Ridiculous tale of eel survival

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all,

so I bought a couple of garden eels from Liveaquaria about 2 months ago. I put them in a 20 long with a ton of sand and a heater, a power head and a sponge filter. They came in alive and one started eating, I never saw the other one eat. After a while I didn’t see either of them for weeks, assumed they had died. I turned off the tanks everything, their heating, water flow, light….everything. 2 months after this, I did a water change on this tank so I could receive some clownfish my friend bought for his new tank. I went to feed those clownfish today, and when I did, one of the eels came out looking right as rain. The other one ( which I never saw eat) also came out later. I am absolutely at a loss for how that’s possible, they had no oxygen, no heat, no food…nothing for months. And now their eating and coming out not even looking skinny..I don’t understand.

image.jpg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They didn’t even have any heat or oxygen! And it’s in my garage it gets cold!
I’ve killed garden eels in apparently ideal conditions, so my hat’s off to you sir! You just won the fish lottery for the year!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you induced some kind of hibernation. That’s amazing though.

OP
OP
Ishai Thatcher

Ishai Thatcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if you induced some kind of hibernation. That’s amazing though.
That’s sorta what I thought, maybe they just moved so little that they didn’t burn that many calories or need much oxygen. But it still baffles me, they are considered hard to care for.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back