'll get an update up.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE update coming soon after everything acclimated but I've done RBTA's dominated tank, mixed reef, acans dominated, so for this one i've decided to do a Euphyllia tank. I love LPS and the moving motion of everything so as soon as things settled, i'll get an update up.

Oh sounds like fun! Yeah you're going to have some beautiful motion for sure.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back