Rimless 180 or 225? What are the best dimensions? Eurobracing required?

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just talked to a LFS about a Planet Aquarium, we'll see how that goes. I have seen a lot of their tanks around Houston, and they all look pretty good, especially at the price. If I decide to move forward, I'll definitely be starting a build thread.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking what I see from Planet. I'm currently looking at their Crystaline tanks, the clear silicone on the ones I have seen are amazing compared to many others, and I love the frosted white background. Hadn't considered that before, but they will build a white overflow box, and if I can get white locline and white anemone guards for the wave pumps that would be cool...

Concerned about the 21" height at 30" deep, and after some suggested it, I built a faux tank and put it on the spot this weekend since I'm painting my office. Because the room is full of furniture and fish tanks I could only get these angled shots, which warp a little, I think it's going to work out fine... a bit of a sideways peninsula...

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really liking what I see from Planet. I'm currently looking at their Crystaline tanks, the clear silicone on the ones I have seen are amazing compared to many others, and I love the frosted white background. Hadn't considered that before, but they will build a white overflow box, and if I can get white locline and white anemone guards for the wave pumps that would be cool...

Concerned about the 21" height at 30" deep, and after some suggested it, I built a faux tank and put it on the spot this weekend since I'm painting my office. Because the room is full of furniture and fish tanks I could only get these angled shots, which warp a little, I think it's going to work out fine... a bit of a sideways peninsula...

IMG_0400.jpeg

IMG_0391.jpeg

do let us know how it goes as I was drooling over some a big peninsula tank from them.
have you thought about rearranging your office to fit a peninsula? just a thought...

how are the pricing on the crystalline tanks I have not seen them posted anywhere?

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest tank is 60x36x24, all 1/2” glass BUT with top eurobracing. The builder told me to go rimless I’d need 3/4” glass and the price nearly doubled.

Yes I went 36”wide, just remember most doorways are usually 30”-36”. With mine being 36” I had to roll my tank onto its back panel(we left it in the shipping crate for this part) and go through using the 24”height. There was 9 or 10 of us to carry. It wasn’t so bad.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless 72x30x24 from planet aquariums, and this thing is a BEAST of a tank. It’s 3/4” sides and a 1” bottom

B476676A-CA05-4BF5-9EF8-9C2CB101858C.jpeg

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately I would get exactly what YOU want. I went custom (96L 20W, and only 18 deep) and I'm in love with the size/functionality of it......

I too, could never imagine reaching into a 30" deep tank. my standard 24" or whatever it was 75g was bad enough.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do let us know how it goes as I was drooling over some a big peninsula tank from them.
have you thought about rearranging your office to fit a peninsula? just a thought...

how are the pricing on the crystalline tanks I have not seen them posted anywhere?
Will do. I do like the peninsula style, but I couldn't figure out how I would arrange it into my office. This 30" deep tank sticks out from the wall in such a way that it has some characteristics of a peninsula. I'll also try to only have wave pumps and returns on the back and far walls, so the two most visible sides are clear...

Prices are reasonable. I tried various sizes and shapes around the 150-180g range and they were mostly 2k-3k. However, to go 25" tall instead of 21" was like $4k, double the price...so crazy...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest tank is 60x36x24, all 1/2” glass BUT with top eurobracing. The builder told me to go rimless I’d need 3/4” glass and the price nearly doubled.

Yes I went 36”wide, just remember most doorways are usually 30”-36”. With mine being 36” I had to roll my tank onto its back panel(we left it in the shipping crate for this part) and go through using the 24”height. There was 9 or 10 of us to carry. It wasn’t so bad.
I wanted 36" wide, but after building a cardboard box of the tank, it just wouldn't work. In a fish room, fine, but in my office, it just blocked the door too much and filled the room. Same with a 66" or longer, wish I could, but just too much for the room.

Checked and my front door is 36", back french doors are double that though. Tank is 30" so we should be good.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rimless 72x30x24 from planet aquariums, and this thing is a BEAST of a tank. It’s 3/4” sides and a 1” bottom

B476676A-CA05-4BF5-9EF8-9C2CB101858C.jpeg
Awesome! Ohh, and is that a Planet steel stand? I am probably going to get one, and build panels myself to enclose it, but LFS didn't have any examples or pictures, so was wondering. Looks good.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately I would get exactly what YOU want. I went custom (96L 20W, and only 18 deep) and I'm in love with the size/functionality of it......

I too, could never imagine reaching into a 30" deep tank. my standard 24" or whatever it was 75g was bad enough.
I'm seeing a lot more of the shallower tanks. At first I was concerned and really wanted 24", mostly for the additional water volume, but after playing with my cardboard version, and reading more people online praising them, I'm feeling better about it.

I want to have two large rock piles with lots of space front back and sides to the glass. Height is really less of a deal than having to snorkel to work in the tank...and shoot, I've had an 18" high tank for the last 10 years and never really gave it much thought.

ReefingBliss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t decided yet. The current plan is to decide it the next couple months in order to get it set up by the end of the year.

Check out Waterbox too they do systems like RS and also custom. They do a 60x26x24 and a 72x26x24

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE.....that is one beautiful tank. I am off to your build thread now.
wow 1" bottom I bet it was not cheap.
It actually wasn’t bad. $3500 for the tank and metal stand.
And yea the 1” bottom is kinda crazy.... when I got inside the tank to mount the lights to the ceiling it was crazy because it looked like the tank is floating over the stand because the glass is so thick :)

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of Universal Rocks out of the Dallas area? They are a custom builder of high-end pools, spas, tank installs, etc. After spending a month trying to get what I want from Planet without success (they have switched over to factory pre-cut and drilled glass for everything, so anything custom is now 2x or 3x the cost...which at that point I might as well go with Reef Savvy or Elos), I was referred to Universal.

Skeptical at first, after talking to Tom over there, who spent several hours on the phone with me walking me through all the details, how they build by hand and why they do each think no, I was impressed. References and online reviews are good, and then their quote was completely reasonable.

Thoughts?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of Universal Rocks out of the Dallas area? They are a custom builder of high-end pools, spas, tank installs, etc. After spending a month trying to get what I want from Planet without success (they have switched over to factory pre-cut and drilled glass for everything, so anything custom is now 2x or 3x the cost...which at that point I might as well go with Reef Savvy or Elos), I was referred to Universal.

Skeptical at first, after talking to Tom over there, who spent several hours on the phone with me walking me through all the details, how they build by hand and why they do each think no, I was impressed. References and online reviews are good, and then their quote was completely reasonable.

Thoughts?
WHOA! When did planet stop doing customs? my tank was delivered within the last 6 months. crazy to think they stopped. :-/
wonder if they are trying to go the Red Sea/Waterbox route of all premade plug and play style systems?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHOA! When did planet stop doing customs? my tank was delivered within the last 6 months. crazy to think they stopped. :-/
wonder if they are trying to go the Red Sea/Waterbox route of all premade plug and play style systems?

I bet they are. kinda sucks as they where IMHO the place to go for custom unless you had the time and money for a reefsavy.

they did put the prices for there PNP crystalline rimless up on there website not to bad for made in the USA .

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?

I have not heard of them but sounds like there CS is great. if they can made what you want for a price you can afford and the reviews of other tanks are good I say go for it.

how many tank reviews do they have?

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not so much that they stopped doing custom, but they are apparently moving their rimless builds to their Crystaline line, which they build from pre-cut and drilled glass that they buy (from what I'm told) from the factory. So, in order to build any tank that they don't already have parts for, they have to order custom. However, for anyone who wants one of their pre-built sizes, they are great tanks, and relatively low prices.

I do want to stress that their Crystaline tanks are beautiful, that's what originally sold me on them. So, for standard builds, those tanks are quite a deal. Main issue for me was that no matter the size tank, they can only build 21" high...just do do the same tank 25" high was exactly 2x the price.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet they are. kinda sucks as they where IMHO the place to go for custom unless you had the time and money for a reefsavy.

they did put the prices for there PNP crystalline rimless up on there website not to bad for made in the USA .
Yep, you can price them right there, though you'll likely have to order through your LFS. Some great bundles if you can pick from standard sizes.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not heard of them but sounds like there CS is great. if they can made what you want for a price you can afford and the reviews of other tanks are good I say go for it.

how many tank reviews do they have?
I was originally referred by someone who worked for them and had good things to say. Google has like 40 reviews mostly of pools and spas and whole backyard builds, but a few tanks. 4.7 average rating. Not much on reef forums, so hard to say. Owners moved here from Australia and have been doing well. Their signature pre-made fake rock structures are all over Amazon...

I'm still waiting on some images from similar previous builds.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 123 58.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.7%
Back