Richard Ross: The Right Kind Of Lazy | MACNA 2017

cccharliecc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video....I can get behind being lazy....with a nice whiskey in hand!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loved this video Richard @Thales!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love it. Most interesting portion for me was the alkalinity in relation to nutrient levels; myth busted?

U

User1

View Badges
That was farking enjoyable. Really, a good 40 minutes or so of quality time. Even giggled a few times. Personally speaking and it has nothing to do with being lazy (ok, maybe it does), but I've never been one to understand the whole sterile thing in reef keeping. Especially around certain coral types. Water changes, testing, etc. If it is automated then I can sort of get behind some of it but the whole numbers game, well, forget it. Doesn't work for me at all. I'll even go so far that I typically don't own a single test kit.

Actually, I lied. I did recently purchase a test kit because, well, I needed it to help test my new tank and its cycle. Once that is done though in a box it goes then off to a shelf in the garage. I let the corals more or less guide me. Doesn't work all the time but more often than not I get it right and everyone is happy. If I was to do a test I am sure it would be pathetic :( So yeah, this was enjoyable on many levels. Thanks for linking.

pharazon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome talk. I particularly enjoy his elation over the Belonoperca pylei feeding.

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some macna presenters withhold permission to publish their presentations? I've noticed that Sanjay Joshi's talks never make it to YouTube.

Yes, there are a handful who have professions or other conflicts which prevent them from sharing their talks on a global format like youtube. We respect their wishes.

Punchanello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't live with some of that mess. Get anxious just thinking about all those cables and plumbing

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the video.
Most interesting portion for me was the alkalinity in relation to nutrient levels; myth busted?
No, it clearly showed with high phosphate corals will tolerate high alkalinity as high as 12° KH. I think nothing else can be stated about alkalinity in relation of nutrients.

Adele

I don't sing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was farking enjoyable. Really, a good 40 minutes or so of quality time. Even giggled a few times. Personally speaking and it has nothing to do with being lazy (ok, maybe it does), but I've never been one to understand the whole sterile thing in reef keeping. Especially around certain coral types. Water changes, testing, etc. If it is automated then I can sort of get behind some of it but the whole numbers game, well, forget it. Doesn't work for me at all. I'll even go so far that I typically don't own a single test kit.

Actually, I lied. I did recently purchase a test kit because, well, I needed it to help test my new tank and its cycle. Once that is done though in a box it goes then off to a shelf in the garage. I let the corals more or less guide me. Doesn't work all the time but more often than not I get it right and everyone is happy. If I was to do a test I am sure it would be pathetic :( So yeah, this was enjoyable on many levels. Thanks for linking.

Seems for me as soon as I start testing and adding things my tests tell me I need the whole system starts to crash.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes, testing, etc. If it is automated then I can sort of get behind some of it but the whole numbers game, well, forget it. Doesn't work for me at all. I'll even go so far that I typically don't own a single test kit.

I agree. Chasing numbers makes no sense, it should be the other way round: Let the corals guide you and then just check and see what they like ... and maybe you will be surprisedo_O. This is what this talk shows.:)

What is the sense of this hobby if not watching life at work?;Pompus Playing with technics and test kits?:confused:

Last edited:

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the video.

No, it clearly showed with high phosphate corals will tolerate high alkalinity as high as 12° KH. I think nothing else can be stated about alkalinity in relation of nutrients.
Is that all? He (Ross) runs the tank at approx 8.5 dKh now and the nutrient levels still arent an issue. Delbeek believed the higher nutrient levels were manageable because of the higher alkalinity but that is no longer the case in Ross' tank.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it was an unproven proposition of Delbeek. This thesis can be verified or falsified. The tank and the talk of Ross seems to falsify Delbeek's thesis. Question everything until proven.

I understand that one of the biggest problems to the hobbyist and reef aquarium care in general is that repeated experimental results and proven facts can hardly be told from unproven propositions. This is why I think that scientific experiments of the recent years are quite helpful. If you read the complete articles you can draw your own conclusions.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back