Ricordia mushrooms won’t grow?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had 5 rics for about 8mo now and not a single one has propagated. One has had 2 mouths the entire time, is open and colored up beautifully, but it won’t actually split into another mushroom. They are all over, some higher flow and light and some lower flow and light. They all look great but in the 8mo when I got them, not one has showed any sort of growth whatsoever (nor have they regressed or looked worse).
Any tips?

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you feed them? I give mine a single pellet of vitalis LPS each week and they grow and mulitply steady. When I didn't feed they mostly did what yours are doing.

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine regularly with Reef Roids. Minimum 4x per week. Make the Reef Roids into a thick mixture, but not so thick that you can't suck it into an eyedropper or syringe. Turn off the pump and spot feed each of the mushrooms. You will find that they eat more than you expect. It's really interesting - they open their mouths and suck it in slowly. I think I had about 6-8 mushrooms and all but one have split.

Last edited:

Willbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Ive had 1 florida recordia for about 7 months and about 1 month ago it sprouted a second mouth but isn't showing any further signs or progress of actually splitting. Very slow!

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine regularly with Reef Roids. Minimum 4x per week. Make the Reef Roids into a thick mixture, but not so thick that you can't suck it into an eyedropper or syringe. Turn off the pump and spot feed each of the mushrooms. You will find that they eat more than you expect. It's really interesting - they open their mouths and suck it in slowly. I think I had about 6-8 mushrooms and all but one have split.

Here are a few of them as examples:
These five orange ones were two in May.
1629754166207.png

These two large ones (2.5" across each) were one medium one in May
1629754518678.png

Not Ricordea, but all of these Rhodactis were small single ones a few months ago.
The two on the right are each 3" across.
1629754700696.png
1629754733140.png

Last edited:

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average, how long did it take for them to split?

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On average, how long did it take for them to split?
This is what I could figure out from my old pictures:
The first Ricordea split happened within about 2 months, but there is still one splitting now, so it has been spread out.
The fuzzy Rhodactis took 1 month. I think it was a little larger than a quarter when I got it.
The Superman Rhodactis (top one in the Rhodactis picture) is now on its second split after 5 months.
The green Rhodactis shown took 4 months. It was a little larger than a quarter when I got it.

For feeding, it was often almost every day because the tank is next to my desk
and it was a good way to avoid work :)

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I could figure out from my old pictures:
The first Ricordea split happened within about 2 months, but there is still one splitting now, so it has been spread out.
The fuzzy Rhodactis took 1 month. I think it was a little larger than a quarter when I got it.
The Superman Rhodactis (top one in the Rhodactis picture) is now on its second split after 5 months.
The green Rhodactis shown took 4 months. It was a little larger than a quarter when I got it.

For feeding, it was often almost every day because the tank is next to my desk
and it was a good way to avoid work :)
Well done, those are impressive results!!! Looks like I am going to have to up my feeding amount!!!

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a video of how I feed them for my Build Thread if you are interested.

What are you using to feed and what are you feeding with?
I do spot feed mine reef roids/ab+ mix pretty regularly. Along with mysis shrimp and pretty much whatever meaty foods fall on them when I'm feeding fish. Discos tend to go for the roids but Rhodactis, Ricordia, Yuma and all the rest tens to like chunky meaty foods more.

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to feed and what are you feeding with?
I do spot feed mine reef roids/ab+ mix pretty regularly. Along with mysis shrimp and pretty much whatever meaty foods fall on them when I'm feeding fish. Discos tend to go for the roids but Rhodactis, Ricordia, Yuma and all the rest tens to like chunky meaty foods more.
That's funny, because my discos won't eat anything. That is just reef roids in a thick mix. I use an eyedropper to feed them.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny, because my discos won't eat anything. That is just reef roids in a thick mix. I use an eyedropper to feed them.
Took more than a few times to get some of the discos eating roids but eventually they will if they are hungry. The ab+ may be helping but they will eat without it. I was hoping you where going to say you found a long feeding tube with skinny feeder tip. Can get super precise with that point lol

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took more than a few times to get some of the discos eating roids but eventually they will if they are hungry. The ab+ may be helping but they will eat without it. I was hoping you where going to say you found a long feeding tube with skinny feeder tip. Can get super precise with that point lol
If you consider one about 8 inches to be long, I have these too. They also have a fine point. The opening is actually a little smaller than on my eyedroppers.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you consider one about 8 inches to be long, I have these too. They also have a fine point. The opening is actually a little smaller than on my eyedroppers.

This is awesome and would for sure come in handy im going to have to check these out.

Back