Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you run it at 78 for the NPS ?
I just looked, it runs aroudn 78-80. I run it like that because it is a nice average that isn't to heat loaded for when it gets hot here. I'll let it drop in the winter.
Not all NPS like it cooler. :D

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this in another thread just now and thought it might be helpful to bank it here

I have been dosing lanthanum chloride into my skimmer for almost 2 years now into my Bill Wann skimmer. Started at 10ml diluted into 1000ml DI dosed at 30ml a day (though that has changed over time, I have played with concentrations and dosages over time). Phosphate started at 1.6 and has been as low as .2 but is now at .72. I feed a lot, and have been feeding more lately to keep baby coral happy. The road to low phosphate via lanthanum dosing is long and likely forever if you feed a lot. I may or may not up my dosing of lanthanum after the spawning I am waiting for this month happens or doesn't happen.
I am not really worried about high phosphate and started dosing lanthanum in the skimmer at lower amounts because it was easy and Craig Bingman was interested if it would work - I know me, I am not going to deal with clogged filters (I have no mechanical filtration for that reason). It seems to have brought the general level down, and as I say, I may, just for fun, try to get it lower.
YMMV

U

User1

View Badges
I posted this in another thread just now and thought it might be helpful to bank it here

I forget who's dosing model I followed but I rigged up an iv type drip of LC into a zillion micro filter sock over time. It worked well but did clog up pretty quick from what I recall. Never tried into the skimmer... Great tip!

Hope all is well.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forget who's dosing model I followed but I rigged up an iv type drip of LC into a zillion micro filter sock over time. It worked well but did clog up pretty quick from what I recall. Never tried into the skimmer... Great tip!

Hope all is well.
Into the skimmer is so easy and works very well.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales , have you noticed any negative effects from LC dripping? Do you keep any bi-valves in your tank? I am contemplating an LC drip but have heard thoughts floated that it may have residual effects on bi-valves.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be taking a break from posting on r2r. If anyone has questions for me, please get ahold of me elsewhere. Thanks and happy reefing!
Thats a bummer! I do enjoy reading your posts and reef tank insights. I for one will miss them.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AAA_5967.jpg

Current Nitrate 16, current phosphate .18

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is amazing! I feel a little better about my slightly higher PO4...

Love all the different species in there
Mine is now at .19. Sometimes a bit less. But after it bottoming out and having to dose, I can live with under .2 though would prefer .08 or so!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What differences do you see at .08 and .2?
Hard to say as it doesn't stay long at .2 as I add phosguard in. I had a horrid bryopsis issue which I'm treating so I expect no3 and po4 to be higher as the algae isn't uptaking those nutrients and putting it back in system. --back to dosing nopox and zero (I had way too low of both before) I just want some po4 so picked .08-.1 as my targets

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say as it doesn't stay long at .2 as I add phosguard in. I had a horrid bryopsis issue which I'm treating so I expect no3 and po4 to be higher as the algae isn't uptaking those nutrients and putting it back in system. --back to dosing nopox and zero (I had way too low of both before) I just want some po4 so picked .08-.1 as my targets
Gotcha. Thanks.
I don't think algae issues have much at all to do with nutrient levels in tanks - this Sunday at 2pm MACNA Milwaukee for more info. :D

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Thanks.
I don't think algae issues have much at all to do with nutrient levels in tanks - this Sunday at 2pm MACNA Milwaukee for more info. :D
what is that? And where? Are you saying high no3 or po4 do not cause high nutrients thus algae?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is that? And where?
Are you saying high no3 or po4 do not cause high nutrients thus algae?
no3 and po4 are nutrients. I don't think what some consider high levels of them directly cause algae, but it is more that I think lowering those levels does not help control algae.

When my nitrate was 70 and phosphate was 1.6 for years I didn't have algae problems. I don't have them with the current levels either.

Here is a talk from 2014 about nitrate and posphate

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back