Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the old tale ( :) ) that sunlight provoke algae growth is a fresh water myth that´s only is valid in low light aquariums which was very common in the old days of fresh water aquarium. Those days - the man made light was so bad that not even algae could grow.

Today - with good light in both fresh and saltwater, algae will grow whatever and every aquarium owner need to handle algae in spite off they have direct sunlight or not - especially in reef aquarium and heavy planted aquarium.

My aquarium get some sunlight during summer afternoons and the corals in that corner - just love it.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More puttering in the tank.
I had some of Hurlock's efflo that needed to be cut back because it was growing into stuff, shading and blocking some flow. Efflo has a crazy thick skeleton, so it hard to cut with bone shears in easy conditions - in this spot, there was no way to get an angle to even begin a cut. I got an hand saw that accepts hacksaw blades and reciprocating saw blades, and went to town. Only took about 20 minutes of easy sawing. I had to be gentle because lots of vibration could cause other corals a structures to fall down. This went pretty well and I am happy.

Before
IMG_5526.jpg

After
IMG_5552.jpg

During cutting
IMG_5534.jpg

IMG_5540.jpg

views of one of the pieces cut
IMG_5549.jpg

IMG_5547.jpg

IMG_5550.jpg

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great mixed reef!! Love the diversity of corals. It is looking a little packed. I think you should trim it and send the trimmings to me, hah! Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great mixed reef!! Love the diversity of corals. It is looking a little packed. I think you should trim it and send the trimmings to me, hah! Thanks for sharing.

I want the tank to be a solid block of coral! Come over and I'll cut you some frags!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 1.38.03 PM.png
Added a couple inches of water to the sump this morning, you can see on the graph the effect it had on all three temp probes, smptmp - sump temp, BT_temp - secret home lab, DT_tmp - Display tank. The sump is essentially a 180 gallon under the house and was down a few inches because I was skimming aggressively. My saltwater holding is also under the house and sits at about 65 degrees.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2019-11-21 at 1.38.03 PM.png
Added a couple inches of water to the sump this morning, you can see on the graph the effect it had on all three temp probes, smptmp - sump temp, BT_temp - secret home lab, DT_tmp - Display tank. The sump is essentially a 180 gallon under the house and was down a few inches because I was skimming aggressively. My saltwater holding is also under the house and sits at about 65 degrees.
I knew it! I knew it! There's a secret lab, there. Is it like the Bat cave? Hit a note on baby grand, and wham O!!! Escape from the real world. ......heehee

Man, if those wall could talk.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you mind if I ask what coral this is?

Edit: Also apologies. I forgot to say thank you for sharing the video. I enjoyed it. I was just zoning on this coral for some reason. It caught my eye and wanted to add it to my list if I think I can keep it down the road.

1574375093447.png
Some kind of Acropora carduus. Red dragon or blue dragon or some common name like that. :D
Are you in the Bay Area?

U

User1

View Badges
Some kind of Acropora carduus. Red dragon or blue dragon or some common name like that. :D
Are you in the Bay Area?

No, I'm not. Interesting enough I just finished a week at our client offices across from Moffett Field a month back before they moved locations. That was a swell daily commute :) I'm not far though being outside Sacramento.

BTW I'm guessing the saw is what you spoke about in the pod cast? Also thank you for the coral's name. Will give me something to read up / research on.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm not. Interesting enough I just finished a week at our client offices across from Moffett Field a month back before they moved locations. That was a swell daily commute :) I'm not far though being outside Sacramento.

BTW I'm guessing the saw is what you spoke about in the pod cast? Also thank you for the coral's name. Will give me something to read up / research on.
That is the saw I used, I think I linked a different one because I got mine from a local store.
If you are gonna be near Alameda let me know - I'd be happy to cut you a frag of that coral and whatever is needs to be cut. :D

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank!!! Following along now.

I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this, but I just gotta say- I absolutely love the podcast!! I think you guys are awesome!

I actually just discovered it a couple weeks ago. But I have long commutes to work, so needless to say, I am all caught up from the first up until now. Looking forward to the next episode!! You guys bring up very good points and give plenty of food for thought.

- oh and by the way, don’t you worry- I wont just give 4 stars, you’ll get all 5 from me!! Haha

U

User1

View Badges
That is the saw I used, I think I linked a different one because I got mine from a local store.
If you are gonna be near Alameda let me know - I'd be happy to cut you a frag of that coral and whatever is needs to be cut. :D

Very kind of you, and thanks. I may have to remind you after the first of the year :)

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank!!! Following along now.

I apologize if this is not the appropriate place for this, but I just gotta say- I absolutely love the podcast!! I think you guys are awesome!

I actually just discovered it a couple weeks ago. But I have long commutes to work, so needless to say, I am all caught up from the first up until now. Looking forward to the next episode!! You guys bring up very good points and give plenty of food for thought.

- oh and by the way, don’t you worry- I wont just give 4 stars, you’ll get all 5 from me!! Haha
That is wonderful. Thanks so so much!

U

User1

View Badges
BTW - I don't think I played the game correctly. The title is guess the phosphates and I really have no clue. I seem to recall one of your videos that you mentioned it was high - or that you didn't care (maybe wrong term but not concerned). I'm not sure what high is these days but since I was going back and reading through the thread I figured I'd test mine :) Hanna's ULR reported 61 ppb which is .19 ppm'ish? While that kit was out I ran the alk test and see that it is saying 8.2 while the trident is saying 8.2. Close enough :D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 55 54.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.9%
Back