Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current numbers
Phosphate - .72
Nitrate - 75

From today, not everything is awake yet (Iphone vid, no filter)

and growing baby corals from the April and May spawn (Iphone pic, disco blue lights and theatrical gel)
IMG_8647.JPG

What a disaster these systems are with these levels!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup total disaster. Should tear it all down box it up and send it to me so i can scrap it for you;)

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did the hobby do to deserve an aquarist like you Ross !!!!

If people really starts pouring over in this thread - am scared but many scrubber , algae reactor , bacteria based product companies will be out of business ...

On a side note, are those large polyp NPS - T.veroni ?

Regards,
Abhishek

Last edited:

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current numbers
Phosphate - .72
Nitrate - 75

and growing baby corals from the April and May spawn (Iphone pic, disco blue lights and theatrical gel)
IMG_8647.JPG

Nice work. I have not run any tests in 8 or 9 years but I would imagine my levels are similarly high as I run zero mechanical filtration. Although my tank is not as nice as yours its a decent 120g mixed sps/lps tank. Yellow tang, blue tang, kole tang for algae control. Could probably just get by with the kole though...

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought I had high nitrates 50 ppm, I just started my homemade sulfur denitrator.
Current numbers
Phosphate - .72
Nitrate - 75

IMG_8647.JPG

And I thought I had high nitrates 50 ppm, I just started my homemade sulfur denitrator. Now we have over 110 Pacific oysters as part of filtration. 100 gallon volume.

2 of 79 carnation corals aka dendronephthya umbellulifera sp from Indonesia

IMG_20201028_233724065.jpg IMG_20201028_234104799.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Current numbers
Phosphate - .72
Nitrate - 75

IMG_8647.JPG

My gosh that’s beautiful Richard. Seriously excellent!

U

User1

View Badges
Current numbers
Phosphate - .72
Nitrate - 75

IMG_8647.JPG

I believe everything is amazing personally not that anyone asked me :)

Any hints on the next podcast drop and possible topics? Is Terence considering migrating from the Gen 1 to Gen 2 Philips lighting? Any thoughts on a deep diving around nutrients such as phosphate and nitrate? Any relationship to actual reefs around the world, nutrient levels vs. coral consumption (growth), and other non hot topic stuff but just coffee talk or over a beer? Any Neptune custom library or API support to get geo location and correlate to real world time, tides, etc?

Side note I'm having a nice cyno outbreak and on a whim looked at nitrate levels for which mine are reading 0 according to nyos kits. Dosing to 5 ppm to see how that goes. A lot lower than yours but it is a start. I think nutrients is going to be an awesome toping over the years as we start to collect data around the numbers and how corals may or may not use it.

Keep up the amazing work. You have many a talent clearly. All the best to you and yours.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the Rhizotrochus typus an both sides, big and fat. Happy corals, like the rest.
Thanks!
There is one Rhizo on the left, the white ones are something else and I sadly always forget their name!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If people really starts pouring over in this thread - am scared but many scrubber , algae reactor , bacteria based product companies will be out of business ...

On a side note, are those large polyp NPS - T.veroni ?

Regards,
Abhishek
THanks for the kind words.

One is a Rhizo and the others I forget the name - something with a J. :D

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe everything is amazing personally not that anyone asked me :)

Any hints on the next podcast drop and possible topics? Is Terence considering migrating from the Gen 1 to Gen 2 Philips lighting? Any thoughts on a deep diving around nutrients such as phosphate and nitrate? Any relationship to actual reefs around the world, nutrient levels vs. coral consumption (growth), and other non hot topic stuff but just coffee talk or over a beer? Any Neptune custom library or API support to get geo location and correlate to real world time, tides, etc?

Side note I'm having a nice cyno outbreak and on a whim looked at nitrate levels for which mine are reading 0 according to nyos kits. Dosing to 5 ppm to see how that goes. A lot lower than yours but it is a start. I think nutrients is going to be an awesome toping over the years as we start to collect data around the numbers and how corals may or may not use it.

Keep up the amazing work. You have many a talent clearly. All the best to you and yours.
Thanks!
We keep trying to record, but there has been a lot of stuff in his work he has had to deal with. We are trying this week.

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone get the impression from this thread that I think keeping SPS is easy?
I think you put serious effort into everything you do all the while claiming laziness, lol. I have to say I've been enjoying your provocative of thought post and presentations for quite a while. Seems I've learned a Galleon from you over the years about questioning "accepted" information.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales - So if someone is trying to even attempt breeding and manages to source a single species like say A.Millepora , what are some of the particular traits I should look for while procuring brood stock other than of course large to extra large size for biomass and same species of course ?

I know known geographical location will be awesome but dont think that’s possible except for a rough vague estimate of them being from Australia .

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thales - So if someone is trying to even attempt breeding and manages to source a single species like say A.Millepora , what are some of the particular traits I should look for while procuring brood stock other than of course large to extra large size for biomass and same species of course ?

I know known geographical location will be awesome but dont think that’s possible except for a rough vague estimate of them being from Australia .

Nothing really, if I understand what you are asking. :D If you can't get gravid corals from the same location, the goal will be to take the time to get them on the same cycle for spawning which can take a full year. Jaime just did it, so that is cool. It also looks like the next issue of CORAL will have a bunch of info on coral spawning

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing really, if I understand what you are asking. :D If you can't get gravid corals from the same location, the goal will be to take the time to get them on the same cycle for spawning which can take a full year. Jaime just did it, so that is cool. It also looks like the next issue of CORAL will have a bunch of info on coral spawning
what is interesting - My guess is that (if you look at my (in comparison to yours) pathetic tank. The interesting thing is - there is coral that I never 'planted' growing all over. There is some green coral (I do not know the name) - its an sps growing on a maxspect gyre - and all of the orange stetosa. Its all quite interesting. I think if they are happy 'where they are' they spawn - and due to filtration, etc - only a very few 'make it' (probably like on the reef)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back