Richard Ross: The Right Kind Of Lazy | MACNA 2017

Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Discussion' started by randyBRS, Feb 9, 2018.

1. randyBRS

randyBRS BRStv Apprentice :-P R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hi R2R!

Today we wrap up the MACNA Guest Speakers from 2017 with Richard Ross and his talk on the “Right Kind of Lazy”. :)

Sebae, rshober, Adele and 3 others like this.
    Tags:

2. cccharliecc

cccharliecc Well-Known Member

Great video....I can get behind being lazy....with a nice whiskey in hand!!!

3. revhtree

revhtree Owner Administrator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

Loved this video Richard @Thales!

randyBRS likes this.
  4. Greybeard

Greybeard Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Excellent :)

5. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Gotta love it. Most interesting portion for me was the alkalinity in relation to nutrient levels; myth busted?

6. CircleCityBill

CircleCityBill Member

Do some macna presenters withhold permission to publish their presentations? I've noticed that Sanjay Joshi's talks never make it to YouTube.

Mark Waltermire likes this.
  7. saf1

saf1 Active Member

That was farking enjoyable. Really, a good 40 minutes or so of quality time. Even giggled a few times. Personally speaking and it has nothing to do with being lazy (ok, maybe it does), but I've never been one to understand the whole sterile thing in reef keeping. Especially around certain coral types. Water changes, testing, etc. If it is automated then I can sort of get behind some of it but the whole numbers game, well, forget it. Doesn't work for me at all. I'll even go so far that I typically don't own a single test kit.

Actually, I lied. I did recently purchase a test kit because, well, I needed it to help test my new tank and its cycle. Once that is done though in a box it goes then off to a shelf in the garage. I let the corals more or less guide me. Doesn't work all the time but more often than not I get it right and everyone is happy. If I was to do a test I am sure it would be pathetic :( So yeah, this was enjoyable on many levels. Thanks for linking.

Hans-Werner, Adele and Ryanbrs like this.
  8. pharazon

pharazon Member

Awesome talk. I particularly enjoy his elation over the Belonoperca pylei feeding.

9. stevieduk

stevieduk Active Member

that was one of the best, if not the best, talks I have ever seen, very sensible. I wish we had shows like this in the U.K.

10. stevieduk

stevieduk Active Member

that was one of the best, if not the best, talks I have ever seen, very sensible. I wish we had shows like this in the U.K.

11. Ryanbrs

Ryanbrs Active Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

Yes, there are a handful who have professions or other conflicts which prevent them from sharing their talks on a global format like youtube. We respect their wishes.

12. Punchanello

Punchanello Member

I couldn't live with some of that mess. Get anxious just thinking about all those cables and plumbing

13. Hans-Werner

Hans-Werner Active Member

I like the video.
    No, it clearly showed with high phosphate corals will tolerate high alkalinity as high as 12° KH. I think nothing else can be stated about alkalinity in relation of nutrients.

14. Adele

Adele Member

Seems for me as soon as I start testing and adding things my tests tell me I need the whole system starts to crash.

15. Hans-Werner

I agree. Chasing numbers makes no sense, it should be the other way round: Let the corals guide you and then just check and see what they like ... and maybe you will be surprisedo_O. This is what this talk shows.:)

What is the sense of this hobby if not watching life at work?;Pompus Playing with technics and test kits?:confused:

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Adele likes this.
  16. madweazl

madweazl Valuable Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Is that all? He (Ross) runs the tank at approx 8.5 dKh now and the nutrient levels still arent an issue. Delbeek believed the higher nutrient levels were manageable because of the higher alkalinity but that is no longer the case in Ross' tank.

17. Hans-Werner

I guess it was an unproven proposition of Delbeek. This thesis can be verified or falsified. The tank and the talk of Ross seems to falsify Delbeek's thesis. Question everything until proven.

I understand that one of the biggest problems to the hobbyist and reef aquarium care in general is that repeated experimental results and proven facts can hardly be told from unproven propositions. This is why I think that scientific experiments of the recent years are quite helpful. If you read the complete articles you can draw your own conclusions.

Draft saved Draft deleted