Rich Ross - Home Tank - guess the phosphate

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think the key to controlling unwanted algae are herbivores. I don't buy the idea of nutrient control for stopping algae growth because we see so many tanks with 'good' levels and algae. So besides the cycles tanks go through when new, its all about the herbivores. A few times I have had to remove a particular herbivore (like a foxface with a taste for clams!), and had algaes pop right up.
Also, coral cover helps by robbing algae of a place to grow. There are a couple of spots that bryopsis grows that I deal with manually every couple of weeks.
IMHO Its all about 'coral cover' - or some other cover.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really great video. You had some massive water flow going in the tanks in your office - could go surfing :)

You really have a great attitude, clear passion, and an amazing job that ties it all together. It is like the trifecta of awesome. I honestly believe you would be great at speaking to certain age groups who are interested in marine biology and the hobby as a whole. You can just feel it if that makes sense (like how Jack Burton felt after taking a drink from the six demon bag in big trouble in little china :) ).

Anyway I am really interested in the whole water movement you had going on in the lab. I don't recall how it was in the display but I think it is a really great topic if you can list it for future skimate podcasts. I've personally always wanted a surge type setup but worried about the pressure it would cause on the tank side walls. I'd like a larger tank or at least redo the design I currently have and see if it is possible to design it in. I know people do not like rock walls but I think a peninsula type design with a 30" tall rock wall being crashed into could make for an interesting look. Not sure but anyway I know you mentioned previously about water movement in the tank vs flowing through the sump. Something I continue to investigate.

Edit: I also am not sure what my phosphates are at. I checked after watching this and Hanna's HI736 kit reports 33 ppb 0.101 ppm.

You compared me to Jack Burton? That is the 3rd most awesome comparison ever. :D
Let me know if you have specific flow questions I might be helpful with

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO Its all about 'coral cover' - or some other cover.
It is harder for algae to grow where cca or coral are living, but there are tons of nooks and crannies where it can flourish and gain a toehold in my tank and any tank.

U

User1

View Badges
You compared me to Jack Burton? That is the 3rd most awesome comparison ever. :D
Let me know if you have specific flow questions I might be helpful with

:)

I probably have too many questions on flow but do you run a similar velocity or flow within your home display? If you look at the tank in your discussion on Raising Octopuses in Home Aquarium at the 9:41 mark the holding tank or sump has a 2 to 3 inch wave it seems. A few times in the video I can see the tanks in the back having similar patterns.

I was just curious as it is something I'm working on in my display. Gyres have some nice options but placement is key. I'm also using 1" sea swirls on my returns so those are somewhat static although I adjust them using the apex. Trying to keep a young mixed reef is challenging for me anyway so always learning so my torch and hammer corals don't get mad at me. Flip side is I see some really interesting coral polyp extension.

No matter way I was really impressed with the flow in that tank. You could probably surf on the wave :D Hope all is well with you and yours.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Thales - beautiful set up - I think a very high flow is also very helpful. But - your system is totally awesome

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)

I probably have too many questions on flow but do you run a similar velocity or flow within your home display? If you look at the tank in your discussion on Raising Octopuses in Home Aquarium at the 9:41 mark the holding tank or sump has a 2 to 3 inch wave it seems. A few times in the video I can see the tanks in the back having similar patterns.

That was great flow. That wave action has to do with the shape of the tank, the position of the pump, and the particular pump. That was a big Jabeao and it produced that best wave I have ever had. I don't use them much due to issues with automation integration. In the dispaly I have simialr flow, but less of a wave because the the tank isn't tall enough. My flow in all tanks changes through out the day, changing direction,velocity and sytle. Every 4 hours or so, all the pumps come on full at the same time - in the display that alternates:
One - the left pumps come on 5 mintues before the right, then all for 5, then left for five
Two - the opposite of one
and so on

I was just curious as it is something I'm working on in my display. Gyres have some nice options but placement is key. I'm also using 1" sea swirls on my returns so those are somewhat static although I adjust them using the apex

In the display, I have two WAV's 3 gyres, a return with spin streams for dead spots, a regular return, a closed loop with spin streams and penductors in the back corners facing the midde. I lile gyres either along the top of the water or sideways along a wall.

Trying to keep a young mixed reef is challenging for me anyway so always learning so my torch and hammer corals don't get mad at me. Flip side is I see some really interesting coral polyp extension.

Coral happiness can be flow dependent. All my Euphyllia in the display don't get wicked flow.

No matter way I was really impressed with the flow in that tank. You could probably surf on the wave :D Hope all is well with you and yours.

Haha! Thanks. I hopy you and yours are good too!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loved the video, how do we start a Gofund me to re-plumb, re-wire and organize your crawlspace? I mean that will all due respect.
A lot has been redone, but I would be happy with a fund raiser!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BTW, salt creep and messy wires were a point of pride for me for a long time because both are just fine . :D
In your opinion :):):):):) I assume you do not have colored PVC obsessively compulsively under your tanks?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your opinion :):):):):) I assume you do not have colored PVC obsessively compulsively under your tanks?
Yeah in my opinion! No no, colored PVC.
The rant below has almost nothing to do with the recent posts on this topic! :)

I think the difference for me is that I don't really ever talk about how I think an OCD system is a waste of time and an really annoying waste of time when you have to move or replace something! Some people love it, which is fine, but OCD systems aren't practical or wanted by everyone.
For a long time my systems were constantly evolving, and perminizing anything was a pita. In the vid, many things under the house were pointed out as expiremental, so why perminize it? It's out of the way, safe, and ready to be changed at a moments notice. Why all the dangling tubing? Because I wasn't sure of 'final placement' and didn't want to waste tubing. Why is there some schedule 80 and some 40? Because I reused valves that had chunks of tubing glued in and didn't want to waste the pieces. Reuse and eco minded use of resources lead me to just not care that much how practical things look when they are out of sight for 95% of the time. Again, that is just me, and I love me some clean installs - the new secret home lab coral breeding system is pretty dang clean.
Part of the joy of having a built in and a crawl space is that it is out of sight out of mind. Though wiring in the pic below is more cleaned up now (Cleaned up - I wonder if it is actually organized any better or if it just cosmetic), but I still I cannot bring myself to do something fancy and spend time and mone, to make the APEX stuff more pretty - close the door and it it vanishes....:D
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.54.21 AM.png

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing gives you a better excuse to put off pump and skimmer maintenance like having to fight with fancy wire management to unplug it and get it looking good again when you are done. Now? I close my sump door and forget about it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah in my opinion! No no, colored PVC.
The rant below has almost nothing to do with the recent posts on this topic! :)

I think the difference for me is that I don't really ever talk about how I think an OCD system is a waste of time and an really annoying waste of time when you have to move or replace something! Some people love it, which is fine, but OCD systems aren't practical or wanted by everyone.
For a long time my systems were constantly evolving, and perminizing anything was a pita. In the vid, many things under the house were pointed out as expiremental, so why perminize it? It's out of the way, safe, and ready to be changed at a moments notice. Why all the dangling tubing? Because I wasn't sure of 'final placement' and didn't want to waste tubing. Why is there some schedule 80 and some 40? Because I reused valves that had chunks of tubing glued in and didn't want to waste the pieces. Reuse and eco minded use of resources lead me to just not care that much how practical things look when they are out of sight for 95% of the time. Again, that is just me, and I love me some clean installs - the new secret home lab coral breeding system is pretty dang clean.
Part of the joy of having a built in and a crawl space is that it is out of sight out of mind. Though wiring in the pic below is more cleaned up now (Cleaned up - I wonder if it is actually organized any better or if it just cosmetic), but I still I cannot bring myself to do something fancy and spend time and mone, to make the APEX stuff more pretty - close the door and it it vanishes....:D
Screen Shot 2020-10-29 at 12.54.21 AM.png
It was a great video.

Back