Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

U

User1

View Badges
Nitrate 50, Phosphate .92, alk 8.3

Interesting numbers by the way. I am starting to wonder if my lower phosphate is slowing my coral growth. I don't get it either because I am the worst at doing water changes with my current one being about 3 months ago if not 4 yet my phosphate according to Hanna's checker is .06.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those numbers are crazy haha.

Nutrient ratios have been discussed in another thread, and I’m curious if you think the nutrient ratio being 53:1 Nitrates:phosphates is related to your success.

Thoughts? @Thales @Big E @Randy Holmes-Farley
Just an FYI, when nutrient ratio's are discussed (such as the Redfield ratio) it is all sources of nitrogen to all sources of phosphorus. Not just nitrate and phosphate.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 50 mg/l gotta be feeding heavy. Need to try Pacific oysters, we heavy feed and NO3 at 3-5 mg/l but PO4 at 3-4 , a week ago got ICP results PO4 high, going to use lanthium chloride.

Our setup 85 gallon volume. 70+ oysters. We will never have another tank setup without oysters as part of the filtration system

Screenshot_20200609-182518.png

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. How does the newly settled acropora handle coralline in the ocean? Or is it a numbers thing and how they spawn?
I don't think we are sure. I would say a numbers thing.

U

User1

View Badges
Hi @Thales - hope all is well with you and yours. Quick question if you don't mind. I thought in episode 11 you mentioned some fish food you use or was going to try. What brand was it? I went back to look but for the life of me I'm not seeing it. I blend two different Hikari pellets in the auto feeder and was curious on this food.

Also - how are the corals in the home lab doing?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Thales - hope all is well with you and yours. Quick question if you don't mind. I thought in episode 11 you mentioned some fish food you use or was going to try. What brand was it? I went back to look but for the life of me I'm not seeing it. I blend two different Hikari pellets in the auto feeder and was curious on this food.

Also - how are the corals in the home lab doing?

I have no idea! LOL. I feed kinda everything.
Lab corals are doing well. I'll have to take some pics.

3d printing is helping me tidy a lot of stuff!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Thales. Sorry of I missed it somewhere but can you tell me what kind of rock your running in your systems? If any.
Your giving me confidence in bumping my phosphates back up here. Recently had a Nitrate OD due faulty test kit. Couldnt tell you where Nitrates where actually at.
Prior to overdose my phosphates where around .025. Things just seem off with phosphates running barely detectable now on salifert kit.
Nitrates are locked in around 15-20 ppm at the moment.
It's crazy though some of my shrooms did not like the super high Nitrates overdose some of them never looked better. Immediately colored up.
Maybe they liked the higher Nitrates but phosphates bottoming out is what got screwy.
Idk man I'm gonna check out your videos and continue to research your methods. I'm digging it

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Thales. Sorry of I missed it somewhere but can you tell me what kind of rock your running in your systems? If any.
Your giving me confidence in bumping my phosphates back up here. Recently had a Nitrate OD due faulty test kit. Couldnt tell you where Nitrates where actually at.
Prior to overdose my phosphates where around .025. Things just seem off with phosphates running barely detectable now on salifert kit.
It's crazy though some of my shrooms did not like the super high Nitrates overdose some of them never looked better. Immediately colored up.
Maybe they liked the higher Nitrates but phosphates bottoming out is what got screwy.
Idk man I'm gonna check out your videos and continue to research your methods. I'm digging it
In my own tanks, the biggest issue nutrient-wise was always phosphate, nitrate being secondary. I've learned especially for shrooms that a good phosphate level is just as important as lighting, feeding etc. and when my phosphate drops, the shrooms droop. In fact, right now I'm dealing with a major phosphate drop, I'm working on raising it back up right now.

Sorry for highjacking you're question, I just thought my 2 cents could help a little. :D
Good day and God bless!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my own tanks, the biggest issue nutrient-wise was always phosphate, nitrate being secondary. I've learned especially for shrooms that a good phosphate level is just as important as lighting, feeding etc. and when my phosphate drops, the shrooms droop. In fact, right now I'm dealing with a major phosphate drop, I'm working on raising it back up right now.

Sorry for highjacking you're question, I just thought my 2 cents could help a little. :D
Good day and God bless!
Lol by all means please do sir. It's been nearly impossible pulling info from some of you mushroom gurus hahahaha.
I keep hearing the same thing on the Phosphates and mushrooms doing well with them being elevated above the normal levels people seems to be running.
Where are your Nitrates running at the moment if you dont mind me asking?
During my Nitrate overdose I had a cpl mushrooms start throwing crazy colors they didnt have previously.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol by all means please do sir. It's been nearly impossible pulling info from some of you mushroom gurus hahahaha.
I keep hearing the same thing on the Phosphates and mushrooms doing well with them being elevated above the normal levels people seems to be running.
Where are your Nitrates running at the moment if you dont mind me asking?
During my Nitrate overdose I had a cpl mushrooms start throwing crazy colors they didnt have previously.
Oh, you flatter me! ;)
I haven't tested for about a week, but they've been around the 10-15ppm mark recently. I've been attempting to raise them back up to about 20-25 ppm, that's what I ran them at previously and they did amazing. I also have a 24g IM lagoon I'm running as a mushroom lagoon, I have no clue what the nitrates are but I'm going to guess they're pretty high lol Not even cyano survives in that tank! I'll see if I can remember to get some readings for you, from both tanks.
I'm by no means a guru, I'm very honored that you'd call me that!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks so much. Most of the rock is old feom
When I set up he system like 19 years ago. On the display the two big pieces are 90 and 70 pounds. I believe that rock is Tongan, and I know some of the other rock is Tongan as well. I added some real reef rock to some of the lab tanks.

U

User1

View Badges
Just wanted to say that while my Friday was a lovely furlough Friday I listened to episode 13 and had a few good laughs. Thanks again for the both of you putting this on.

And yes, it is about a differing of opinions. I usually send the thanks to you but please pass along my thanks to Terence as well. Oh - and yeah. We are in for a world of sh !t as you put it at the beginning :D All the best to you and yours.

BTW - loved the nugget about Buckaroo Banzai - you have a way of getting zingers in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User1

View Badges
The segment on food and feeding corals was really great. Have you ever spoke to Gerald Heslinga over at indo pacific sea farms? I believe it was him working with Tropicorium of Detroit of coral food. Would be interesting to see if it would help at all although I'm sure you already have a nutrient rich food for them.

I was just editing some diving videos last night and you are 100% correct in your thought about feeding. This particular video was early morning through a cave and it shows a lot of particles in the water. Hobbyist are some what nutty trying to keep clear water by using filter pads and socks. Corals more than likely need it.

Do you use a skimmer or is it controlled while feeding? Just wondering. When I feed coral food I turn mine off for a few days.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The segment on food and feeding corals was really great. Have you ever spoke to Gerald Heslinga over at indo pacific sea farms? I believe it was him working with Tropicorium of Detroit of coral food. Would be interesting to see if it would help at all although I'm sure you already have a nutrient rich food for them.

I was just editing some diving videos last night and you are 100% correct in your thought about feeding. This particular video was early morning through a cave and it shows a lot of particles in the water. Hobbyist are some what nutty trying to keep clear water by using filter pads and socks. Corals more than likely need it.

Do you use a skimmer or is it controlled while feeding? Just wondering. When I feed coral food I turn mine off for a few days.

Rock!

I spoke to Gerald a long time ago.
It seems most of the coral foods now adays are pretty good.

I do use a skimmer and it is not controlled while feeding. My sump is so big that most anything that goes in it will either be skimmed or settle. I wanted a controllable return pump so I could slow down turnover during feeding, but that hasn't happened yet.

Thanks again!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how you utilize the crawl space! Any tips for doing this?

Make sure you have a way to get the plumbing through the floors. Put all the equipment you need to regularly check or maintain by the door so you can see it and get to it easily. Do better cord/electrical than is in the above video (It is much better now), and have areas for your plugs/controller that are away from the sumps. Install a vent fan. Use permanent rubber mats to save your knees. Install a faucet or run a hose under there. Install a light that comes on when you open the door.

That's what I got offhand!

U

User1

View Badges
Really great video. You had some massive water flow going in the tanks in your office - could go surfing :)

You really have a great attitude, clear passion, and an amazing job that ties it all together. It is like the trifecta of awesome. I honestly believe you would be great at speaking to certain age groups who are interested in marine biology and the hobby as a whole. You can just feel it if that makes sense (like how Jack Burton felt after taking a drink from the six demon bag in big trouble in little china :) ).

Anyway I am really interested in the whole water movement you had going on in the lab. I don't recall how it was in the display but I think it is a really great topic if you can list it for future skimate podcasts. I've personally always wanted a surge type setup but worried about the pressure it would cause on the tank side walls. I'd like a larger tank or at least redo the design I currently have and see if it is possible to design it in. I know people do not like rock walls but I think a peninsula type design with a 30" tall rock wall being crashed into could make for an interesting look. Not sure but anyway I know you mentioned previously about water movement in the tank vs flowing through the sump. Something I continue to investigate.

Edit: I also am not sure what my phosphates are at. I checked after watching this and Hanna's HI736 kit reports 33 ppb 0.101 ppm.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back