Rimless 180 or 225? What are the best dimensions? Eurobracing required?

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, STILL...waiting on the latest quote...why does it take SOOOOOOOOO long to just get a price from someone, you would think they would be eager to make a sale...

I was originally planning on ordering this tank in August, but it is nearly September and still no contract. I'm starting to re-think the intermediary and find someone else locally to order through...not sure if that would help though...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Waterbox 230.6 and LOVE it. It is right in the ballpark of the dimensions you are looking at, 72x26x24. Really is worth a look.
I have a 10g Waterbox and it is high quality, and I have looked at the WB tanks, however, my space is limited and I really can't have a tank longer than 60". That limits the stock tanks I can get if I want to go 180g or larger, thus a custom. Given how many custom tanks there are mentioned in this forum, I am amazed at how difficult I have found it trying to order one...at a reasonable price at least...

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10g Waterbox and it is high quality, and I have looked at the WB tanks, however, my space is limited and I really can't have a tank longer than 60". That limits the stock tanks I can get if I want to go 180g or larger, thus a custom. Given how many custom tanks there are mentioned in this forum, I am amazed at how difficult I have found it trying to order one...at a reasonable price at least...
The Waterbox 190.5 is right in there. You give up a few gallons, but you have the dimensions are 60x25x24, and you save money by not having to go custom.

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for a Planet tank. Working with another retailer I was able to get my original 60 x 30 x 25 dimensions, for the full 180 gallons! They did require that I go with a PVC bottom, which wasn't ideal since it is heavier and a bit more expensive, but still, it should be awesome. Build thread to start shortly!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed an order for a Planet tank. Working with another retailer I was able to get my original 60 x 30 x 25 dimensions, for the full 180 gallons! They did require that I go with a PVC bottom, which wasn't ideal since it is heavier and a bit more expensive, but still, it should be awesome. Build thread to start shortly!

congrats on finding the tank you wanted with a price you can afford!
keep us posted I am excited to see the bad boy. is that rimless?

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting that they required the pvc bottom, as mine is 72x30x24 and they never even mentioned it to me. Mines just 1” glass on the bottom with a bottom trim and rimless up top

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think you're the one I mentioned to them, trying to get it. They claimed they couldn't do 1" and wouldn't do rimless above 21" with a glass bottom. This was the Dallas location, was yours built from a different one? I think they have had problems with previous builds, so don't want to do it any more...

Also, in the last year they have switched from their total custom builds, to sourcing the Crystal tanks at a discount. They buy large numbers of pre-cut and drilled panes, then build tanks from them. If you require a pane that cannot be cut from their pieces, the price goes way up...

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think you're the one I mentioned to them, trying to get it. They claimed they couldn't do 1" and wouldn't do rimless above 21" with a glass bottom. This was the Dallas location, was yours built from a different one? I think they have had problems with previous builds, so don't want to do it any more...

Also, in the last year they have switched from their total custom builds, to sourcing the Crystal tanks at a discount. They buy large numbers of pre-cut and drilled panes, then build tanks from them. If you require a pane that cannot be cut from their pieces, the price goes way up...
I’ll be honest, this actually concerns me a little bit that they would say this to you and never mention it to us. I’m going to have to call them now...

OP
OP
SkiCatTX

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, I just got off the phone with Jeff Acuff at Planet and he explained to me that with a rimless AND frameless, they don't want to do glass bottom. Mine doesn't have a metal or plastic frame around the bottom, or Eurobracing.

@GlassMunky, I looked at your build thread and I believe the picture shows a frame around the bottom, so that's the difference. With the frame, the glass is fine, but without it, or without a double reinforced bottom, bottom or top Eurobracing, they don't feel it would be strong enough. With the PVC bottom, they extend just a bit of the PVC under the vertical panes, which also helps to keep them from cracking or chipping, apparently a cause for failure of some frameless tanks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back