OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - I don't think I played the game correctly. The title is guess the phosphates and I really have no clue. I seem to recall one of your videos that you mentioned it was high - or that you didn't care (maybe wrong term but not concerned). I'm not sure what high is these days but since I was going back and reading through the thread I figured I'd test mine :) Hanna's ULR reported 61 ppb which is .19 ppm'ish? While that kit was out I ran the alk test and see that it is saying 8.2 while the trident is saying 8.2. Close enough :D

Today's Phosphate test .65. Guess the nitrate?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sleeping Magnificent Foxface sleeping. Taken in the dark with iphone 11

Sleepy boy foxface.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Sleeping Magnificent Foxface sleeping. Taken in the dark with iphone 11

Sleepy boy foxface.jpg

I like those fish. I have the poor man's two in college normal Foxface and he does similar things :) I was a bit skeptical when I purchased mine because it was so small but turns out to be a real fun fish that my little nephew digs. I swear it plays hide and seek with him.

Edit: You have mad photo skills - nice job.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent parameter comparisons from 11/22/19.
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.13.25 AM.png
Note to self: Don't buy any more test kits for comparison. Let other people drive themselves nuts with the results. ;Blackeye

McDam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious though why the mindstream seems to be so far off for all readings? Product issues? or just needs another disk?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious though why the mindstream seems to be so far off for all readings? Product issues? or just needs another disk?
It has never really been on for me. Trending has seems ok, but some of the numbers themselves have always been 'off'. That there is no way to check or calibrate a single parameter makes this hard. Some other people seem to have more useful results, mine are kind of crazy. I would love to champion it, but I can't. I hope they figure it out.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note to self: Don't buy any more test kits for comparison. Let other people drive themselves nuts with the results. ;Blackeye
Insanity right? Don't do it. I am doing it for broader reasons, and would love to just run my tank! That said, I sure have opinions over what testing methods I like - none of them! LOL.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3-N on the Hach DR890 is tricky because of how you have to shake vigorously for a minute, and if you do it differently, you will get a different result. This is why I think the Aquarium Water Testing is off compared to mine. They also use a newer device, but I don't think that matters. They also recently changed hands, so the test might be shaken differently than before.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had time to read the whole thread so excuse me if this was covered here but wouldn't this be somewhat normal ratios of N : P in aquariums? I understand the numbers are higher than most want but I have seen many positive results with a greater than Redfield ratio of 16:1. When those ratios are less than 16:1 N : P I have noticed things can be less stable and a little more unforgiving. I am a believer in ratios more so than numbers alone (within limits). If you would have started the thread with stating phosphate was 1.28ppm and nitrate was 5ppm I would be more concerned. Just my thoughts, maybe I'm wrong.

U

User1

View Badges
Recent parameter comparisons from 11/22/19.
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 10.13.25 AM.png

Didn't know you had a mindstream. Which tank (home or work) out of curiosity? Especially since I know you also run a Trident.

I sent off an ATI ICP last week and the results are inline with the Tridents. I'm ignorant of course and not trying to spawn corals but I don't see why MS tried to measure everything at once. To me it makes more sense to start with a blank disc, treat it as a clock face, and start with 2 or 4 tests. As you work those out you can add. Also ICP while it has its own issues you can get a lot of the data MS offers if that is the route you want to go.

Of course that isn't real time but that is another story all together.

Edit: I know you already know this and more with what I wrote - it was more just talking.

Edit 2: Are you still getting discs and route estimate as to the last one received? Seems like they went radio silent... So obviously a lot of drama - just wondering your thoughts from a respected hobbyist point of view who doesn't mix works or b.s. .

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had time to read the whole thread so excuse me if this was covered here but wouldn't this be somewhat normal ratios of N : P in aquariums? I understand the numbers are higher than most want but I have seen many positive results with a greater than Redfield ratio of 16:1. When those ratios are less than 16:1 N : P I have noticed things can be less stable and a little more unforgiving. I am a believer in ratios more so than numbers alone (within limits). If you would have started the thread with stating phosphate was 1.28ppm and nitrate was 5ppm I would be more concerned. Just my thoughts, maybe I'm wrong.
Dunno. I kind of ignore the redfield ratio of 16:1 because that is for phytoplankton. I am sure there are some ratios but they are likely very fungible. You may be right!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't know you had a mindstream. Which tank (home or work) out of curiosity? Especially since I know you also run a Trident.

Home. Setting up wifi at work is a nightmare. Was beta testing.

I sent off an ATI ICP last week and the results are inline with the Tridents. I'm ignorant of course and not trying to spawn corals but I don't see why MS tried to measure everything at once. To me it makes more sense to start with a blank disc, treat it as a clock face, and start with 2 or 4 tests. As you work those out you can add. Also ICP while it has its own issues you can get a lot of the data MS offers if that is the route you want to go.

Not anymore!
Edit: I know you already know this and more with what I wrote - it was more just talking.
I like talking

Edit 2: Are you still getting discs and route estimate as to the last one received? Seems like they went radio silent... So obviously a lot of drama - just wondering your thoughts from a respected hobbyist point of view who doesn't mix works or b.s. .
I didn't know what was going on. Now we all do. Shame.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back