OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an updated FTS.

A couple months ago I brought back my LTA... it was a good 12 inches across, and was just starting to take over the tank. It was super happy and had developed a gorgeous green color. Unfortunately it was just too big, so I brought it back to the local reef shop.

I've added a few additions including a elegance coral, and an ORA gigas clam. Growth has really started to take off.

image_4.jpg

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for those wondering, I am running full Triton at this point, and it's been at least 9 months without a water change. My dosing is up to 18ml a day of each Core7 element, and I'm dosing about 9 elements weekly based on ICP analysis.

I've dialed the weekly element dosing in based on every other month ICP analysis. The last report only needed minor adjustments so it's become pretty simple. I just added an apex reminder that lists how much of each element to dose.

I was skeptical of full Triton at first, but I couldn't be happier. I think my acros really love the stability, and the very large refugium has meant my mandarin is always fat and happy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added an inexpensive clip on fan in my cabinet... $13 from amazon. I’ve had temp spikes for a while now every afternoon, I think a combination of the lights, as well as the vortechs running faster during the day.

My temp spikes weren’t huge, just 1.5 degrees, but I figured more stability couldn’t hurt.

Here’s the results! Apex turns on the fan if the temp goes above 78.4

9C3B96D2-D606-4C1F-B268-C78E0583057E.png

I call that a good $13 spent.

Here’s the fan for those interested

SneakyTortuga

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on how it works. Seems like a great buy for $15

Just added an inexpensive clip on fan in my cabinet... $13 from amazon. I’ve had temp spikes for a while now every afternoon, I think a combination of the lights, as well as the vortechs running faster during the day.

My temp spikes weren’t huge, just 1.5 degrees, but I figured more stability couldn’t hurt.

Here’s the results! Apex turns on the fan if the temp goes above 78.4

9C3B96D2-D606-4C1F-B268-C78E0583057E.png

I call that a good $13 spent.

Here’s the fan for those interested

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated on how it works. Seems like a great buy for $15

Still keeping temps under control, never gets above 78.4. Haven’t changed the house temp at all, the house stays at 72.

You can see it positioned in the above sump shot. It’s not super close or anything. Just pointed at the open area with the skimmer. I’m sure it helps that my cabinet is open in the back.

Here’s the latest temps

0DADE78D-DD0B-441A-85D2-1F08E8A87EFE.png

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the new T5 Hybrid installation. It's the Aquatic Life 48" Hybrid. I have really high ceilings, so hanging the fixture from the ceiling wasn't going to happen, so I got the hanging arms to go with it. Out of the box, the 90 degree arm wouldn't screw into the horizontal hanger arm because the threads had paint on them! I ended up using some sand paper and running it between the threads with my fingernail over and over, along with some WD40 until I could screw it in. There were a few other little issues like that, but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Installation also benefited from changing out the screws they supplied with some star drive screws that were a bit longer, which where a lot easier to drill into the back of the stand.

I got a mixture of ATI bulbs to test and settled on 2 Blue Plus, 1 Purple Plus, and 1 Actinic. At first I tried all Blue Plus, but the tank looked a little too baby blue for my liking.

I've adjusted the Radions to add a 13K period during the morning till about 1pm then a 20K period till the evening. I also ended up removing the diffusers from the Radions... with the T5 I actually felt it was too flat, and removing the diffusers added a little bit of sparkle back to balance it out.

IMG_5532.JPG

IMG_5531.JPG

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a sadder note, 2 weeks ago I had left on vacation to Quebec, and had setup my Apex autofeeder to feed 3 times a day... or at least I though I had set it up. For some reason I forgot to actually turn the slider to AUTO instead of OFF!! So basically my fish didn't get fed for 5 days.

The good news is that most fish made it through okay, however I did lose my Foxface and my Midas Blenny. Also some of the my SPS looked a little pail, and a bunch of heads on my frogspawn looked bad. I'm guessing no food and my large fuge was enough to strip out all the nutrients during that week. I tried dipping the frogspawn to see if that might revive it a bit, but it didn't seem to make any impact. I guess I'm going to have to hope it grows back, or maybe frag off some of the dead heads.

So to replace my Foxface, I've added this beautiful Powder Blue.

IMG_5526.JPG

CoralDanimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome setup! I'm looking into the CD 100g system because of the great dimensions (48"x24"x20" LxWxH) and all the options with the stand/plumbing. Were there any decisions you would do over in terms of all the configuration choices CD gives you? Maybe the synergy overflow given the issues you had with the modular marine one? I'm curious where you store your dosing containers given the electrical compartment isn't super big.

Also, keep posting full tank shots :cool:

OP
OP
Righteous

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I’ve got the dosing containers on the left side of the cabinet on the floor. I went with the Neptune DDRs so that they looked nice knowing they’d be outside the stand. I do think I might have gone wider on the tank so there’d be more room in the cabinet. Maybe a 150g 60 wide? Overall though I’m really satisfied with how everything turned out. When I installed the T5 hangers I was also super pleased with the cabinet design... nice solid thick wood to drill into.

I also am a huge fan of the modular marine overflow... I think any setup issues I had with it might have seemed more annoying than they really were. It’s been dead silent since it’s been installed and I’m pushing a lot of flow thru it. I’m not using any filter materials or anything to quiet it down either. I was actually reading the other day a lot of people not happy with the synergy ghost overflows because they are really loud. So I was thankful I went modular marine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back