Ricenoodle Reefer 170 Euphyllia Paradise

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's my Tank as of today:) Below is an insight in my start in the hobby and the build thread up to this date.

So I'm in the military and moved back to San Diego after 8 years of being away I'm excited to finally be back in the mecca of reef tanks where it all started 12 years ago for me. 6 tanks since then and i decided this one will be a simplistic and minimalistic approach. Some of my previous tanks since day 1 and lots of lessons learned along the way.

Where it all started, a JBJ 12g Nanocube
Picture003.jpg

Graduated to a 24g Nanocube
100_0531.jpg

Next came the 34g Solana, all cubes and nanos, it's my preference.
101_0907.jpg

Another temporary Solana, didn't had it for long.
IMAG0028.jpg

Next came the 60g Cube, my fav up to that point.

102_1875.jpg

102_1731.jpg

102_1737.jpg

My latest 60g cube
8-jpg.315497

After weeks of searching, i've settled on the Red Sea Reefer 170 for the rebuild. Equipment are starting to come in day by day and I'll be updating the progress here. The plan is a mixed reef but i'm a big LPS and anemones fan so it'll probably gravitate toward that direction or maybe even a species dominated tank So far this is what i'll be running on this system:
  • Red Sea Reefer 170 Rimless
  • Ecotech WR30W Pro Gen 3
  • Dual MP10WQD
  • Nyos Quantum 120
  • Sicce Syncra Silent 2.0
  • Apex Classic
  • Tunze Osmolator
reefer_170_white_web.jpg
[/MEDIA]

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saved this from my last build when i was in Seattle.

QguZg5V.jpg

Then over the last week stuff arrived day by day.
F1K0hl7.jpg

Given the 568 gpm of the Hydra 2.0 and 43 total volume of the tank, it'll give me 13x turnover rate, give and take a few feet for head loss and it should be right around 10x, just what i needed. Any other flow will be regulated by the MP10's within the tank. FYI when you get any Red Sea tank it uses their proprietary socks at $10 a piece... But given any tank i've had i've cycled at the most 7 socks through during the life of it so it's not bad i suppose.

wsSR1lJ.jpg

Couldn't decide if i wanted variable 40 degrees flow for the output or if i wanted fixed so i got both to try out, fumble on my part to order only 1 section of locline but that's an easy fix.

fU5fa97.jpg

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More goodies arrived today, although the system come with a 1.5 gal top off and a float valve, i opt for the Tunze osmolator, heard alot of good things about them, may as well do this tank right. Gotta verify the remaining space under the cabinet first and see how much refilling 1.5 gal will be for this tank before I order a bigger ATO container. My guess is I'll go that route sooner than later.
5bHGhno.jpg

Found a great deal on a Apex Classic on the local forums so it is a welcomed update from the ReefKeeper Lite i used in years past. Flashed the new firmware in 10 minutes and all new probes and probe holder are ordered and enroute. This thing sure is packed full with features!

AxtcCHq.jpg

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at this tank as well so I will be following your build, good luck!

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely packed on a pallet, super courteous communication throughout too from their shipping company.

20170810_163823_HDR.jpg

20170810_163823_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand is laminate and feels solid. There's a layer of dense foam padding for under the tank and the sump area to help with eliminate tank vibrations which is nice. Ttill have to do waterproofing and seal all the inside edges as i do with every tank as a extra measure.

2VblUiY.jpg

JPMPWwH.jpg

JPMPWwH.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to crack the box!

3jxbpei.jpg

I'm real OCD about leaks and water damage so before anything goes on, under the cabinet area has to get waterproof. Even though there's laminate and dense foam there, i rather be safe than sorry to protect the cabinetry. First i sealed all edges with aquarium safe silicone, in the off chance something scrape and peel off and a piece fall into the sump, it's still aquarium safe material.

Dr81AZO.jpg

Next i spray all interior area with waterproofing spray.

gyE7ZHx.jpg

All surfaces coated and good to go to dry.

X9haG0k.jpg

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location and angle set, wasn't going to lose one side of viewing and glass cleaning by having it next to the wall so i angled it to be viewable from anywhere in the living room. Next step after everything cure overnight is start to setup the sump, piping, add an extra layer of silicone around all the bulkheads, cause yeah can't be too safe. Then the rest of the equipment and dry fitting can start to go on.

oz22F0g.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup more of the sump tonight, all plumbing were greased and siliconed into place. Quick leak test of the overflow shows no leaks, always a plus. Going to let it sit for 24 hours. Skimmer installed and the GFO and carbon reactor are also in. Now to wait for one more rodi valve to come and i can start making water tomorrow. Sand and rocks are inbound also. Still have to build the control board for the Apex and all associated controllers plus the ones for the Tunze ATO & MP10's. Almost there.

5pSdO4a.jpg

cNcPVWW.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black sand arrived today, i think i'll only need 1.5 bags but will have to play by ear once i add. Not doing a DSB but will need enough for the Melanurus wrasse for sure.

3e7Jk1q.jpg

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always rinse your sand out properly. Great sand once cleaned and I've had good success with it over the years in all my tanks, just gotta make sure you rinse it out PROPERLY until the water is clear of sediments and yes that is an oily sheen on it fresh out the bag into a clean bucket.

20785920_1619309938113518_5554893553528690825_o.jpg

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clean sand in, XR30 setup. Time to build the control board and setup the water changing station. Any inputs, tips or advice let me know :)

20819589_1619655798078932_2354237485789087802_o.jpg

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great, coming along nicely! Will you be transferring corals from the 60 gallon to the new reefer?

OP
OP
ricenoodle

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i verified placement of all the equipment and measured everything out, drilled 2" holes and got 2" desk grommets at Lowe's and they filled in perfectly. Next i gave it 2 coats of glossy white with primer.

69hp3bW.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back